Sent Out Five Queries

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess I just can't get enough pain. I went and sent out five queries this evening, after rewriting my book and working on a query letter for about two months.

In the past I'd get all jumpy about it and expect results within a few days. I guess I'm a bit more practical these days. I'm expecting three rejections and two no-replies and I don't even care. Am I insane?

-MM

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Why send out queries whose purpose is to interest agents and/or publishers re the possibility of selling your work if you don't care? If you don't care, why should they care?

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
So far my instincts have been good. Two rejections this morning. I'm expecting one more tomorrow and then, of course, the two non-replies which I will get by way of not receiving.

Honestly, I'm not being fatalistic. I'm just calculating the odds and they are about 1 in 20 for a positive reply of any kind.

And when I say "I don't care," I don't mean, "I don't care." I mean it isn't going to crush me when the NO's come rolling in. Because they will. It used to ruin me for days at a time. But at this point it has happened so much that I can't let it get me down. It is a choice, and one that took a LONG time to learn to answer properly. Plus, if I send out 50 queries and they all come back "no", that's a buttload of down time. And life's just too short. Do I have my bad days? Ask my wife. But today isn't one of them.

And you know what, two NO's this morning and I'm flying high, even with this pesky sinus infection and a morning of modelling satellite dynamics.

-MM

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
That's the spirit! You have to care about the writing, because you control that, but then it's time to back off a little and let the publishing world do its worst. There's no other way to go.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, so far I am extremely close to my estimate. I assumed three 'no' responses within 24 hours. I got the third 'no' within 36 hours. Unfortunately my work is, "not right for their lists." It will be difficult to prove my prediction for the non-responses, but I'll set a limit of say, four weeks. If nothing then, I will assume a 'no'.

Ten years and the only thing I've learned to do is predict the response histogram of the queries! :Headbang:

-MM

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, so far I am extremely close to my estimate. I assumed three 'no' responses within 24 hours. I got the third 'no' within 36 hours. Unfortunately my work is, "not right for their lists." It will be difficult to prove my prediction for the non-responses, but I'll set a limit of say, four weeks. If nothing then, I will assume a 'no'.

Ten years and the only thing I've learned to do is predict the response histogram of the queries! :Headbang:

-MM

The thing is, when they don't answer at all, what are you supposed to think? I feel like it's the equivalent of sending out a message in a bottle or being a dateless person waiting for the phone to ring (which I have never done personally but this writing thing feels like that I guess).

I have sent out 22 queries in the last 3 months, all carefully targeted to agents that might be interested in my kind of book. I have received 13 rejections and the other 9, well... Do I consider that a rejection also? I wish I knew whether it was my query (the premise) they didn't like or something else. The rejections I get are so standard and badly worded that it's hard to tell what they're thinking.

When I sent out my second query wave, the query had been retooled after some good feedback from people. I thought it would get at least one request for a partial but I haven't gotten anything except 2 rejections.

elissa

holding my breath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lissnkids.blogspot.com
Many agents say that they do not respond to emailed queries for rejections. I'm not sayin' I like it. But I kind of understand it, given their huge volume. Now, if someone doesn't reply to a snail mail submission and you sent an SASE, I'd say it's time to drop an email and ask if it was received.

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
Many agents say that they do not respond to emailed queries for rejections. I'm not sayin' I like it. But I kind of understand it, given their huge volume. Now, if someone doesn't reply to a snail mail submission and you sent an SASE, I'd say it's time to drop an email and ask if it was received.

Good thinking elissa. I'll just go through the email pile where I marked the date sent and toss those that have gone past the 6 weeks ago mark. But the snail mail ones (I'm diligent about sending SASEs with enough postage) where 5 weeks has passed will definitely get a follow-up. I just need to find out why I'm being rejected. No feedback is making me sad and discouraged. As in I don't feel like writing at all. Just reading a bunch of library books. God, what a load I am.

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I got a fourth rejection today and the urge to give in to the depression is knocking there on the door. But I am going to resist. I will not allow myself to fall into that trap again!

-MM

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! : )

When you really think about it, we're SUPPOSED to have rejections. We query, once our letters are polished, to specific agents'/human beings' very specific tastes.

If getting an agent is akin to finding a needle in a haystack, then you BELIEVE the needle exists, and if you persist, you'll find it. But if you expect EVERY haystack to have a needle, you then have a hand in setting yourself up for EXTRA disappointment.

The query and rejection process is just that -- a process.

In addition, maybe we have those rejections in order to teach us something, and to teach us how to be stronger. You never know how many life-lessons are served by the harder times in ones life.

All that aside, it IS a disapointing process, and a hard one. Whatever we can do to shore ourselves up is a good thing, of course, including regulating the size of our disappointments with logic, like you are doing.

Hooray for you, too, for putting yourself out there!

Em

So far my instincts have been good. Two rejections this morning. I'm expecting one more tomorrow and then, of course, the two non-replies which I will get by way of not receiving.

Honestly, I'm not being fatalistic. I'm just calculating the odds and they are about 1 in 20 for a positive reply of any kind.

And when I say "I don't care," I don't mean, "I don't care." I mean it isn't going to crush me when the NO's come rolling in. Because they will. It used to ruin me for days at a time. But at this point it has happened so much that I can't let it get me down. It is a choice, and one that took a LONG time to learn to answer properly. Plus, if I send out 50 queries and they all come back "no", that's a buttload of down time. And life's just too short. Do I have my bad days? Ask my wife. But today isn't one of them.

And you know what, two NO's this morning and I'm flying high, even with this pesky sinus infection and a morning of modelling satellite dynamics.

-MM