PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Chocorua - White Mountains

ink wench
06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I used to go hiking in the Whites all the time, but I haven't hiked this one in many years and my memory is hazy. Assuming my MC takes the Champney Falls Trail, a few questions:

1. How much snow would you expect to still be on the ground in early May? Would it just be on the more heavily tree-covered parts, or would it be in sunnier areas too?

2. How long would it take an average woman in her early twenties in good to excellent physical condition to climb it? (I have bad knees so my hikes always too longer than a normal person.)

3. I remember there was a really peaceful spot not far in on the trail that was part of an evergreen grove. The ground was covered in pine needles. Anyone have any idea what I'm referring to or how far in on the trail it is?

Thanks so much!

Sargentodiaz
06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
There are tons of site using Google Search that could give you that information!

ink wench
06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Um, thanks. A lot of the information shared in here can be found online. The reason people ask is because we want personal experiences to verify or clarify certain information. I've consulted my guide books to the White Mountains. If I'd found all I was looking for, I wouldn't have asked. :rolleyes:

IceCreamEmpress
06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
In early May, there'd be hardly any snow. The falls would be running at full volume. It takes 3 hours and change from the parking lot to the summit.

As for the clearing you're talking about; are you thinking of something before the falls, or after the falls?

ink wench
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks, ICE. The last time I hiked in early May there was a lot snow, but that was farther north.

I'm pretty sure the clearing is before the falls, but I'm not positive. Was hoping someone would have an idea. Otherwise, I'll just have to make it up and assume it's not something most people will notice. (It's not mentioned in anything I've read, so I might have been the only person to really be impressed with it.)

IceCreamEmpress
06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
I have hiked that particular trail; there are a few clearings before the falls, and only one reasonably large clearing after the falls. The falls are about a mile and three-quarters in from the trailhead at the parking lot.

That far south in NH in early May isn't likely to be snow-laden.

Webster
06-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi,
I have lived in New Hampshire -- Rochester -- and currently live in Maine. I was a frequent hiker in the White Mountains and have hiked a lot of the trails.

Matter of fact, I had a 'hiking accident' where I broke my ankle in two places and had to be carried out by mountain rescue. That was a story to tell!

Anyhow, even in May, there are patches of snow and general ground snow remaining in the White Mountains. It basically depends on how mild or servere the winter was as to how wide spread it is. I have even been up the first 2 weeks of June and there was still snow, some as deep as a foot in places.

This year, as an example - I live in southern Maine and the Lake we fish at still had total ice coverage to the first weekend of June and in placing our lake to a point on the NH map, it would be just a little north of Rochester and south of the White Mountains. So yes, this year there was a lot of 'late' snow on the ground in the White Mountains.

Basically I would put thin ice around the shore/banks in slower water and have patches of snow around boulders etc and out of the winds and under the tree line. And it would be very chilly even when the sun is out. And whatever you do, don't forget the black flies! They were really bad this year!

ink wench
06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Webster! Yeah, it's been a very snowy winter.

Broken ankle - yikes! My husband and I lost the trail on Avalon in early May one year because of the couple feet of snow. Took us half an hour to find it. Hiking accidents = :eek:

Think I'm going to go with just a few scattered patches of snow in rocky shade. And just make up the stupid grove, unless I can convince my husband to go hiking with me soon.