Anyone from Boston?

JenUK24

Jess aged 15 months
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

This may sound like a weird question, but whats Boston like? My husband has always wanted to move there, and I've always wanted to live in US. So we have compromised, we would one day move to US but only to Boston.

Its nothing thats going to happen in the immediate future, unless my husband can get transfered with work, which does happen sometimes. Its just something I was thinking about and thought who better to ask but you guys :D

J x

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...we would one day move to US but only to Boston.
"Only to Boston?" Really? Why that narrows your options down considerably.

I've been there a number of times and have friends who live in the area. It's a nice place to visit for about a week or so, and then I'm glad to be home. (That's not meant to knock Boston in any way; it's just not my type of tea party.)

Maybe you can expand your search of suitable cities in the US that you might like to explore. As you know, there's a whole country outside of Boston.

Good luck. :)

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in the Boston area, lived in Boston proper for 4 years and now live slightly north of Boston.

It's a big, expensive, coastal city. Recently there's been a lot of park development downtown which is lovely (what used to be an elevated highway is now a string of gardens and fountains). There are historical sites, museums, restaurants galore, and of course the city as a whole is rather sports-crazy. Each major neighborhood has its own sort of personality and culture. It's very much a college town, but certain areas are more collegiate than others. It can also be pretty touristy, depending on the area and time of year. It is hot and humid in the summer, lovely in the autumn and frigid and snowy for the other half of the year.

That all sounds kind of vague but describing any big city is kind of difficult.

Visit before even thinking of moving. Has your husband visited? Like Silver King said above, it is not everyone's cup of tea. I love it, personally, but to each their own, of course.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is from Boston, so we have been there a lot. I hate it. I grew up near Philadelphia and NYC. I prefer those cities to Boston. I find the majority of people who live in Boston are very "me" centered... in fact in NH we call them Massholes. :) they also have some of the rudest drivers in the world. It is the only I know that soo many people drove in the Break down lane, they couldn't control it... so now it is legal to drive in the break down lane from 7-9 a.m.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went to school in Boston, and I lived there for several years. I left before a lot of the recent development; there's a lot to love about Boston, but judging by the thread so far, not everybody feels that way.

(The following are impressions and recollections from fifteen years ago, and longer. They may be out of date; then again, Boston's an old city.)

It does have the big-city frustrations, and at times, I did feel like you had to be born there to be really a part of it. But it's cosmopolitan too, and it's historical to an extent that very few American cities are.

There are fifty-odd colleges and universities in the area, which will tell you something about the intellectual scene, the arts culture, and the proliferation of bookshops. Also, the museums are wonderful.

It's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The shopping is excellent, and the traffic is horrendous. However, the subway system is serviceable.

It's a big city, so a lot of your experience will depend on where you end up making your home (city vs. suburbs, and which suburb). As is the case with most places, some neighbourhoods are decidedly exclusive, while others are more plain or even earthy. Boston's class divisions, as I recall, are probably as clear-cut as just about anywhere in the US; being on the right side of the tracks has major advantages. In Boston, it's often not how much money you have, but how old that money is.

I've heard it said that Boston is the most like England of any American city. I don't know whether that's true - that might just mean that it's old.

In my experience, Bostonians are by and large fiercely loyal to their city.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!!

That is all...

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
This may sound like a weird question, but whats Boston like?
Okay, I'll only tell you if you promise not to tell. Promise? Okay.

I love the city of Boston. It's like any big cities with the big city personality. But there's so much history, fabulous restaurants, great museums, downtown is pretty clean (compared to NY.) I almost moved there about 7 years ago, but the cost of living was a bit too high for our income level. Definitely visit if you haven't. It's a great city, but it's still a city. I would move there in a heart beat if the opportunity presented itself.

My only hang up is the whole... yeah. You know. Baseball.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I went to school in Boston, and I lived there for several years. I left before a lot of the recent development; there's a lot to love about Boston, but judging by the thread so far, not everybody feels that way.

(The following are impressions and recollections from fifteen years ago, and longer. They may be out of date; then again, Boston's an old city.)

It does have the big-city frustrations, and at times, I did feel like you had to be born there to be really a part of it. But it's cosmopolitan too, and it's historical to an extent that very few American cities are.

I will confess to loving the historical side of Boston. We toured Old Ironsides Last year and it was wonderful. However just for the record.. Philly is also historical.. except in recent months.. Philly is loaded with crime.. Boston has a relatively low crime rate.

There are fifty-odd colleges and universities in the area, which will tell you something about the intellectual scene, the arts culture, and the proliferation of bookshops. Also, the museums are wonderful.

It's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The shopping is excellent, and the traffic is horrendous. However, the subway system is serviceable.

And for the record, most of New England is freezing in the winter. The subway system is okay, I haven't used it much.

There are also small areas outside of Boston, like Brighton, Cambridge, Arlington, Belmont, Charlestown, etc. I do like Brighton, it does remind you a lot of England.. it has small speciality shops.

Boston is also a very hugh sports town. The Bruins, The Celtics, The Red Sox and The Patriots.

It's a big city, so a lot of your experience will depend on where you end up making your home (city vs. suburbs, and which suburb). As is the case with most places, some neighbourhoods are decidedly exclusive, while others are more plain or even earthy. Boston's class divisions, as I recall, are probably as clear-cut as just about anywhere in the US; being on the right side of the tracks has major advantages. In Boston, it's often not how much money you have, but how old that money is.

I've heard it said that Boston is the most like England of any American city. I don't know whether that's true - that might just mean that it's old.

In my experience, Bostonians are by and large fiercely loyal to their city.

You made me feel guilty about my post... Your's is much more accurate..

JenUK24

Jess aged 15 months
Registered
Reaction score
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!!

That is all...

They cant be all that bad. They are NBA champions afterall!!!
Although Im a little (ok well maybe a lot) disppointed, I'm a lakers fan have been since I was about 10 when I started playing basketball at school. When I went to senior school I played for our school team, we were coached by the Solent Stars. Thats the basketball team for my home town of Southampton.
My uncle was a basket ball coach for the youth Solent stars team.

I've kinda lost where nba is up to as I dont get much time to keep up with Lakers, have noticed from Sky sports news they arent doing well.

Anyhoot back to Boston. I appreciated all your posts, they've been really helpfull.

Traffic doesnt bother me. Manchester is always heaving with traffic. Hence the Lovely government (can you tell im being sarcastic) are implementing a congestion charge. I live on one of the main roads into the city so am quite used to this.
We also have the same problem with rude drivers...Taxi drivers are maniacs, bus drivers are maniacs and then you've got the what we call "boy racers," in their Ford Fiestas with blacked out windows, gastly rims, stupid lighting under the car and a sound system that can be heard miles away...WHAT IS THE POINT... Its not cool, it's not clever, It doesnt make you look like a gangster (which is what they think they look like when they get out of the car, with the hoodies and swagger when they walk) its just VERY VERY annoying! :rant:

Sorry about that...Good to have a lil moan now and again though.

THanks again for all your input.

J x
PS sorry for any spelling mistakes, trying to type quick, its getting very late and daughter just woken up. x

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We lived in Boston about the same time Poet did, and my impressions are very much the same. Here are the things I really liked about it:
  • Excellent shopping, whether you were on a student budget or old money
  • Great walking city where you can go days without setting foot in public or private transportation
  • Neighborhoods have clear identities
  • The largest intellectual population I've been around, not just students but adults reading 'serious' and challenging books at restaurants, on the subway, etc.
  • Decent public transportation, so you can enjoy a drink and count on getting home safely
  • World-class museums and libraries
  • Wonderful architecture, from downtown buildings to old apartment buildings
  • Good bookstores and plenty of 'em
  • Seafood restaurants unparalleled, even in other coastal cities
  • Excellent medical facilities are abundant, should you need them
And what I didn't like includes:
  • Traffic is a nightmare; I sold my car
  • Parking is just as bad, and you can't count on finding a space at all, even several blocks from your destination
  • The usual urban practice of pretending you don't see one another; no eye contact preserves private space
  • Everything good is crowded
  • High visibility homeless people, many mentally ill
  • Beggars, not necessarily homeless
  • New England climate isn't for everyone, and many old buildings have no AC
Still, we talk of living in the area when we retire. So far it's just talk, but we liked Boston enough that we'd consider it.

Maryn, who'll be visiting there in a couple weeks