Advise Please

• Thread starter The WRITE Business Solutions
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

The WRITE Business Solutions

I have recently started my own business and while I have been bashed on my only other post here, I am legit.

My business The WRITE Business Solutions is a writing business. I offer a database for fellow freelance writers to join. All writings will be paid for.

That brings about my first question: I am a new business. When someone out of the database does an assignment, what would be fare? On a recent assignment, the client was charged $30. I offered the freelancers $18 which is 60%. Was that fare considering the time and effort I put into the deal? The freelancers agreed and were happy, as was the client. But for future reference, am I on the right tract?

Next month, I am going to get a better web site. Any suggestions on good ones that a new business trying to break even and pay the bills could use? I want one with no or next to no pop-ups.

I would also like to offer small time advertising ... on the new site and on the bottom of the newsletters. Any more ideas? If I can get some advertisers, than I can pay the writers more for their work.

Should I start having everything I make as a freelancer put into The WRITE Business Solutions' account?

Finally, I am not an editor. I have always been able to write but for one, I didn't care about punctuation when I was in school. I vainly considered that to be an editor's job. I've never been the best speller. Of course modern technology helps but then I was also the Jessica Fletcher of my time. I didn't upgrade from my Smith Corona SD-700 a few years ago. Then I was given a word processor and thought that was all I would ever need. Last year a friend gave me their old computer and I went online for the first time.

I am still learning ... about everything. I know there are classes I need to take to improve some of my skills and once things settle down I will be doing just that. In the meantime, though, I am asking advise from the people who have taken this to levels higher than I have.

Thanks for your help.

Tammatha

rtilryarms

I am going to try a different approach. This board is here to help people not bash them.
You have to be careful when advertising a call for writers on assignments then become vague on details and/or waffle on information you post. That just tickles our suspicion bones.
You have done this.
I will give you one example of many:

Here you wrote:

“Finally, I am not an editor. I have always been able to write but for one, I didn't care about punctuation when I was in school. I vainly considered that to be an editor's job. I've never been the best speller”

But on the other post, the one from which you claim a bashing, you advertise yourself as the “Managing Editor”.

Stop here if you don’t understand what is wrong with that.

OK,
So it looks like you want to be a freelance matchmaker between clients and writers.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. Everyone is free to start a business and advertise. We are only interested in truth and consistency of information. Do you think we don’t have that right?

As far as spelling errors and grammar inconsistencies, NO PROBLEM. Don King never boxed successfully but he is the best promoter of the sport ever. Steve Jobs had never assembled a computer when he started Apple Computers.
But don’t say you are a boxer or a computer tech if you are not.

You seem to want to start a business. I think that is great. You don’t have to pretend you have assignments if you don’t. You shouldn’t because we will se through it.

Just be square with us, that is all we ask. Because I guarantee we will be square with you…..

Ask for help, it is readily available here.

Mike
(the jerk)

Thanks Mike. Sorry about the "jerk" thing but like a mother bear, I was protecting my cub.

First off, I am a writer. In fact this will be short I have to cover the local school board meeting for the paper. I did not give myself the title and I disagree with it but the person who "assigned" it to me, also gave me business cards. I plan on asking all in the database and maybe here to, for a suggestion for a better one. Do you have any suggestions? Or anybody for that matter.

I do have some assignments. "The BIG one" is still in the negotiation stage, I'll forward you the emails from my client for your personal viewing if you still have doubts. Another example was one for some sports columnist. I had enough writers with sports writing in the database so I did not advertise for it. With the "big one," he needed several writers with very specific guidelines and qualifications. I don't even qualify for it. That's why I put the ad out for that particular assignment. I can't list a price when I have no idea. The guy is talking about doing other things and has yet to give me the length or answer a few other questions.

Right now I have to run to make it to the meeting. The Superintendent is retiring there electing a new President and VP ... It's going to be a busy night. But I do appreciate the help. I need some to make this thing work. I have the basic idea, I just need help getting this thing rolling.

One last note, what all is involved in becoming LLC.? I know I want to do that and need to but when? Is now to soon?

Thanks for any and all help.

Sincerely,

Tammatha R. Conelry

rtilryarms

Tammatha

Thank you,

That is much more professional and gives more credibility to your business.

Please do not feel like you have to forward anything to me. I am not the one you need to convince. It is the other playa's in here.

Just be prepared that this board is not afraid to give you the once over.

boy you should see the stuff I went through a couple of years ago when I came in here proclaiming to the the second coming of Dickenson! LOL. I should just delete those old posts but my enemies would just butcher them and re-post them.

this board is good for up and comers. I will link one post I made where I thanked people for being straight with me.

Good luck;

Mike
(ex jerk)
(BTY jerk was the BEST thing I was called all day today)

rtilryarms

title

The best title I found when giving people control over departments is "Managing Director". This gives much prominence yet allows people to promote managing skills rather than the technical skill of thier staff or clients.

Has a Big business flavor to it too. Fortune 500 Co's use this.

Lori Basiewicz

I did not give myself the title and I disagree with it but the person who "assigned" it to me, also gave me business cards.

You can get inexpensive, professional looking business cards from Vista Print or design your own using Microsoft Word or another word processing program and take them to your local Kinko's or other area printer. Even Vista Print's "free" cards will cost you a little money, but I think you may like the control you will have over your own designs and information better.

One last note, what all is involved in becoming LLC.? I know I want to do that and need to but when? Is now to soon?

This depends on where you are located. If you are in the United States, the exact process will be determined by your state government. If you check out your state's website, they should have a section devote to individuals who wish to incorporate themselves.

And, for what's it worth, Mike's right. When new id's started appearing in defense of your business that seemed to come from you, I was not impressed with the lack of professionalism and wrote off your business as not worth my time. Just answer questions as calmly and as professionally as you are able even when you want to reach through the computer screen and knock people's heads together and it makes us a much easier bunch to handle. And remember, you do not have to respond right away or at all.

I wish you the best of luck with your business endeavors.

Re: title

Thanks Mike. I like that one. :D

Tammatha

Thanks. I bought from them before and loved the cards. I will either buy from them again or do them myself if they don't have a similar design.

I will check with the state and see what they say about the LLC thing, too. I hadn't even thought about that ... meeting with the Chamber of Commerce, Executives at different businesses, sorting through all the samples from writers wanting in the database, working on the business templates for the investors, etc. :p

I had no idea it would be this much work! I love it though. But my five year old has a different opinion. She says I spend less time with her now that I'm working from home than when I drove 45 minutes to an hour one way and worked 9-12 hours! And she's probably right. I wake up and go to work, force myself to break for a shower (lol), eat all meals at the computer and keep going until I can't see straight. I think the average is about 16 1/2 hours - 17. :eek

But back to the topic, thanks.

Tammatha

Status
Not open for further replies.