What would someone wear to paint in?

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I know it's a bit of a minor matter, but it really nags me. In one scene a artist bribes the POV character into painting with him. He wears what he always wears, paint splattered jeans and a black T-shirt with paint on, again.

Anyway, my POV character is a ex-model who now works as a detective. Her wardrobe contains a few designer dresses from the past, lots of suits and blouses, skinny jeans, flares and lots of T-shirts with prints on. Her clothing isn't described in every scene, I think it's only described three times throught the whole book. Anyway, this scene it's important as I need him to take the mickey out of her outfit and they're painting in public, so I need her to be embarrassed by her outfit, as it's something she wouldn't wear in public.

It can't have paint on as she doesn't paint, it can't look perfect as she wouldn't want to ruin it. I'm thinking faded skinny jeans that were once black but are now grey, flats (she wouldn't wear trainers) and some sort of T-shirt. I want something arty, but she wouldn't wear an oversized blouse as that would probably look like she was wearing her ex's shirt. Any help is greatly appreciated as although I'm into fashion I don't have anything in my wardrobe that I would paint in.

PS, I mean painting canvas, not walls

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
T-shirt and jeans sounds fine. If she's really paranoid about not getting paint on her clothes, then add an apron or smock.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
If she's wearing a t-shirt, could it have some sort of logo that would embarrass her? Some band or label that's completely out of favor, or something?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the first time I wemt horseback riding with my husband- then boyfriend- it was only our second date and I was not horse-savy at the time and wore shorts (to show off my legs;)) and what I thought was a reasonably worn t-shirt. He took one look at me and said "Do you have any Jeans with you?" He gave me an old T-shirt of his to wear instead of mine-
LOL! I wore the shorts but got rubbed raw by the saddle- maybe he could give her a shirt of his to wear over her own- Like an old paint-spattered button down oxford-

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking you should throw some denim overalls on her, stylish ones though. She'll think she's wearing the most appropriate, yet still have some style to it. And a name brand Tee underneath, you know, like a RL or something with sequins. Hehe.

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
She wouldn't wear a smock in public, it would make her look fat. Same with overalls.

I like the idea of a T-shirt, I just can't think of anything to put on it. I was thinking of perhaps a T-shirt with brushstrokes print, but that'll be out of fashion by next year, so when my book is finished people wil have alredy forgotton about the trend and wonder what I'm talking about. I like the idea about a band that's out of fashion, but she isn't music savvy, which is an important detail when she takes the mickey out of her friend's music collection. Although, she could have been in a group in university and they could have had T-shirts made, but whether she would hang on to it for seven years and wear it knowing she'd have to explain it, I doubt it. I guess you don't have to be music savvy to know about bands, so I might do a little research online in old bands that had T-shirts, but are now out of fashion.

I suppose he could always lend her something, but then she'd probably just take it off in public. She'd rather ruin a top then look like an idiot in front of strangers.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I've always done is paint barefoot. That way, if you step on dropped paint, you'll know and won't track it through the house. It may not make a difference in public on a sidewalk, but could your character have a sixth toe or be missing the tip of a toe or some other reason why she'd prefer to NOT be barefoot in public?

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
When I did some watercoloring at architecture school, I would frequently do it in my underwear so as not to get it on my clothes (as I am a clumsy man) Of course, this was only when I was in my apartment. When I did it at the school itself, I wore clothes.

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
She has normal feet, unfortunately. However, I do like the idea of her having a body insecurity that get's found out about in the scene.

And I can't imagine them painting in their underwear even in his apartment, as he already has paint on his clothes, so what's a little more? And she wouldn't strip to her underwear in front of him. Although it could make an interesting scene.

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
That would be funny

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
The Spice Girls would be a pretty embarassing t shirt. If she's a former model, they'd probably be right around the right time, late nineties?

Flats seem like a really weird choice for painting. Barefoot, cheap flip flops, like the $5 plastic kind, or else old sneakers would be more expected.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I've known a couple of ex-models who were doing other things pretty successfully. They both tended to be casual and confident in their choice of clothes. Very matter of fact...they control the clothes, not the other way around.

I think she'd show up in clothes she doesn't care about, and wouldn't care what she looked like. Old jeans, old T, no fuss. She'd probably have some already "ruined" clothes just to wear for messy things like this.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking something completely innapropriate. Maybe a pencil skirt and a flouncy top with heaps of frills hanging off it, to drag through the paint. Maybe she could team it with a tres chic beret! :)

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Washed out jeans, a tight-fitting t-shirt (one she already owns) and a well-worn, unbuttoned denim shirt overtop. Sleeves rolled up.

If they're in his appartment, the shirt would be one of his, naturally. She'd wear it just to protect her t-shirt.

I liked the barefoot image too...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Flats seem like a really weird choice for painting. Barefoot, cheap flip flops, like the $5 plastic kind, or else old sneakers would be more expected.

Same thoughts I had about the flats, too. I've been spending my weekends painting a friend's relative's house, and we always paint barefoot because we generally only have nicer shoes (and "nice" is relative on our budgets).

My thoughts: She wears the normal jeans and out-of-style t-shirt, but forgets about wearing crappy shoes (it's an easy thing to forget, really, especially if you haven't painted in awhile) and he makes fun of her for showing up in some nice heels or an expensive pair of flats. Easy fix though, she ends up painting barefoot. Or, on the flipside, she DOES have a pair of shoes she doesn't care if she ruins, but they're terrible stripper-ish stilettos from modeling days or maybe an old pair of 90s Jellies from when she was in middle/high school.

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
T-shirt and jeans sounds great, but . . .

I wonder if she has a pair of pyjamas around that she doesn't like and has never worn. Maybe a gift from an elderly aunt. Who knows, they could have Barbies or Snoopies printed on them.

wyoming_dreams

Registered
Reaction score
What if, because of circumstances beyond her control, she shows up wearing an outfit she would never consider endangering and ends up having to wear something of his to protect her clothes?

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
The Spice Girls would be a pretty embarassing t shirt. If she's a former model, they'd probably be right around the right time, late nineties?

Yeah, the spice girls is around the right time and that would be embarrasing. I can see that working, quite well.

The reason I though of flats is because this was on the spur of the moment, she didn't have time to go out and buy any new shoes. Also, she wears heels every day of the week and I thought it would be a step down. I can't see her wearing sneakers as I can't see her owning any. Same with cheap shoes, I can't see heer owning any.

I've known a couple of ex-models who were doing other things pretty successfully. They both tended to be casual and confident in their choice of clothes. Very matter of fact...they control the clothes, not the other way around.

I think she'd show up in clothes she doesn't care about, and wouldn't care what she looked like. Old jeans, old T, no fuss. She'd probably have some already "ruined" clothes just to wear for messy things like this.

She is pretty casual, but still stylish, she wears skinny jeans virtually every day (when she isn't working, obviously)

I can't see her having 'ruined' clothes, though you just gave me a really funny idea. It wouldn't work, but I just for some reason suddenly though of those boiler suits people wear to the scene of a crime. Never work, but it would be funny.

I was thinking something completely innapropriate. Maybe a pencil skirt and a flouncy top with heaps of frills hanging off it, to drag through the paint. Maybe she could team it with a tres chic beret! :)

I like the beret idea, very french and what she would believe was what an artist would wear.

Washed out jeans, a tight-fitting t-shirt (one she already owns) and a well-worn, unbuttoned denim shirt overtop. Sleeves rolled up.

If they're in his appartment, the shirt would be one of his, naturally. She'd wear it just to protect her t-shirt.

I liked the barefoot image too...

They aren't an item yet, so I doubt she'd borrow he's shirt. They went out on a triple date because she had to take somebody and in return he wanted to teach her how to paint. I don't think they're close enough for him to lend her clothes.

I like the barefoot idea, but outside in the city, is not a good idea. They might for the second day of painting, when they paint in his apartment, but she's take her shoes off in his apartment anyway.

Make it casual then, or perhaps jeans and a flannel shirt. Maybe some tennis shoes or something like that?

I could make it casual, but I want her to be embarrassed by the outfit and have him take the mickey out of her. It's a fundamental part of their relationship.

Same thoughts I had about the flats, too. I've been spending my weekends painting a friend's relative's house, and we always paint barefoot because we generally only have nicer shoes (and "nice" is relative on our budgets).

My thoughts: She wears the normal jeans and out-of-style t-shirt, but forgets about wearing crappy shoes (it's an easy thing to forget, really, especially if you haven't painted in awhile) and he makes fun of her for showing up in some nice heels or an expensive pair of flats. Easy fix though, she ends up painting barefoot. Or, on the flipside, she DOES have a pair of shoes she doesn't care if she ruins, but they're terrible stripper-ish stilettos from modeling days or maybe an old pair of 90s Jellies from when she was in middle/high school.

I think I'll scrap the flat idea.
However, painting barefoot is not a good idea in the middle of London.
I can see her having ugly shoes, perhaps that were given to her as a present by a colour-blind ex, and if they have heels then that would be quite unpratical, yet she could still think it's a good idea.

T-shirt and jeans sounds great, but . . .

I wonder if she has a pair of pyjamas around that she doesn't like and has never worn. Maybe a gift from an elderly aunt. Who knows, they could have Barbies or Snoopies printed on them.

I can't see her going out in public in her pyjamas.

What if, because of circumstances beyond her control, she shows up wearing an outfit she would never consider endangering and ends up having to wear something of his to protect her clothes?

Well, if she had clothes at the cleaners or in the wash, that would narrow down her choice of clothes, but she knows they're painting beforehand, so I can't see her wearing anything that she wouldn't be able to replace.

Thanks guys for all your help, I think we're getting somewhere. Ugly, high heeled shoes, or perhaps boots, but still something ugly and impractical. Old, faded jeans, a Spice girls T-shirt and a beret. Just the outfit for painting in. Thanks guys for all the suggestions, but if you do have any more suggestions, keep on posting.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ultimate in hideous t-shirt fashion for ladies are those shirts with three cats on the front, and three cat butts on the back. they usually have a goofy slogan on them as well, like "Hanging loose in Nantucket." Cat butt t-shirt for sure.

My dad was on navy subs and they wear a one piece coverall called a "poopie suit," humorous name and pretty unflattering. she would have to have gotten it from a guy as there are no ladies who serve on subs.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I can see her having ugly shoes, perhaps that were given to her as a present by a colour-blind ex, and if they have heels then that would be quite unpratical, yet she could still think it's a good idea.

Yep, the heels would give her added height to help paint (esp. if they're painting a mural on wall). If they're nice shoes, she could be forced to wrap her feet/shoes up in plastic tarp bundles if she doesn't want to go barefoot. That would make her look fairly ridiculous.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I know I know I'm being annoying--but if she's an ex-model, is she obsessed with staying fit? And she might have a pair of sneakers or two lying around the house just to exercise in?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
She could wear some hideous orange tee that promotes something she modeled for and never got rid of--the promoted item was taken off the market for being contaminated.