Part-timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetachyon

Anyone here doing this part-time? Or perhaps started part-time and now doing this full-time?

I'm curious about likely obstacles for part-timers. Is there different approach toward clients/possible clients? Also, what other considerations do part-timers have to make in order to get going in this field?

Most of the books I've read deal with the subject as it pertains to full-timers but little info for part-timers.

Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?

sugarmuffin

Not sure what you mean by "this"--business or marketing writing for companies, freelance mag writing, tech writing...

can you be more specific?

acetachyon

part timers

Sorry for being vague.

The questions was about corporate freelance writing. Ad copy, sales letters, etc.

sugarmuffin

Re: part timers

It really depends on your background, the geographic area you live in, etc. But in almost all cases, it would be best if you had a steady source of income coming in for a while you are trying to build your business, unless you can afford to live on little or no income for a year or two...

I would be happy to talk to you more: send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested.

Lisa

Bizwriter

part Time copywriting

I freelanced for over twenty years in a 'part-time' capacity. I had full time jobs to pay the bills and in my off hours I wrote articles for business mags and did web content writing.

I did some marketing collateral such as brochures and news releases for small and large businesses but I didn't feel I had the time I wanted to devote to that sort of writing. It usually calls for frequent consulations with the client and being tied down with a full time job limited my ability to be available for online or telephone meetings.

Also it is really important if you are doing certain types of marketing materials to have good media relations, that takes time to develop and is ever changing as editors etc move a lot.

Start out with something you know a lot about and look for a market. I will depend on how fast you write and how good you are at writing queries and making contacts so why not start part time?

DiTryin

Re: part Time copywriting

This comes up in another group I'm in all the time. The biggest challenge you'll find is, if you have a full-time job, reaching clients during business hours.

Diane

Find great gifts for every writer on your list!
www.CoolStuff4Writers.com

Status
Not open for further replies.