Organic food farmers & distributors must be working overtime to meet demand.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
The online catalogue I use to order is out of more items than ever before - products from organic distributors located from coast to coast.
Our orders are delivered by truck to our small isolated village and have been for years; but for the past few months, dozens of items are listed as 'out' with a date for next delivery which many times is pushed up to a later date.
Since it takes years to prepare a farm's soil to qualify as certified organic, it's a slow process to increase their numbers.
Weather factors, too, recently created problems when a large southwestern Wisconsin organic farm suffered destructive flooding.
To meet the demand, little by little all over the world, more farms go organic, despite problems.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Unbelievably, to me anyway, organic foods are starting to exist here. No idea what makes them organic as I doubt there's any kind of certifying body. Heck, there are zero labelling laws here for food items, never mind cosmetics or the like, so why would there be a certification board? And yet, I see the organic label starting to show up. Interesting...

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Unbelievably, to me anyway, organic foods are starting to exist here. No idea what makes them organic as I doubt there's any kind of certifying body. Heck, there are zero labelling laws here for food items, never mind cosmetics or the like, so why would there be a certification board? And yet, I see the organic label starting to show up. Interesting...

I just searched 'organic farms in sri lanka'; and surprisingly found several including gami seva sevana, Ltd. claiming 32 organic farms.
An officially registered group called Non-governmental Organization (NGO) apparently assures the farms' products are organic.
The project began in 1981.
Very interesting!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
An NGO is a type of organization like corporation or private company. It usually means a charitable organization, although why it's called an NGO is beyond me - it doesn't make sense. But that's neither here nor there - NGO is a common term in this part of the world. I've done a search on organic certifying bodies and thus far have found nothing other than hints, so I don't know, but then, the Internet is still not really used by most companies and organizations here, so it doesn't mean much. I'm sceptical mostly because I know it's easy to bribe your way out of anything here, so laws and certification is not entirely meaningful, if you know what I mean. :)

So, you know, I dunno. :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I was just reading an article, and I'll be damned if I can remember where, but it said that the gov't was thinking of offering a certain type of "interim" classification for those farms working on becoming organic, but just haven't met the time requirement, yet. I don't think it's implemented yet, but keep an eye out. Also, keep an eye out for those farms that you know to be organic who sell conventional products as well. Often times, these conventional produce items are just being grown on land that is soon to be organic certified.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
I was just reading an article, and I'll be damned if I can remember where, but it said that the gov't was thinking of offering a certain type of "interim" classification for those farms working on becoming organic, but just haven't met the time requirement, yet. I don't think it's implemented yet, but keep an eye out. Also, keep an eye out for those farms that you know to be organic who sell conventional products as well. Often times, these conventional produce items are just being grown on land that is soon to be organic certified.

Good...apparently there's more than one way to meet demand, with efforts in that direction in progress.