PDA

View Full Version : QUERY vs SUBMISSION

oneidii
04-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello all, I feel stupid to ask this question but I want to make sure. I want to know: if an agent has submission guidelines on his page but I want to first send a query letter to him to see if he is interested...is this frowned upon? I had originally planned to send out only submissions but I think in the end the query route is the better way to go.

Also, what about multiple query letters (of course geared toward the individual agent) I have six favorites and would like to see if any are interested. If they are, do they a) call me and ask for the manuscript b) write me by email and ask me, or c) send the query letter back with a "send ms" on it? Inquiring minds want to know. :) I'm a little bit foggy on this part and didn't want to step on any toes. I know my crew at AbsoluteWrite know!

Thanks a bunch from cold Deutschland! Oneidii

Chacounne
04-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Probably the best person to answer this question is our resident agent Andy Zack, who can be found under the Ask An Agent forum towards the bottom of the whole Cooler forum listing. I know in the past he has advised following the agent's guidelines, but reading that forum and inquiring might be a good idea.

Hope this helps,
Chacounne

HConn
04-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Get the agent's submission guidelines and follow them exactly. If they ask for three chapters and a synopsis, don't send them a query instead.

You could hear back from the agent in any number of ways, I guess. Depends on the agent and the circumstances.

Julie Worth
04-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Of course you want to send more than one query! But if you’re going to send just a query letter, be sure to send a good one. See the example that Nicholas Sparks has here (http://www.nicholassparks.com/WritersCorner/Query.html).

aka eraser
04-14-2005, 08:10 PM
HConn's got it right. Guidelines aren't suggestions. They're the preferred way of approaching that agent/pub. Ignore them at your peril.

oneidii
04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
No I definately don't want to ignore them, far from it...but I thought a simple query letter would be a good way to introduce myself and story and then see if they are even interested in the premise...that is all. I would fully follow the submission guidelines but I thought to do a query instead...I'll send this down to the ask an agent...thanks guys...

IWrite
04-15-2005, 03:41 AM
Why would anyone want to send only a query if the agency submission guidelines allow you to send more?

Talk about telling vs. showing.

If you 've got a greenlight to submit a partial from the get-go - why request permission that's already been granted? It just gives them an extra opportunity to say "no" before reading your ms. Let them make a decision based on your partial ms or synopsis rather than your query. It's unbelivably difficult for many writers to get across their style in a query. Nothing speaks louder about how you write than a sample of your writing.

Celeste
04-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Hello all, I feel stupid to ask this question but I want to make sure. I want to know: if an agent has submission guidelines on his page but I want to first send a query letter to him to see if he is interested...is this frowned upon? I had originally planned to send out only submissions but I think in the end the query route is the better way to go.

Also, what about multiple query letters (of course geared toward the individual agent) I have six favorites and would like to see if any are interested. If they are, do they a) call me and ask for the manuscript b) write me by email and ask me, or c) send the query letter back with a "send ms" on it? Inquiring minds want to know. :) I'm a little bit foggy on this part and didn't want to step on any toes. I know my crew at AbsoluteWrite know!

Thanks a bunch from cold Deutschland! Oneidii

No I definately don't want to ignore them, far from it...but I thought a simple query letter would be a good way to introduce myself and story and then see if they are even interested in the premise...that is all. I would fully follow the submission guidelines but I thought to do a query instead...I'll send this down to the ask an agent...thanks guys...

Do exactly what the agent's guidelines suggest. Although, you think it would be better to go the other route first, doesn't mean the agent will. If they had wanted it any other way than what's in their guidelines, they would've had it in their guidelines to do so.

Good luck!

celeste