PDA

View Full Version : What's your AW process?

scope
06-25-2008, 01:37 AM
After you click on AW and the home page appears, what's your usual process?

For example:
>Click on "New Posts."
>Click on "Todays Posts" -- under "Quick Links."
>Click on each thread on main page and thereafter those posts of interest.

Given the time differences I always think I may be overlooking something. What about you? What's your process?

althrasher
06-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Click on "Random musings about your writing."
Open new page.
Go to new posts.

jerrywaxler
06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Hmm. That's a great question. I have three or four boards I troll, and since I'm here almost every day, I usually just look for the notes that say they changed today:
Blogging
Life Writing
Nonfiction Books

Occasionally I scan the list of boards and if the title of the most recently changed one grabs my eye, I'll dip into it. And that's exactly what happened to me just now when I saw the subject "What's your AW process."

Jerry Waxler

Elodie-Caroline
06-25-2008, 01:51 AM
I first click onto Subscribed threads, to see if I want to read the updates of threads I've already participated in. From there I click onto New Posts to see if there's something I want to contribute to; I do read a lot of them, even if I don't reply.

Elodie

Polenth
06-25-2008, 02:37 AM
I check rep points for messages. I tend to visit writing novels and the roundtable first. After that, I wander around. I don't post that much compared to what I read.

KTC
06-25-2008, 02:40 AM
I used to come in and go directly to the poetry forum, but I'm currently having a hard time stomaching it. Now I just bypass it and go directly to NEW POSTS.

MrWrite
06-25-2008, 03:11 AM
I check rep points for messages. I tend to visit writing novels and the roundtable first. After that, I wander around. I don't post that much compared to what I read.

I do exactly the same lol. If anyone wants to give me a freebie rep so I have something to read when I first sign in I'd be very appreciative! ;)

steveg144
06-25-2008, 03:14 AM
I start at the top and work my way down. If the latest topic shown on the front summary screen intrigues me, I go into that forum. Some forums I go in regardless.

Mel
06-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Always click New Posts, and continue with that throughout the day. A few places have their own tabs so I can keep track. If someone makes a reference to something that sounds, um, interesting then I'll go through the main page and find it.

Mandy-Jane
06-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah I start with New Posts also, and keep checking on and off throughout the day. Or if I've got extra time, I drop into specific areas that interest me, like Playwriting and a few others.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-25-2008, 03:38 AM
I hit the Mod Squad room first, if I don't have any PMs. Then I go to Office Party... then 'New Posts'. ;)

Oh. Wait. FIRST it's Rep Points... :)

William Haskins
06-25-2008, 03:42 AM
find the latest poster in the newbie forum.

click to PM them.

tell them their puppy is dead if they don't paypal me ten dollars.

go out to lunch.

Devil Ledbetter
06-25-2008, 03:47 AM
Stalk KTC. Check reps. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Polenth
06-25-2008, 03:47 AM

Now people are checking up on me by sending rep points, but I'm on to you! I saw them!

MrWrite
06-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Wow thanks for all the reps guys! I'm finally off that extinguished - oops I mean distinguished road. I got me some respect now! :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-25-2008, 04:05 AM
Enjoy it. Won't last long.

Soccer Mom
06-25-2008, 05:01 AM
Check reps.
Check PMs.
Check Mod Room
Check Subscribed threads.
Check Roundtable.
Surf around.

Not always in that order. ;) Sometimes I check here first to make sure no one set the table on fire while I was gone.

Matera the Mad
06-25-2008, 05:05 AM
PMs? None, go to...somewhere, nose around a bit; then get a notion and check the point zone, see a strange comment and wonder wtf I said that was so good... wander around some more, greet some newbz, play some games

Danger Jane
06-25-2008, 05:36 AM
PMs, reps, novels, roundtable, story research, maybe sandbox or SFF, then I end up roaming aimlessly.

jennifer75
06-25-2008, 05:51 AM
I Click on "Subscribed Threads"
Then I click on "Todays Posts"
If I don't see anything I like, I sometimes jump into the research threads.
Then I jump into the Movies and TV thread.

So, yea, that's where you can find me. ;)

Cranky
06-25-2008, 05:56 AM
I don't normally have PM's *Sniff*, so I check my reps, reply (rep in return), then it's New Posts and surfing from there, depending on what grabs me. :D

brianm
06-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Well, I'll be. I never noticed the new post button until this thread. Thank you.

Mel
06-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Week days especially, if you go through New Posts make sure when you get to the last page you click it again. Always some more new ones. :) After that I always move over to Quick Links and click Mark as Read. Pages will pile up if you don't.

TPCSWR
06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Novels
Roundtable
Fantasy/Sci-fi
Writing prompts/exercises or SYW if I have time.

Jo
06-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I have my User CP bookmarked, so that's my first stop, which includes PMs, RPs and New Subscribed Threads. Then I'm off to Today's Posts (which can be up to 18 or so pages, so I'll only probably check the first few on and off throughout the day). Sometimes I'll surf individual rooms because I miss a lot of posts due to being on Aussie time. People post a lot while I'm asleep. Pfft!

Shady Lane
06-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Click on "Random musings about your writing."
Open new page.
Go to new posts.

Yeah that.

Toothpaste
06-25-2008, 07:34 AM
I work my way down.

Basic Writing
Novels
Children's
Bewares
Roundtable
Movies and TV
Science Fiction/Fantasy
Ask Agent
Ask Editor

If I have time I go back and check out some other sections.

If I have tons of time, SYW

Sometimes I totally forget to check for PMs and Reps. And then I do, and they is happy making!

Mr Flibble
06-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Same as Toohpaste really. Open up and work my way down.

Basic Writing
Novels
Rounrable
Movies and TV
PC & E if I'm feeling masochistic:D
SF/F (also romance and religious sometimes)
SYW
Office party and Newbies if I have time

Sassee
06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
A pattern, I has one.

Rep Points
Writing Novels
Round Table
Story Research
Share Your Work (SFF)
Get with the genre: SFF
Get with the genre: horror

... and if I feel especially bored I check Office Party, but I usually don't have time these days (because I'll usually spend a good 30 min just in Office Party).

I'll also click to follow any topic that has an interesting thread title regardless of what child board it's in.

misslissy
06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I click on User Cp then take care of everything there. Then I go to New Threads to browse through there for anything that catches my eye.

auntybug
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
User CP - check reps & subscribed threads... New Posts..

JimmyB27
06-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Check rep points.
Search my name for all updated threads I've posted in.
Check reps.
Work down from top, always check 'Writing Novels', 'Roundtable', OP, TIO to SF&F. Maybe some others if there's something interesting.
Check reps.

tehuti88
06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Basic Writing Questions
Writing Novels
Writing Short Fiction
For All Writers: The AW Roundtable
Science Fiction/Fantasy
Historical Writing

Check each for new/updated posts. Maybe check out a few other random things if I have time. Then check my user CP, then that's usually it.

III
06-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Maestrowork user profile
Find all posts by user
Report post button
QuickWit user profile
Find all posts by user
Report post button
Cray user profile
Find all posts by user
Report post button
PayPal
Send weekly $20 to Haskins to spare my puppy for one more week
Private Messages
Type long, heartfelt PM to Cranky
Reconsider and delete
Rep AuntyBug
Break up fights in the Music Forum
Mod Room
Start threads complaining about Ray, Quickie, and Cray
Log off and weep quietly

rhymegirl
06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I start at the top and work my way down. If the latest topic shown on the front summary screen intrigues me, I go into that forum. Some forums I go in regardless.

I do this, too.

Lyra Jean
06-25-2008, 05:53 PM
User CP
Rep points
subscribed threads
Udated blog thread whether or not it shows in subcribed as being posted in
blogging threads
subscribe to anything I post in

Quossum
06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I only allow myself to visit once a day, as I am a board addict and could easily spend days and days at a time hovering over my replies and clicking "New Posts," but that doesn't get writing done.

I come in and read:

Basic Writing Questions
Writing Novels
Roundtable
Grammar for GrasshoppersAfter that, if I consider that I haven't wasted enough of my day yet, I'll poke around in other forums to see what I can see.

--Q

lakotagirl
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Depends on whether the 'juices are flowing'.

If I'm having a good streak of writing, I usually check PM's and rep points (depending if I've done anything from 'Beta Readers Wanted'). Then I might pop in to Basic Writing. Then, I'm off to play with my own stuff.

But, if I'm in a dry period, I'll see if anyone has something in SYW that I can help with. And I might check New Posts to see if there is anything interesting. -> I don't do that too often anymore. -- I tend to get a little nosey and wind up reading so many posts that time slips by and I curse myself later for not working on my own stuff.

jennifer75
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
What's the difference between "New Posts" and the "todays Posts" in Quick Links?

quickWit
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Spout off.
Log out.