PDA

View Full Version : Querying a second agent at the same agency

Blondchen
06-25-2008, 05:10 AM
So, the question is, if you queried Agent A at an agency and received no response after, let's just say, oh 74 days and then you read on the agency blog that Agent B is looking for exactly what you're shopping, is it bad form to query Agent B, assuming that your first query to Agent A is either a tacit no or lost in a spam filter?

Would love to hear some takes on this. Thanks!

Susan Breen
06-25-2008, 06:58 AM
I would think it would be okay. It's possible they are all sitting in a meeting and discussing you, but it's unlikely. Why not go for it?

ChaosTitan
06-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Does the Submission Guidelines for the agency say anything? Many will state whether or not it's okay to submit to multiple agents within the same agency.

Maui Author
06-25-2008, 07:11 AM
I would say go for it. Since its been 74 days, I would assume you got caught in the spam.

Blondchen
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Does the Submission Guidelines for the agency say anything? Many will state whether or not it's okay to submit to multiple agents within the same agency.

I think the concept of submitting to multiple agents at the same agency implies doing it simultaneously. After this amount of time, I'm assuming its just a lost email query. Does that sound reasonable?

ChaosTitan
06-26-2008, 02:53 AM
I think the concept of submitting to multiple agents at the same agency implies doing it simultaneously.

Could be, but not necessarily. I've heard on some agent blogs that if Agent Z in Awesome Agency thinks her co-worker Agent W will like a query she receives, she'll pass it along to Agent W. Which is one of the reasons they ask you to not do simultaneous queries to one agency.

Of course, you could be right, too.

After this amount of time, I'm assuming its just a lost email query. Does that sound reasonable?

It sounds reasonable, but it's your call. It's impossible to know if it got lost in the ether, if the agent didn't like it and is the kind who just doesn't reply to e-queries unless interested, or if she passed it around to all her fellow agents and none of them wanted to see more.

Best of luck, though. :o

steveg144
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Depends on the agency. Check out entries in agentquery; many will say "only query one of us, we all look at all queries" or something like that. Sometimes their web site will say something similar. Absent that, I'd say you have a green-light to query the other agent.

scope
06-27-2008, 04:05 AM
74 days is a long time, but believe it or not, it's not crazy long. While a long shot, you may still hear from the agent.

As for querying another agent at the same agency, no matter how you look at it, it's a roll of the dice. Good idea? Bad idea? No one really knows for sure. My only suggestion at this time would be for you not to query the second agent, but instead query agents at other agencies. Hopefully you'll land a agent in a couple of months, but if you don't, enough time will have passed where no one could disagree with your querying the other agent at the agency in question.

Good luck.

JoNightshade
06-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Here's the question you should ask yourself: what have you got to lose? Given that, is the risk worth it?

Just FYI, I queried an agent at an agency that, I believe, says they'll "share" your query if they think another agent in-house will like it. She rejected me. I then queried her coworker, who asked for the first 50 pages this morning. Hm. :)

Blondchen
06-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Here's the question you should ask yourself: what have you got to lose? Given that, is the risk worth it?

Just FYI, I queried an agent at an agency that, I believe, says they'll "share" your query if they think another agent in-house will like it. She rejected me. I then queried her coworker, who asked for the first 50 pages this morning. Hm. :)

BWAH. Thanks, Jo!