Goat/kid recipes

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any easy recipes suitable for someone who has never eaten or cooked goat, but wants to try? Anything to avoid?

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
I cook kid meat the same way I cook lamb. Roasted, grilled or (my favorite) on the rotisserie. Just don’t overcook it as it is low in fat and can become dry and tough. Mature goat should be stewed. Here’s a recipe I found online for Indian Goat Curry. It was very tasty.

http://www.boer-goats-farmstay-bed-breakfast.com/curry-goat.html

Last edited:

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like lamb but lower in fat, and stew grown up goat. Great, that's the advice I was looking for. It's always helpful to start from a point of comparison.

BTW why do curries (and other Asian dishes) so often include coriandor. I hate the stuff. It tastes like chewing pencils.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Like lamb but lower in fat, and stew grown up goat. Great, that's the advice I was looking for. It's always helpful to start from a point of comparison.

BTW why do curries (and other Asian dishes) so often include coriandor. I hate the stuff. It tastes like chewing pencils.

Because it grows all over the place? Cultures tend to use things that grow in abundance in their native lands. Coriander (the seed) and cilantro (the stem/leaves) are two flavors you either like or don't like. It's not something that you can acquire a taste for or so I've been told. I happen to love both.

If you really don't like it, leave it out of the recipe or substitute Italian leaf parsley. I have two friends who don't like cilantro but they love my Indian Chicken curry. They sprinkle it with chopped up Italian leaf parsley instead of cilantro. It does add a nice freshness to the curry without the objectionable cilantro flavor they dislike. But you won't catch me doing that.:D

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score

Coriander is one of those herbs, I've found, that people either love or hate. My husband and I and most of my friends are crazy for it. We'll put it into anything. LOL! I think there must be a taste receptor difference.

Oh, yeah. Goat is like bony lamb. Cook it the same way. Goat doesn't seem to have the same kind of American style 'cuts' like lamb, so find a good bone-in stew recipe and try it. Goat's really good, if you like lamb and adapts well to Indian or African coooking.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Strange... I used to hate cilantro but now I tolerate it quite well :D I must be a freak of nature heheh.

We had baby goat the other day (actually, I think I still have half the critter in the freezer), it's pretty good in a milder irish stew but really, on the grill is best, rubbed with rosemary.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any easy recipes suitable for someone who has never eaten or cooked goat, but wants to try? Anything to avoid?

Birria is a great mexican dish - goat cooked up up shredded and served with tortillas. Deeeeeeeelish.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/deliciousmaindishes/r/authenticbirria.htm

I was only able to find a few recipes, but they all pretty much seem more intermediate.....I suggest finding a place that serves Birria, and eat it up. I've had the stew form and the shredded form, I prefer shredded.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
CILANTRO.jpg