Do you like to know the genre of the story you're reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I admit this is more of a reader's question than a writer's, but I just saw "Dinner Guest", looked over to the right of my screen and saw that it's in the Horror subforum of SYW (a grand total of 99 words, go ahead...), and, well, it made me think of something.

In our Sunday Night Flash Fiction Challenges, all one knows about another's story is the prompt that the author made the story around. Last Sunday was "The Lie." There were violent deaths, explict or implied, in every story from last Sunday (and we didn't have a 'death pact' either!), but that's not always true for our Sunday Night stories in general. The genre, as well as the story itself, is a surprise when you start reading it. There's been fantasy, SF, and sweet syruppy sentimental stories as well, and I've enjoyed reading them without knowing anything about it at the start, other than some limited fact such as "someone's gonna tell a lie." The prompt doesn't neccesarily even give a single hint to the story's content, such as my "Summer" and several others who did different takes on a prompt that could mean many things.

I went to Dinner Guest when I saw it was in Horror, but I think I would have preferred not to know anything about it but the title before reading it. I know the board doesn't allow for hiding the section of SYW a story is in, and I'm not (neccesarily) asking for that to be changed. I'm just wondering how others feel about knowing a story's genre (or any other possible hint about its content, such as the author's name) before reading it.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind going into flash or a short cold. But with a novel, I want to know genre. I won't commit to longer fiction if it isn't something I'm in the mood for.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I've never consciously sought out the genre of a book I'm interested in. I don't think much about it, unless I'm trying to figure out what my stories are. Occasionally I'll say, "Man I'm really in the mood for a good _____ story," but it's more about the tone of the book than the genre for me.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I do search out books by genre. Sometimes I really want to read a space opera.

Also there are some genres I don't care to read-- and while I can usually figure it out before too much of the story I don't really want to spend the time figuring it out.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think I would prefer to know the genres, or at least a jacket blurb. It's about shifting your mindset to prepare for certain suspension of disbelief. For me, it takes different mental energy to read contemporary vs. epic fantasy. I don't mind surprises, but I'd rather be at least a bit prepared before I invest my time into those worlds.

For example, going in to Children of Men I knew it's science fiction set in London in 2029, but otherwise in the "real world." That set up a certain mindset for me.

Last edited:

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
All I need is to read the back cover and maybe the teaser blurb in the first few pages (is there an official name for that?). Unless I'm shopping online, or intentionally walking through a specific section of the bookstore, I don't care what genre it is when I pick it up. The back cover blurb plus the way the whole cover is designed usually tells me anyway. If it looks interesting then it looks interesting, and I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.