PDA

View Full Version : My Man Is Great Because.........

joyce
06-25-2008, 05:30 AM
:D When I saw that our dear Silver King got his scales up in another thread, I thought I'd start one praising the men in our life. It's easy to moan about what we dislike but just what makes the man in your life great to you.

Mine might be crappy at housekeeping but he's great in so many other ways that really count. He's my best friend, a great provider and father. He also makes me laugh like no other. It's been 19 years and he's still the hottest guy around to me. He ain't no cook but I know he loves me and accepts me for who I am. How about yours?

Cranky
06-25-2008, 05:35 AM
Good golly, where would I start?

Let's see. He's hands-down one of the smartest people I know. He's also very, very funny. He's an excellent father and provider for our family, working 50 hours a week plus going to school full-time to further his education. He works extremely hard.

He's a great dancer (the first time I ever saw him was on a dancefloor, complete with Wranglers and a black Stetson, which he tipped in the most cocky, arrogant way that was also the most charming thing I've ever seen. *swoons*), and he's hot as hell. Got a killer smile, and charisma to spare. Also a deep, sexy voice.

He thinks I'm sexy and witty and gropes me every chance he gets.

What more could a girl ask for, honestly? :D We've been together for nine years, and our ninth wedding anniversary is next month. We got married within four months of meeting each other.

P.S. And for the record, I think our SK is a pretty cool dude, too. *hugs the slippery fish* :D

ETA: I forgot to add that he is by far the better cook. I've learned a lot from him. Just don't ask him to bake. :roll:

sheadakota
06-25-2008, 05:55 AM
My guy asked me to marry him on our third date- well not exactly in those words- here's how it went;
we were hiking and took a break sitting at the top of a 90 foot waterfall- he turned to me and asked

"So when are you moving in with me?"

"Yeah, right"

"No, really I want you to move in with me."

"The only way I would live with a guy is if we were going to get married."

"So... when are you moving in with me?"

We've been married for 13 years this June- together for 15- He bought me a horse for my birthday the first year we met- the best friend I ever had and the best father any kid could want- I'm crazy about the guy.

joyce
06-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Wow, great stories everyone. Thanks for sharing.:)

Susie
06-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Great thread, Joycey. My man is super kool, a great cook and let's me stay on AW as long as I want. :) Yep, great stories, guyz.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-25-2008, 06:38 AM
I said it in the other thread... I'll say it again here:

"Ol' Boy's mama raised him up right. He never leaves dirty clothes in the floor, never leaves the lid up on the toilet, cooks as much as I do, cleans as much as I do, mows the lawn (with which I help him by doing the trimming), fills and empties the dishwasher, cleans out the cat boxes, picks up, puts away, maintains the things that need maintaining, fixes things that need fixing, and never fails to ask me if I need help with anything. As we've aged, he sees the toll arthritis has taken and he's careful to be ever mindful of my limits (something I, myself, fail to do)... and he's taken on more and more - thinking I don't notice - as I've been able to do less and less.

No. All men aren't lazy slobs. I'll testify on their behalf any day."

AmyDoodle
06-25-2008, 06:56 AM
The year before we got married, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Bill Dear spent the weekends that year making the round trip to my house from where he lived (6 hours total) every weekend so that he could take out my trash, cut my grass, do other chores as needed, and provide moral support as Mom's health dwindled. He went to the hospital with me, made sure I ate when I didn't want to, and let me cry.

There have, of course, been times since then when I wanted to throw him in the chipper. But every time, I remember something he's done that makes me change my mind. Our eleventh anniversary is just around the calendar page. I'd like to keep him for eleventy hundred.

Soccer Mom
06-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Soccer Dad is very handy. He can build or fix just about anything. I'm so spoiled that way.

Cassiopeia
06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Well, I have to start off by saying that being in a new relationship when I'd given up hope of finding a good man is rather a blessing.

My sweetheart, (just sent him on a flight earlier today to go back home) has got to be the kindest soul I've ever met. Even when he's upset with me, he's tender and mindful as to how he words his thoughts and feelings. He never cuts me down. He tells me how much I mean to him on a daily basis and well, I'm rather smitten.

I met him through the AW chatroom so we are both writers. He's so attentive and just when I think I can bear anything more he hugs me (when we are together) and gets me to giggle, even if it's just a little. He goes a bazillion little thoughtful things.

It's wonderful to be around him. He has a calming, reassuring effect on me and it's wonderful to have someone who cares about what I love and is really interested in what I have to talk about.

Oh, he snores. Which is fine by me. I'm glad to be bugged by it when we are together. :)

He likes my kids and they like him. He's just a good fit. If you know what I mean. We get each other. That's probably the best thing about us.

escritora
06-25-2008, 07:13 AM
...he is a figment of my imagination. In fantasy, he can do no wrong.

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Uh-oh, I think Cranky and I are married to the same guy, only put mine in Levi's and hard hat (yowza)

Okay - here's what makes Jersey Guy da best...

He puts up with me, and that ain't easy

But seriously -

He is the funniest person I have ever met. That's what attracted me to him in the first place. To this day, no one makes me laugh like he does.

He's tall, dark, and handsome - scares the crap out of most people, but he's really a big ol' teddy bear deep down.

He's an oversized 5 year old. Really. A big kid trapped in a man's body. I like to tell people I have 3 kids, and the oldest one supports me. :D - But, that's what makes him such a great dad as well...

He's handy around the house - he can fix just about anything - except the electrical in the house. Won't touch it and I don't blame him.

He makes the best coffee. ever.

He still chases me as if we'd been dating a month and not together 15 years. He's like a 15 year old boy that way...

He dances at weddings - especially slow dances - and he's actually good. People stop to watch him (and no, they aren't laughing at him)

He takes care of everyone. That's his nature - he's the protector. Of everyone.

Jeeze... this list went on forever. And now I need to go give him a hug. :D

Cranky
06-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Ohmygawd, Jersey, I think we DID marry the same guy, lol. Except mine was trained in electronics, so he DOES mess with the electrical.

:roll:

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 07:37 AM
They're like yin and yang!

Hey - your husband isn't adopted, is he? Half-Spanish, and/or half Native American, perhaps???

Cassiopeia
06-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Well you guys can't have the funniest guy cos mine is the funniest. He can make me laugh until I want to pee my pants. :D

ETA: Oh wait that might be an age thing for me. *blushes*

Cranky
06-25-2008, 07:43 AM
They're like yin and yang!

Hey - your husband isn't adopted, is he? Half-Spanish, and/or half Native American, perhaps???

Okay, cue the feaky music! His FATHER was adopted, and he's about 5/8ths Native American. Chichaua and Blackfoot. :eek:

MelodyO
06-25-2008, 07:44 AM
A baker's dozen reasons why Mr. O is so great:

- Loyal as a dog
- Ambitious
- Takes pleasure in giving me pleasure (if you know what I mean)
- Cynical (just like me)
- Loves our kids
- Can recite obscure hockey trivia from the last 40 years
- Good with people
- Frugal (just like me)
- Not afraid to be silly even though he's a "tough guy"
- Can fix a toilet without flinching
- Will tickle my back without me asking
- Still makes my heart go pitter pat when I see him across a crowded room
- Misses us when he goes away

It'll be our 18th anniversary this fall. He has his faults, but making a list like this is a great way to remember why I'm lucky to have him.

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Tell me he isn't from the Southwest. Like. Texas.

and why is that music getting louder??

Cranky
06-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Tell me he isn't from the Southwest. Like. Texas.

and why is that music getting louder??

Naw, he was born in VA, and grew up in Kentucky. *wipes brow*

Jersey Chick
06-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Okay - the music faded away... but still... hmmm... :D

DamaNegra
06-25-2008, 07:49 AM
He puts up with me. He's the only one that, when I say or do something incredibly stupid and/or weird, instead of looking at me like I'm a freak, he'll actually play along. I'm a very insecure person, but he always finds a way to make me feel like I'm the best thing ever (which is quite a feat, really, my self esteem is really that low). He always pays attention to everything and remembers so many small details that I've already forgotten (like what shirt I was wearing on what day) that I feel flattered knowing he pays that much attention to me. He always finds a way to trick me into smiling when I'm down, but also seems to be the only one who understand when I want to be alone, so he lets me be until I go to him, and he's always there for me, even now that we're half a country apart. He also makes me feel dumb sometimes, but I like that, because I'm a sucker for smart people. Also, he has a way of hugging me like he's afraid I'm going to break and that's really sweet, I feel like royalty when he does that.

Fraulein
06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
He's changed the heater coil, water pump, radiator, and the temperature gauge in his Ford Ranger truck, while patiently trying to figure out why the truck is still overheating.

Gotta love a mechanic! (He's actually an electrician, but he loves to work on his vehicles in his spare time.) I never pay for car maintenance, EVER! :heart:

RLB
06-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Aw, this is an awesome thread.

I married the kindest person I ever met. I didn't set out to do that- I'm not that bright- but that's how it wound up.

He encouraged me to quit my job to finish my WIP and has been happy to support us while I do it.

We laugh. A lot.

He helps a ton with housework- mostly laundry and dishes, not so much cooking. But he always eats everything I make and thanks me for it.

He is super-smart and just got accepted to the Northwestern MBA program (I feel like a proud, proud mama).
He is incredibly generous with everyone.

He comes home with flowers and TJ Max gift certificates just because.

He's an awesome traveling companion.

He always makes me feel sexy.

We'll have been married five years in October.

It's really hard to complain about him. I'm not sure I ever have. Marriage has been the greatest blessing of my life.

Shweta
06-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Because he's the smartest person I know. He's sweet, and he's funny. He's got soft brown eyes that can go from puppy-dog to glinting mischief in an instant. When he doesn't leave me waaay behind, his research is interesting to hear about.

He points me at awesome webcomics. He'll read anything, and he'll read critically. It's a lot of fun to discuss books with him. And he's been getting pretty good with crits. He accidentally wrote a couple of stories and looked so confused about it, it was adorable.

When I'm sick he takes care of me. When I'm whiny he can realize I'm having breathing trouble before I do. When I want attention I can... often... distract him from whatever he's doing :D

He's deeply weird, and comes up with things I never would have thought. And when I'm clever he appreciates it.

Who cares about the dishes? We'll have a dishwasher soon enough!
(sez I, when they're my job, while he does the dusting/vacuuming)

ETA: Oh and, he makes an excellent (and cute) uncle!

Anthony Matias
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm all of your men rolled up into one...SUPER MAN! :D

*kicks self in own butt*

EriRae
06-25-2008, 09:25 AM
I wish I could write how great my hubby is, but the fact is, I'm not with him right now b/c I'm at work and the fact that I work nights and he works days and we never see each other wears on us in the middle of the week, so I can't write anything or I'm going to sob into the phone at my next customer.

He's wonderful, really, the best thing that ever happened to me.

MoonWriter
06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Every time I come home from work, my guy greets me at the front door wearing nothing but a fur coat. And he can make me laugh at the silly things he does. I enjoy going for long walks with him or just watching TV for hours without saying a word. He's great to talk to - never interupts. He can't cook very well, but neither can my wife. But Rufus, my golden retriever, never bitches when I leave the toilet seat up.

escritora
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
MoonWriter, that's totally cheating. :-)

JennaGlatzer
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
:gone:

My pretend man is AWESOME. All I have to do is wrestle him away from Angelina Jolie.

MoonWriter
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
MoonWriter, that's totally cheating. :-)

My man doesn't like when people accuse me of cheating! :)

Jenna - you wrestle him and I'll wrestle Angelina. Yes, I'd do that for you.

SpookyWriter
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM

My pretend man is AWESOME. All I have to do is wrestle him away from Angelina Jolie.Can I have the girl. Please.

L M Ashton
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
My hubby is beyond fantastic. While he doesn't cook or clean, he doesn't complain when the house is a major disaster zone, nor does he complain - ever - about the food I put on his plate. He eats everything, including the disasters or the burnt ones, because he appreciates the effort that goes into things and he also knows that I have off days.

He takes care of the garbage and other smelly/gross problems around the house because he knows that I'm severely squicked out and vomit easily. He's squicked out, too - he's got a major germ OCD - but he does it anyway because it's better than me throwing up.

He earns the living so I don't have to. Which I'm incapable of, anyway, because of my chronic pain and chronically feeling like crap. As far as he's concerned, if I never bring another penny into the family coffers, he don't care. Which is a huge relief to me since I get so severely stressed out over money.

Speaking of which, he takes care of EVERYTHING that causes me stress. He makes my life so incredibly much better than it's ever been in my entire life. He treats me well, far better than anyone else in my life ever has, and I've encountered some pretty incredible people. He tells me to take it easy on my bad days and he even gently yells at me if I'm being too stubborn in trying to do things that I just *can't* that day. He does all the heavy lifting (I can't because of problem joints - and I define heavy lifting as anything over five pounds).

He loves me. Unconditionally, which I never thought possible, but he manages it. He thinks I'm beautiful and he *refuses* - and vehemently - to believe that I'm fat. He sees the good things in me that I barely recognize myself. He brings out the good in me.

And he can always make me laugh, no matter how pissy a mood I'm in. He's a really funny guy and we have a great time together, no matter what we're doing, which is usually boring stuff like reading or watching movies or whatever, but it's what we both want to do, so we don't care. But we have a great time together. :)

Bottom line? He just takes care of me. However I need to be taken care of, he takes care of me. And heaven knows I really lucked out with him. :)

Devil Ledbetter
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM

My pretend man is AWESOME. All I have to do is wrestle him away from Angelina Jolie.
So your pretend man is Lyxdeslic, then?

Oh, wait ... I get it.

ACEnders
06-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Oooooh, nice thread! I love to brag about my hubby!!

-He ALWAYS puts me and my needs and wants ahead of his
-He loves to cuddle
-He loves a good fight
-He's my best friend - we tell each other everything
-He's honest and loyal
-He's the smartest man I've ever met
-He's a hopeless romantic - even if I'm the only one who sees that part of him
-He has these dimples to die for!!!
-Beautiful eyes!
-strong arms and shoulders...mmmm....
-He tells me he loves me at least ten times a day, whenever we talk whether on the phone, texts, or in person
-He tells me I'm beautiful and sexy constantly, making me feel like the only woman in the world.
-He's thoughtful and kind, but he doesn't take shit from other people.
-He's outgoing, always wanting to try new things and meet new people.
-He loves animals and will be a wonderful father one day.
-He surprises me with little "just because" gifts
-He spoils me
-He makes me laugh
-He loves my cooking whether I made hotdogs or chicken cordon blu, and thanks me after every meal. He doesn't do much housework unless I ask, but he thanks me everytime I vacuum or dust or do laundry. He makes sure I always know I'm appreciated.
-He can build things - he built our bookshelves and the cabinet in our powder room...among other things.
-He changes the oil in our cars and makes sure they're taken care of, usually by himself
-He taught me to ride a motorcycle
-He takes care of the bills
-He just takes care of me. He anticipates my needs, knowing sometimes before I do what they are. He takes away the stress in my life, and it's just such a good feeling to know that no matter what happens during the day, we're there for each other.

Really, guys, I could keep going. Nathan is amazing. We've been together for nearly 8 years, married for going on 2, and every single day we somehow get only closer. We're close on every level - emotionally, physically, and spiritually. I still get butterflies, my heart still races, when I'm on my way home from work at the end of the day, knowing he's going to be home. Marrying him has been a blessing, and no matter the hard times we've put each other through in the past, I would live every moment again if it brought us to where we are now.

joyce
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks again everyone for sharing about the great man in your life. I know I sometimes get anal about the messy house but it's better to live with someone who doesn't care if the dishes pile up than one who freaks out. The ladies of AW truly have some great men!

Elodie-Caroline
06-25-2008, 05:42 PM
There are lots of things I could moan about to do with my husband, but he lets me have my own way with every little thing, including having everything in the house pink. He makes me laugh with his weird and wacky sense of humour, even on days when I'm feeling blue. Oh, and he asked me to marry him on our very first date; he's the only man that ever did ask me to marry him too. We've been together for 18 years at the end of this year and married for just over 14 of them now. I'd only ever swap him for Jean Reno, so he knows he has no real competition, I suppose lol :)

Elodie

PattiTheWicked
06-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Soccer Dad is very handy. He can build or fix just about anything. I'm so spoiled that way.

Mr. TheWicked is the same way. If it's broken, he fixes it, and if it needs rebuilt, he does so. I have no idea how his brain works, but I haven't paid a repairman to do anything in the entire 12 years me and the hubby have been together.

He's also a great dad who spends lots of time with his kids, playing with them, coaching soccer teams, and helping out with homework when he can. He reads them stories and tucks them into bed and night. He's even teaching the Elder Heathen (who's actually his stepkid) how to drive.

He cleans up around the house, far more than I do, he make dinner if I don't feel like it, and he takes the dog for walks just for fun.

He goes over to his parents house and cuts the yard because they're getting too old to do it. He fixes their cars for them so they don't have to pay a mechanic. He calls his mom every couple of days just to tell her that he loves her.

He loves me the way I am, and although I know I have my annoying qualities he still manages to put up with me, through thick and thin, and he always lets me know I'm loved.

No complaints here at all, ma'am. Other women should be this lucky.

Elodie-Caroline
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Every time I come home from work, my guy greets me at the front door wearing nothing but a fur coat. And he can make me laugh at the silly things he does. I enjoy going for long walks with him or just watching TV for hours without saying a word. He's great to talk to - never interupts. He can't cook very well, but neither can my wife. But Rufus, my golden retriever, never bitches when I leave the toilet seat up.

sassandgroove
06-26-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm all of your men rolled up into one...SUPER MAN! :D

*kicks self in own butt*Tell us about your woman then. :D

Oy I don't have time right now I am about to leave, but Mr. Groove is Groovey! He loves as I am and takes care of me and is funny and I am so proud of him, I admire and look up to him. He's so smart and has a gazillion books. When I ask him stuff, when he doesn't know the answer offhand, and sometimes even when he does, he goes and gets a book about it. And he is so sweet and funny and kind. HE is very loyal. There is so much more. I love him more and more everyday. I never get tired of being around him. I can't say that about anyone else. And he encourages me and thinks I'm pretty.

MelodyO
06-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Ooh, I almost forgot! Mr O is obsessive about proper apostrophe placement. Nothing is hotter than that. ::fans face::

Silver King
06-26-2008, 03:08 AM
:D When I saw that our dear Silver King got his scales up in another thread, I thought I'd start one praising the men in our life...
If it means inspiring wonderful discussions like this one, I'll act crabby around here more often. :)

I'm surprised no one has yet started a, My Woman is Great Because... thread.

Shweta
06-26-2008, 03:13 AM
It's cus men don't appreciate us. *sniffle*
Actually I lie. I showed this thread to my guy and he asked exactly that :D

wyntermoon
06-26-2008, 03:16 AM
I'm crazy about Mr. Moon. He's clever, incredibly smart and an excellent father. On our first date, he asked me how many kids I wanted. I said "three" and he wheedled five out of me because he's so damn hot.

He taught himself how to build a house by reading books and talking to people, became a principal engineer at AOL by hard work and no college degree and is currently learning to take on the stock market because it piqued his interest a couple of years ago. And he's doing well. Very very well.

He thinks I'm lovely, supports my writing 100% and have I mentioned he's hot? Smokin' hot. Fifteen years together this Halloween and 13 of them married.

joyce
06-26-2008, 03:17 AM
If it means inspiring wonderful discussions like this one, I'll act crabby around here more often. :)

I'm surprised no one has yet started a, My Woman is Great Because... thread.

Though I haven't met you other than here on the boards, you seem like such a terrific guy I hated to see the other thread upset you so. I mean....I didn't want you to start shedding scales and catch some disease. Sounds like you have a great idea and I think it would be great for you to start a thread.:D

Pomegranate
06-26-2008, 03:47 AM
I asked my husband to marry me because he surprised me all the time, he made me laugh, he fought fair (which was a biggie because the rest of my family doesn't), and did I mention he made me laugh?

After 15 years together, he still makes me laugh and all those other things too. He also does half the dishes, all the laundry, and keeps the plants alive. We have our disagreements and there are a few things I'd change, but I'm glad I found him.

Silver King
06-26-2008, 04:01 AM
...Sounds like you have a great idea and I think it would be great for you to start a thread.:D
I'm up for the challenge. But first, I have to think of a catchy title.

How about, My babe is better than your babe any day! Then we can have a competition to see whose woman is really the best.

Naw, that won't work. Some knucklehead is bound to claim his wife can vacuum the house while nursing twins and still manage to change the television channel and fetch him a beer without missing a beat. :D

DL Hegel
06-26-2008, 04:23 AM
My man is the best because he cooks, cleans and says I am prettier without make-up:D

Sarita
06-26-2008, 04:32 AM
You totally could, too. Hottie. :) And on that note, I'm right behind you

joyce
06-26-2008, 04:43 AM
I'm up for the challenge. But first, I have to think of a catchy title.

How about, My babe is better than your babe any day! Then we can have a competition to see whose woman is really the best.

Naw, that won't work. Some knucklehead is bound to claim his wife can vacuum the house while nursing twins and still manage to change the television channel and fetch him a beer without missing a beat. :D

I thought that was a natural thing for us women folk to be able to do.:D

Silver King
06-26-2008, 04:58 AM
I thought that was a natural thing for us women folk to be able to do.:D
I forgot to mention that she also made lunch and threw in a load of laundry when her man wasn't looking, and she still managed to burp both babies while scooting the vacuum cleaner along with her left knee. ;)

I'm still pondering an effective thread title to celebrate women. Something that will lure viewers in, even if they don't respond. Hmmm.

Cranky
06-26-2008, 05:00 AM
I forgot to mention that she also made lunch and threw in a load of laundry when her man wasn't looking, and she still managed to burp both babies while scooting the vacuum cleaner along with her left knee. ;)

I'm still pondering an effective thread title to celebrate women. Something that will lure viewers in, even if they don't respond. Hmmm.

Cleavage. Or something rather less classy. Boobs, perhaps? Hooters? (Naw,then they'll expect us to bring 'em hotwings and beer....)

:D

Carole
06-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Reasons my man is great:

He has definite caveman tendencies

He's strong

He's got the most perfect bone structure of anyone I've ever seen

He's got the most gorgeous smile of any man I've known

He calls me baby

When I'm feeling insecure, he points to his ring finger and says, "just once, and forever"

He turns up the stereo in the truck so that I'll sing louder

He tells me I'm smart

He calls me his beautiful, blonde, blue-eyed girl

He loves my kids

He is respectful and sweet with my parents (and my whole family)

He busts his butt working an inconceivably dangerous job

He is supportive of me in anything I do or want to try

He is a wonderful, loving son to his parents

He makes me laugh more and harder than anyone I've ever known

He makes me think

He is interesting

He is extremely intelligent

He has a Jeep!

We can have a complete conversation in a group and no one around us will have a clue what we're talking about

He has beautiful hands

His socks never stink, even after working outside all day wearing boots

He wrote a lullaby for me on his guitar and plays me to sleep with it at least once every weekend when he is home, and has done so for about 6 years

I could go on... :)

Silver King
06-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Cleavage. Or something rather less classy. Boobs, perhaps? Hooters? (Naw,then they'll expect us to bring 'em hotwings and beer....)

:D
How about this as a title:

My wife sucks. Bet you wish yours would.

I'm thinking that might bring in some extra comments. Maybe?

Cranky
06-26-2008, 05:10 AM
How about this as a title:

My wife sucks. Bet you wish yours did.

I'm thinking that might bring in some extra comments. Maybe?

Oh my GAWD! :roll:

*gasps, holding sides* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m56xawfORqw)

C.bronco
06-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Do you mean my real husband, or my cyber friends?

C.bronco
06-26-2008, 05:24 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Silver King and his assets. sigh

Pat~
06-26-2008, 05:27 AM
I've avoided posting because I figured it would be way too much work to write down all the ways that Mr.~ is wonderful--and to tell you the truth, he's so wonderful that I know I'm going to end up looking like a jerk by comparison :o, but here goes:

When we dated:

-he'd help me grade my 3rd-graders' papers, and draw little smilies with cool messages of encouragement on them

-he'd hand feed me whole strawberries dipped in Cool Whip

-he was tall, dark and handsome without the arrogance ;)

-he was/is extremely creative, professionally and at home

-he was/is very smart, and not just selectively so

-he had/has a great sense of humor

-the first clue to his extremely gentle and patient nature was when I met his mom ;)

During marriage:

-He faithfully exhibited second, third, fourth, fifth, etc., clues to that nature!

-He's committed to my best, and has always offered me the freedom to pursue (or not) several different career choices I've made

-He's grown to be the spiritual head of our home, and I've grown to trust and consistently be blessed by his leadership and wisdom

-He doesn't have a lazy bone in his body. The hammock I bought him for Father's Day 10 years ago has been occupied maybe 3 times? :o His creative energy keeps him going like the Eveready Bunny, and life is always interesting :D

-He is steadfastly faithful and wholeheartedly committed to his wedding vows and to our kids

-He acts like he thinks I'm beautiful, even when I'm in workout clothes, having a bad hair day, or feeling too lazy to put on makeup

-He is an INCREDIBLE cook. He comes home from work, and most days, cooks dinner. (This is the part that makes me the jerk, yes.) He actually enjoys it as a home-hobby, and has got grilled salmon (or anything else) down to an art form

-He regularly helps out with the laundry and dishes, even though I am a stay-at-home mom; this is not at my request--he just does it :o

-He is wonderfully fun to be creative with--between us we've remodeled 1 condo, 2 houses, and designed and built a third, and also created 2 beautiful children (well, okay, that wasn't entirely our doing :D), and all without arguing (we save that for the important stuff, like who left hair in the sink)

-he's tall, silver-haired, and handsome (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/pb10220/20071209011.jpg), still ;)

:LilLove:

DarkDesireX
06-26-2008, 05:30 AM
My man is great because...he sees me in my most vulnerable states (not to mention my just-woke-up-funky-breath-funky-hair states) and he hasn't run for the hills.

joyce
06-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks again everyone for sharing these fantastic stories! All the posts have made me think about my husband and all the things I love about him. When I met him I'd been single and dateless (by choice) for three years and I came with a four year old daughter. Months after we started dating, my mother and father took all my time because they were dying. He was so fantastic! He took care of my daughter and myself, never bitching once. He treated my mother and father so great. I don't know how I'd made it through that year without his never ending strength. I guess I knew at that moment he was the guy for me. His southern charm and hot looks didn't hurt his chances either.:D

mario_c
06-26-2008, 07:45 AM
:popcorn:

misslissy
06-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Okay, so I don't have a husband yet, but I do have a man, a boyfriend of 2 + years and he's great. Most of the reasons are in the small things he does, but overall he's just the greatest guy I've ever met.

One - he's my best friend first, then my boyfriend.
Two - he's really supportive of all my dreams. When I was first looking at schools, I knew that it might send us far apart- not once did he ever try to pressure me into staying close for him. He wanted me to make sure that I was in a school that was good for my education and for me.
Three - He takes care of me when I'm sick. Earlier this year I was so sick I was shaking I had the chills so bad. Not only did he let me wear his sweatshirt, but on the ride back home, I was sleeping on him. When I sleep I curl up, with my legs tight under me. Well, he made sure to wrap his arms around me in such a way that they kept my legs on the seat the whole time and I'm sure it had to be uncomfortable for him.
Four - He takes care of me when I'm injured (I swear I'm not injury/sick prone - I swear . . . it just happens sometimes). like the time I thought I broke my toe he carried me around all night, including up a flight of stairs.
Five - He remembers little details from when we hardly knew each other.
Six - When I'm down, he reminds me first how much God cares for me and then how much he cares from me. I know some of you are not religious, but I am and this means a lot to me. That and he believes the same stuff I do. That's so important to me.
Seven - He knows how to cook eggs. Ya'll have no idea but I love eggs.
Eight - He does little thoughtful things for me, like randomly bringing me a rose or bringing me hot chocolate at school (my coffee substitute) when he knows I've been up late working on a paper.
Nine - He calls me. He goes out of his way to call me. At this time I know maybe one or two other guys who do this.
Ten - He writes for me. This is big to me, because I know it's something he goes out of his way to do. Like one time he wrote me a poem.
Eleven - He loves music. Just like me. And he's a great singer. That never hurt anything.
Twelve - His family is great and you can really see he cares about them and they care about me. And he's great with little kids.

There's lots more reasons, but twelve seems like a nice even number. And I'm content now, just thinking about him.

Eskimo1990
06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Okay he's not my man yet...but we're getting close :) Oh and our relationship is mostly computer based for now lol

-He is always able to make me laugh.
-He always knows when something is wrong with me and is quick to apologize sometimes when he hasn't even done anything wrong.
-He can make me smile even when I don't feel like smiling.
-He calls me babe and baby all the time :)
-He cares about me a lot
-He's one of the sweetest guys I know.
-He's really cute :)
-He thinks I'm beautiful and reminds me that I'm beautiful often
-He sends me hugs all the time. :)

I could go on and on but I won't cause it's time for me to go to bed and dream about him :)

Captshady
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Hrm, in reading these replies I have mixed emotions. I firmly believe I did MOST of what y'all have stated what you like in your men, yet wasn't able to get any affection from my STBE, or any appreciation.

So if your man did all of what you've stated, and wasn't all that good looking, would you be as appreciative? Maybe I've keyed in on the "problem."

L M Ashton
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Personally, I don't give a squat about looks. I really don't. My husband is not at all my "physical type" and based on looks alone, I didn't find him all that attractive. What I find attractive, though, is his personality, his intelligence, his humour, the way he treats me. Prior to the hubby, I had dated other physically unattractive men, also because of their character and the way they treated me. Honestly, not all women (or men) are shallow. My husband don't care about physical looks, either - I'm fat and my body is falling apart, and he don't care a squat. So, yeah, I would still be as appreciative. I am still as appreciative. Even if he were deformed and physically disabled and had no teeth left and was completely bald, I still wouldn't care about his looks.

If your STBE has a problem with physical appearance, then that's her/his/its problem. But not everyone cares about that. Honestly.

ETA: The longer I know him and the better I know him, the better looking he gets. Not because he's actually getting better looking, but because my attitude towards him is changing. I've experienced this before in both directions. I've known people who were physically attractive but were real, ah, jerks, and the longer I knew them, the more it seemed their jerkiness came through their skin. *shrugs* YMMV.

joyce
06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Hrm, in reading these replies I have mixed emotions. I firmly believe I did MOST of what y'all have stated what you like in your men, yet wasn't able to get any affection from my STBE, or any appreciation.

So if your man did all of what you've stated, and wasn't all that good looking, would you be as appreciative? Maybe I've keyed in on the "problem."

What's good looking to one person might be hideous to another. Unfortunately for all of us there is that little problem of age. It seems to take with it those good looks of your 20's. I was attracted to my husband before I knew him but it was his great caring ways that really attracted me to him. Personally for me, I'd rather be with someone who isn't your next Playgirl model but is good to me and I get along with them. Looks aren't everything and some women are just skanks! They'll never appreciate what they've got even if they're with the most handsome man on the planet. Sounds to me you might have had a skank.

Mr Flibble
06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
My man is great, because he puts up with my loonyness. Believe me, that enough to make him supergreat!

Besides he's all big and strong and yummy, he looks after me ( especially for those three years I was really ill), he's as supportive as a girder reinforced bra, he encourages me to do the things I dream of, he makes me laugh, he's a mean cook, he's a good dad who loves to spend as much time as he can with his kids and he even does housework if I remind him.

There is a downside. I have to bribe him with beer to mow the lawn.

Elodie-Caroline
06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I have to bribe mine with chips, but I'm not saying what for :D

There is a downside. I have to bribe him with beer to mow the lawn.

Eskimo1990
06-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Looks have nothing to do with it actually for me. I'd rather have someone who was not good looking but had a great personality and was great to me.

My almost guy is cute to me but some people don't think so :Shrug: I guess it's all how you look at it.

Sarita
06-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Don't you find that, if you know the person, and they have an attractive personality, you are automatically more drawn to them, physically? I've always been in the "friends to lovers" camp, I can't just date a cute guy. I did that once and he turned out to be a total tool-bag, Norwegian God, but a tool-bag.

Mr Flibble
06-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Don't you find that, if you know the person, and they have an attractive personality, you are automatically more drawn to them, physically? I've always been in the "friends to lovers" camp, I can't just date a cute guy. I did that once and he turned out to be a total tool-bag, Norwegian God, but a tool-bag.

Have you noticed when you fall for a friend, somehow their face looks different? They suddenly look much more attractive?

So if your man did all of what you've stated, and wasn't all that good looking, would you be as appreciative? Yes.

Captshady
06-26-2008, 06:17 PM

ROFL! I'm in that camp as well. I've met girls who were very attractive that I found ugly once I got to know them, and girls that didn't stand out as "WOW, you're hot" at first, that became that way, to me, as time went on. But I can't say that I've ALWAYS been that way. I was a shallow ass until about 22.

MelodyO
06-26-2008, 06:26 PM

Depends on the woman...and the man. I have to say that although I don't think looks always matter, a strong attraction is important in a sexual relationship. Of course, that's moot if the sexual aspect of the relationship is dormant or whatever. Having said that, some people are just jerks. If you were nice to her and she wasn't nice back, maybe that says more about her than you.

I'm also with the group that says a guy can getter better and better looking if he's funny and charming. I once asked Mr O if he thought that was true for men as well with unattractive women. His reply: "Nah, if they're ugly, they're ugly forever." Heeeee. :tongue

Captshady
06-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Depends on the woman...and the man. I have to say that although I don't think looks always matter, a strong attraction is important in a sexual relationship. Of course, that's moot if the sexual aspect of the relationship is dormant or whatever. Having said that, some people are just jerks. If you were nice to her and she wasn't nice back, maybe that says more about her than you.

I'm also with the group that says a guy can getter better and better looking if he's funny and charming. I once asked Mr O if he thought that was true for men as well with unattractive women. His reply: "Nah, if they're ugly, they're ugly forever." Heeeee. :tongue

LOL, the sexual aspect was dormant ... FOR HER! ;)

"Funny" is a seriously relative term, but it's "funny" that you brought it up! I was a traveling, working stand up comic when we met (most people think that implies loads of money and not having to have a day job ... it doesn't). I was "funny" when we met, and in the last couple years of the relationship the same jokes were "perverted", "immature", and "egotistical" LOL!

Cranky
06-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, I certainly think my husband is attractive, but it was his attitude that drew me right away (the hat tipping). His looks didn't hurt, of course, but he was fun and confident, and a lot of fun to be around.

Looks were secondary. Still important, I guess, in that I still find him very attractive, but it's not the be-all, end all. Like Sara, I've dated HAWT men...and they were not a good match, let's say. :D

Kitrianna
06-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Do I have all day? Actually yes I do.

Kthrok is the best because:

He's my best friend and I can talk to him about EVERYTHING.

He really listens (even when he doesn't understand what I'm saying).

He understands how my rather weird mind works.

He's great at giving backrubs.

He lets me watch whatever I want, except on Monday nights...that's his story time (WWE Raw).

He loves my cooking and tells everyone how great it is.

He lets me cook what I want for dinner, regardless of what he is in the mood for.

He doesn't complain if I don't pick up the house.

He makes sure that I'm taking care of myself (typical of me to neglect my needs).

He spoils me rotten every chance he gets.

He puts up with me when I'm crabby and doesn't complain about it.

He encourages me to do things that I love to do.

He loves me.

`Nough said.

misslissy
06-26-2008, 10:05 PM
It's never been about looks for me. I mean sometimes super hot looking guys are nice . . .ish, but most of the time because they're super hot looking guys they expect girls just to fall at their feet and they tend to be arrogant in my experience. The guys who are maybe a little pudgier or a little more acne than maybe your super hot guy can be some of the sweetest guys on earth.

And just to point out - that I am not all that great looking either and he still thinks I'm beautiful.

Kitrianna
06-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Dammit I forgot that one...

He has said (to his step brother at the very least, I was there for that one) that I was the most beautiful woman he had ever met (he does admit that Angelina Jolie is probably more so, but he's never met her).

Mr Flibble
06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Mine tells me I've got a better bum than Kylie. I say he must need glasses :)

Eskimo1990
06-27-2008, 02:22 AM
It's never been about looks for me. I mean sometimes super hot looking guys are nice . . .ish, but most of the time because they're super hot looking guys they expect girls just to fall at their feet and they tend to be arrogant in my experience. The guys who are maybe a little pudgier or a little more acne than maybe your super hot guy can be some of the sweetest guys on earth.

And just to point out - that I am not all that great looking either and he still thinks I'm beautiful.

I agree with you.
Yeah a hot guy is fun to look at...but more often then not they're going to be a jerk.

My almost boyfriend is a little on the heavier side, but it works for him. I wouldn't trade him for any hot guy in the world because he's such a sweetheart to me :)

misslissy
06-27-2008, 02:35 AM
My boyfriend thinks he's on the heavier side, but I disagree. I go - you're an entire foot taller than me (6 foot 3 inches) and you're going to weigh heavier naturally because you're so tall.

Good guys with personalities are always sexier than super hot arrogant jerks.

JoNightshade
06-27-2008, 02:48 AM
I have to preface why my guy is awesome with this true story. When I was in college, I actually had an "advertisement" for my perfect man on my website. It had a whole list of qualities I was looking for.

Mr. Nightshade has not A SINGLE ONE of those attributes. And yet he's the only guy I ever dated, the only guy I ever married, the only guy I will ever want. :)

Mr. Nightshade is about 5 inches shorter than me and overweight, which to me means he is wonderfully squishy and huggy and a big teddy bear. He has an adorable dimple on his chin and one on his left cheek that shows when he smiles. I might mention that this was NOT at all what I thought I was attracted to. Geez, I don't know myself at all, do I?

Anyway, reasons he is awesome.

He bakes. He crochets. He loves to snuggle. He is a computer genius, which means I get free technical help 24/7. He loves to read. We read many similar things and many different things, but we both love excellent literature so we often trade just because we know we'll always get a good book. :) He is the only man I have ever met who I will admit is as smart as me, though in a completely different way. We love to discuss everything, philosophy, reading, theory, whatever. He likes to hike. He thinks I'm beautiful. He tells me he's proud of me. He constantly tries to convince me that I don't need to wear clothes in the house. He LET ME QUIT MY JOB to write full-time. He doesn't even care if I make any money. He considers it his responsibility to support us and manage our finances. He urges me to buy things for myself (I'm a frugal saver). He loves animals. He's adorable. When he gets excited he'll run around and jump up and down like a little boy. He is a video game junkie, but the games he loves are things like Mario and Lego Star Wars. When I'm bad or wrong, he's not afraid to call me on it, but he's always willing to forgive. When we fight, he's usually the first one to say "I'm sorry." He's not paranoid about his "manliness," which means he lets me work on the car and build stuff and fix stuff because, frankly, I do it better. He wears glasses because he ruined his eyes reading too much. He freaks out if I am gone for more than one night.

I'm going to stop there or else I'm just going to keep going. :)

The one thing that really, really astounds me is that we agree 99% on theological points, and most of our disagreements end up in a fantastic discussion that brings us to an agreement after all. This is surprising because we both have a distinctly non-traditional view of Christianity, although we are committed Christians. Let's just say that we're viewed by other Christians as being "on the edge" or sometimes "bad." It just amazes me that we managed to find each other, because I never imagined anyone would share my view on certain things. Must be God!

melodychef
06-27-2008, 02:52 AM
My man supports my freelancing habit, does techie things on my website, and tells me silly jokes. Plus, he's super cute.

Pat~
06-28-2008, 02:32 AM

Capt, when you love your man, he IS good-looking. He's the person you hope to look at for a lifetime. Sometimes there are just some bad apples out there (of the other sex).

JoNightshade
06-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Agreed. "Looks" in the sense of objective hotness, like you'd judge a movie star, have absolutely nothing to do with real love.

Silver King
06-28-2008, 05:18 AM
I was talking to my wife last night as we lay in bed, with this thread as inspiration, and gave her a test that did not turn out the way I expected.

I didn't come right out and ask her why she loves me, but I hinted around enough for her to realize where I was coming from.

She said, "Geez, Honey. You have to ask me that now? What's gotten into you lately, anyway?"

I feigned ignorance and pressed her further.

She said, "You love me, right?"

I did not answer.

"You know you do, so stop acting like an idiot," she said.

We laid there for a while, silent. It was windy outside, and a wayward tree branch scraped the awning. Back and forth it went, loud and grating.

She said, "You need to trim that tree. It's driving me crazy."

I reached for her, and she moved closer to me. The branch kept scratching along the house throughout the night, incessant.

nerds
06-28-2008, 05:36 AM
My men are great because they're not my men. They're my friends, my best friends. Men raised me, they're all lost to me now, my life is a long tale of lost men. The man I was married to for many years remains my best supporter in life, and soon he'll be gone as well.

I love men, I value men; I value their company, their talk, their not talking, because I like to not talk too. I'm an irregular woman in a lifetime of regular men, and I love them all.

SherryTex
06-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Great idea for a thread. My husband is my beloved. He frequently challenges me to be better than I would otherwise content myself to be. He also writes gorgeous letters and brings me chocolates when things have been rough. He willingly takes on this great horde we've created and is the most gentle soul I know. He also has a wickedly sly sense of humor that when it shows up, feels like a punch across the jaw...you always think he's the straight man and then...bam. He edits my work for me and corrects my spelling. He thinks I'm smart and cute. (Lovestruck fool!). His is a beautiful soul and I'm so grateful, it's hard to stop...as someone else in this thread observed. Will stop now before I start sounding more sappy than a maple tree.

JoNightshade
06-28-2008, 06:24 AM
She said, "Geez, Honey. You have to ask me that now? What's gotten into you lately, anyway?"

I feigned ignorance and pressed her further.

She said, "You love me, right?"

I did not answer.

"You know you do, so stop acting like an idiot," she said.

SK, she gave you the best answer there is. 1 John 4:19 - "We love because he first loved us." :D

(I'm being serious - what better reason is there to love someone than the fact that they love you?)

Kitrianna
06-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Capt, there is one problem with your logic as far as Kthrok and I are concerned and I can sum it up quite easily. Go look at the pics of us on my webpage.

Kthrok has a unibrow, a pigeon chest and a 12 pack instead of a 6 pack for abs (at least it hasn't turned into a two four!). I thought he was absolutely THE most gorgeous guy I had ever seen the first time I laid eyes on him (it took me 6 months before I finally learned his name) and his personality blew me away. I have never met a kinder, sweeter, or more caring man that did not have an agenda (i.e. getting me into bed) or was gay. Hell he resisted all the temptaion that I threw at him like he was a saint! His pigeon chest happens to be one of the things I love most (it makes us fit together like two pieces of a puzzle) and I have forbidden him to have corrective surgery for it (the survival rate isn't anywhere near good enough to warrant it for cosmetic reasons). Nope, looks don't have a damn thing to do with why I married him, but his ability to threaten a computer into submission...now that's a reason to be with someone :tongue.

ivorywhisper
07-25-2008, 06:07 AM
He believes in me :)

When I'm hard on myself about my writing, he cheers me and keeps me grounded!! He has recently told me he would support me if I shed my alter ego ( day job) and went to writing full time. (Bear in mind, I haven't been published or even completed my first novel yet!)

I dont think it's fair to him though so until I at least have one publication under my belt, I won't take him up on the offer but it's great to know that I have the support!

joyce
07-25-2008, 06:20 AM
He believes in me :)

When I'm hard on myself about my writing, he cheers me and keeps me grounded!! He has recently told me he would support me if I shed my alter ego ( day job) and went to writing full time. (Bear in mind, I haven't been published or even completed my first novel yet!)

I dont think it's fair to him though so until I at least have one publication under my belt, I won't take him up on the offer but it's great to know that I have the support!

It's a great feeling to be with someone who believes in you that much. I sometimes think my hubby believes more in my writing than I do myself. That cracks me up because he's probably read two books in the 19 years we've been together. Hubby has told me the same thing to just stop working and stay home and write. We can't afford that and I'd never be that selfish. Like you, perhaps when I get that first book published I'll rethink things. Good luck with your writing.:)

Susie
07-25-2008, 06:50 AM
My man is special because when my back went out at 40, due to degenerative disk disease, he helped me totally and never complained and he cooks the best dinners when he's feeling ok. For many years he's not well either, so it's even harder, but our love prevails. And, he's the one who's encouraged me with my writing, never letting me give into my self-doubt.

Lyra Jean
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet.

Some reasons I love my man:

~ We both have a "What if the world ended and society collapsed and we have to survive in the aftermath" plan.
Me: "Can I tell you something if you don't think it's weird?"
Him: "Sure"
Me: "I have an end of the world plan."
Him: "You have one too!"
We then compared plans.

~We can tell each other everything. Really like the stuff that other people say oh TMI we can tell each other that.

~We're the same kind of weird. The end of the world plan is just a part of the weirdness. My friend says: "I don't know if I should be happy for you because you found someone just like you or I should be scared because there is someone out there that is just like you."

~I get overwhelmed pretty easy. He reminds me to take one day at a time and to not stress out. He doesn't just blow it off and tell me to get over it.

~He's waiting a year and a half for me to finish school (B.A. History) before we get married. We live 250 miles apart on opposite coasts.

~He thinks I'm sexy and beautiful and boosts my confidence by believing in me when I don't believe in myself.

Melenka
07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
He asked me to marry him on our first date. It did follow six months of intensive letter writing, as he was in the military and it was the only way we could communicate at first. Once he got a phone, my bill went through the roof. Did I mention the first date lasted three days? Still married - 16 years in August. That was a really good first date.

He's the only one who ever made me want to have kids. I knew it would be fun to raise children with him, and I wasn't wrong.

Dude can cook. Seriously. I was thin when we got married. 'Nuff said.

He is incredibly patient and calm. He says it comes from being a slacker. ;)

He gives great massages with the lovely side effect of realigning my spine. And that's only one side effect.

He wields a mean sword. And axe. And all sorts of other weapons. He won't have the ones that go bang around, though he's very good with those, too.

He looks amazing in a kilt, which is what he was wearing when we met.

He never, ever attributes my being upset or cranky to hormonal cycles. Now, that may just mean he wants to live to a ripe old age, but I appreciate his not marginalizing the way I feel, whether or not I'm hormonal.

He's sending me to take handgun lessons so I can write shooting scenes accurately. I won't have a gun in the house either (long story) but it sure would be nice to know how to use one. You know, for when the zombies come.

He does not complain about my writing taking up all my free time. He says it's time for the boys to step up and take care of household chores anyway. He patiently walks me through hand to hand combat moves, even coming back with more suggestions days later. And at dinner last night he told me that he is terribly proud of me for working so hard on my novel. Yeah, he's a keeper.

tjwriter
07-25-2008, 02:48 PM
For the last three weeks my husband has taken care of it all while I've been out with this hip joint issue. The burden has fallen on him and he's totally been the cool dude about it. The house isn't sparkling or anything, but he's kept us floating while I sit on the couch unable to help him at all.

I keep trying to think of a suitable thank you gift for him. I know that really it's just part of being in this household, but I truly appreciate his efforts. He done so much and sacrificed a lot of his luxury habits like sleeping in so that he could take care of things before he went to work each day.

Plus he's kept me calm and ground while I've been stressed and exhausted from the pain. He grounds me when I start to spiral in any direction.

Elaine Margarett
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
My man is special because he inspires me (daily) to be a better person.

He is the epitomy of integrety. He is patient, and truthful and compassionate (not to mention, just as gorgeous on the outside as he is on the inside).

I admit, I was a bit of a *wild child* when we met. Never before had I felt the need to censor what I did (or who I did). The minute I met my husband my world changed. The day we were married I made a vow to myself that I would spend the rest of my life being the best partner I could possibly be.

But to be honest, he makes it incredibly easy for me to hold up my end of the bargain. No matter what I've wanted to do, dog breeder/trainer, endurance rider, Search and Rescue handler (I was president of our unit) and writer, he's supported me 100%.

I've had many men friends (because of my interests and activities), gone on overnight trainings with them which meant my hubby had to step up and take care of, not just two small children but a kennel full of dogs and a couple of horses thrown in, with never a complaint!

And he think's *he's* the lucky one!!

Elaine,
the lucky

Perle_Rare
07-25-2008, 05:41 PM
My man is the only guy I've ever been able to spend more than a few hours with without suffering from overexposure. All the other guys I met (and I studied Engineering in University so I was always surrounded by guys), I could only put up with in very small doses. We've been married for 14 years now and I still haven't overdosed! :)

He makes me laugh till I cry though very few other people understand his sense of humour. He does at least as much work around the house as I do. He claims he does it so I don't throw him out (which isn't ever likely to happen). He's smarter than me and I'm a pretty smart cookie. If I get stuck on something for my work (I'm a programmer), he's willing to help me out and always solves it in no time flat (which sometimes makes me wonder if I'm as smart as I think I am... :D and somehow, he never makes me feel stupid). He works incredibly hard at his work and aims to be more productive than anyone else there so he doesn't have to work overtime. He also refuses to travel for work. That means he's always home for supper.

He's a wonderful dad. He makes sure that whatever activities we do are done as a family. He's even started going in to work earlier in the morning so he can take Friday afternoons off and spend more time with the kids and I.

I think he's incredibly handsome (6' tall, blond-haired, blue-eyed, trim and muscular) and he thinks I'm gorgeous (I have no clue where he got that delusion. The mirror sure doesn't tell me the same story.. :o ).

He's great with money and is saving so he can retire at 55. In the meantime, he doesn't mind if I choose to work or if I quit (I've quit work once already but I then started doing some part-time coding from home). He already can't wait for the kids to be off to university (or whatever) and he can have me all to himself.

Best of all, he doesn't think I'm crazy when I say I want to write!

Neurotic
07-25-2008, 06:00 PM
What a lovely idea.

Seven months after we first got together, I first got ill. When it proved to be a chronic condition, instead of running he hung around. He supports me when I'm going through rough patches and encourages me when I'm feeling good. He's a useless housekeeper and an even worse cook but sometimes even the clumsiest of efforts counts, you know?

Kitrianna
07-25-2008, 06:33 PM
What a lovely idea.

Seven months after we first got together, I first got ill. When it proved to be a chronic condition, instead of running he hung around. He supports me when I'm going through rough patches and encourages me when I'm feeling good. He's a useless housekeeper and an even worse cook but sometimes even the clumsiest of efforts counts, you know?

Yes, yes I do. The only thing Kthrok is really comfortable cooking is Hamburger Helper and while I hate the stuff, I eat it because he cared enough about how I was feeling to cook.

joyce
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I just love reading all these stories about our men. I thank everyone once again for sharing them. A bunch of us sure have some terrific, sexy, and one of a kind type men folk by our sides. :)

Elaine Margarett
07-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I just love reading all these stories about our men. I thank everyone once again for sharing them. A bunch of us sure have some terrific, sexy, and one of a kind type men folk by our sides. :)

What I take heart from is that our wonderful men aren't one of a kind, in that wonderful, supportive guys who love their wives and families are out there!

When our oldest (my stepdaughter) was in a bad relationship and we asked why, she said she didn't expect to find the kind of truly loving relationship her father and I have! :-( Thank goodness she came to her senses and is now married to a man whom she's crazy about, and who is just terrific and loves his family very much.

Ahhh...one down, two more children to (happily) marry off.

JeanneTGC
07-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Cool thread.

We'd been dating a few months when I fell at work and hurt my back, forever, as it turns out. I was bedridden for 5 weeks and barely ambulatory for 3 more. My boyfriend's family moved me into their house and he and they took care of me. When he got his first paycheck after I'd been hurt, he cashed it and handed it to me, saying that he didn't need the money but I did. Needless to say, we've had a joint checking account since before we were engaged.

We dated for a year and were engaged for a year, and then got married. Bets were on it not lasting a year -- because of me, the proverbial "wild girl". And, really, if my husband hadn't been able and willing to put up with my reactions to the first year of marriage, we probably wouldn't be married.

My husband is a wonderful husband and father, patient and loving. He's smart, funny, and always supportive. He's my best friend and the person I can always talk to (well, other than when we have a fight, as all couples do). He also looks like Tom Cruise, so the visuals are great. :D

When I started writing, he was happy I had a hobby I enjoyed so much. When I burned out computer after computer (running them 24/7 mostly because of writing), he just went with me to fix them and get new ones. When he realized I was serious about pursuing publication he encouraged me and supported things like online classes, going to conferences, and buying a huge assortment of research books. He's always said that he knew I would succeed. And he's put up with hearing about each and every WIP of any length or genre for YEARS now.

My first advance should arrive next week, just before our 21st anniversary (August 1st). And I'd buy him something nice with it, but he won't let me. He likes our money spent on me and our daughter, not on him. But I do know how to sneak the stuff he likes into the house. ;)

truelyana
07-27-2008, 04:47 PM
he knows he is not a man. :)