Writing While "Working"

Do you write while at work?

• Yes, all the time.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Whenever I have a spare moment.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • No. I'm way too busy, but I wish I could.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • No way. When I'm at work, I'm here to work. I write when I can during off-duty hours.

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
I'm just curious, how many of you write while you're at you paying job?

Me, I completed my first manuscript and sent out queries. I've completed a rough second manuscript and am currently in the process of revising it, and I'm a little more than halfway through my third manuscript.

I've also critiqued several other manuscripts.

All while sitting at my desk and getting paid.

If you don't, why don't you? Are you just too busy, or are do your high work ethics keep you in line?

Last edited:

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write at work. For me, it's a combination of being busy, fairly strict document-sharing protocols and the fact that the environment really isn't conducive to writing.

On slow days, I will sometimes do a bit of research, though.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I write at work too. I work alone & my days are super slow. When I was hired, my boss said, "Bring a book." I write them instead.

I want your job. Any tips on how to find a job where I can write at work?

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I used to be a receptionist. I didn't even have a computer! I sat there and handwrote many a false starts that ended up in the trash, and I went through about two books every week.

Now, I have a bit more to do than that...and thankfully a computer to type my manuscripts instead of handwriting them.

Auntybug - I want that job too!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
ACEnders:
I'm just curious, how many of you write while you're at you paying job?

Nope. I'll surf the web and check out AW whilst I'm working if things are a bit slow or I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for typing to come back etc, but I'm very careful to take my writing outside to a local cafe during my lunch hour. I'm not paid to work on my own manuscript during work hours and I'd regard it as dishonest to be doing so whilst accepting my salary.

MM

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It is rarely slow in my office, and I have to keep all my ongoing tasks loaded in my brain, so switching to writing tends to counter that (I am a horrid multi-tasker). It does sometimes get a bit slow, in which case I have done a bit of research or some poetry. Since January of this year, though, it has mostly just been crazy insane, enough that it has actually affected my writing at home. Downloading all the work stuck in my head so I can upload my WIP is killing me right now.

:(

-Michelle

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't at this job, but I have at others--always with the boss' knowledge and blessing. As long as I was interruptable for money work, they just wanted me to look busy and typing away on Word and occasionally muttered under my breath acheived that.

This job's entirely too hectic to do anything more than occasionally pop in here for a mental health break during the day. But I'd love to get paid to write again.

Starwise

Debut Urban Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pierreroustan.spaces.live.com
I'm right with you on that. My most recent work, THE CAIN LETTERS, I wrote mostly at work. Took me about six months to finish. I'm trying not to write nearly as much during work, because it does set me back a lot here. I have deadlines.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a nurse in an Intensive Care Unit- sometimes I don't even have time to pee let alone write! But on the flip side, I only work 3 days a week and write on my days off.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Does school count? I always write my stories during class. When class gets boring, or there's no assignments left to be done, I just write away! Or you can always see me multitasking, doing classwork whilst writing fiction. If you can just take a five minute strecher and write something. An idea isn't going to wait for you to write it down, so if a light bulb pops up, get something out. :D

You guys are so lucky to have work. Don't ask why.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Momento Mori. I am paid a salary to do my job; it would seem dishonest to write during the time I am being paid to work.

I also believe it makes my life a whole lot less complicated if I keep the day job and the writing completely separate entities.

(That doesn't mean I don't occasionally take a peek at AW on quiet days, however)

Shara

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
My job is often drought or drown. Some days I have almost nothing to do. Others, I have to do 3-days worth of work in one. It all depends. On slow days, there's only so much make-work I can give myself so I might take some time to write (I often get stuck working longer hours than I can get paid for, so I don't feel bad). I'm also required to be in the office for 9 hours each day, but can only charge time for 8 (the joy of being pseudo-salaried). That extra one hour is supposed to be a lunch break, but no one cares what I do with it. So if I eat fast, I can write (or surf AW).

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I do a lot of my writing, research, querying and printing out of submission materials while at work. I have one of those jobs like Ink Wench where Monday-Wednesday are usually insane and Thursday-Friday are usually dead.

Of course, I wouldn't be able to get away with it if I wasn't (a) really good at what I do and (b) highly placed at my job.

It's a perk. I'll admit it.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I am usually at least pondering writing stuff while I'm working. I've been known to jot down inspirations during meetings and such. But I try to save the actual writing portion for my lunch breaks. (sometimes, this means I have to type REALLY fast to get it all down in time)

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
If I were actually shirking my working to write, I might feel "dishonest" as some have opined. The fact is--my job doesn't have enough work for me to do. I'm required to be physically present 40 hours a week, but there just aren't 40 hours of work to do. Unless I work reeeeeeeallllllly slowly. Of course, it explains why until me they had a hard time keeping anyone in this position--boredom.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't write at work. I do have plenty of time (night porter at a hotel), but the idea that could be interrupted keeps me from focussing properly. When I'm "in a scene" I need to go forward. If I'm kicked out, it's quite possible that I lose what I've written so far, in that I don't find the right approach to continue. (I was struggling through a scene once, when I was interrupted by a phone call. All the time writing was lost. I ended up deleting that scene.)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I write during boring classes, or classes that are so simple I don't need to pay attention to pass. So I take my laptop, spend the whole hour typing, ocassionaly look up to the professor and every two or three classes answer a particularly difficult question no one seems to know to reassure the teacher that yes, I am learning something.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If I were actually shirking my working to write, I might feel "dishonest" as some have opined. The fact is--my job doesn't have enough work for me to do. I'm required to be physically present 40 hours a week, but there just aren't 40 hours of work to do. Unless I work reeeeeeeallllllly slowly. Of course, it explains why until me they had a hard time keeping anyone in this position--boredom.

That's how it is. My boss has never actually told me she knows I write, but I think she does. She HAS told me as long as my work gets done, she doesn't care what I do. And I'm damn good at my job. Work gets done, on time, and in excellent condition.

Then I write.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly temping at the moment so it depends on the job. Today I managed to get a good 1500 words done on my main piece. I always try to write during my lunch break although today I was pretty exhausted so I probably only got 3-400 words done on my side project which I'm writing in long hand.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I edit my butt off while at work, but haven't written anything from scratch ... yet.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the books for five hours a day, but I hang out for eight. So three of those hours are all mine, apart from answering the phone or doing the occasional emergency job. It's one of the perks I claim for being overeducated and underpaid. ;)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
While I haven't written since the beginning of the year - almost half of my WIP (I think I'm at about 60K) was writtin here at my desk at work.

sidenote: the other half was written at home. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.