Acronyms that will always mean one thing to you

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Mostly because of message boards, certain acronyms have become part of my automatic thinking, and when I see them in other contexts, it gets me all flustered.

For example, there is a giant POD storage unit next door, and of course, all I can think of is Print on Demand, though it means Portable on Demand storage.

DTD is the beginning of a lot of license plates around here, and that just makes me blush, because on the pregnancy board I used to frequent, that stood for "do the deed."

AW, oooobviously, means Absolute Write, even if it's some kind of telecommunications store.

What are yours?

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
There's a car in my neighborhood that has the license plate GONEPAT. I have to think of our loverly board here for that, even though the owners are New England Patriot fans-- something I won't hold against them, naturally.

:D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well the one for the Central University of Newcastle upon Tyne. Of course they had to change that...after the fliers went out and someone with a braincell noticed. oops.

or the The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society'

Ok, Ok.

MC will never more be master of ceremonies

PC is no longer a policeman :(

BIC is no long a brand of cheap pen

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I keep going to shorten Toothpaste's name to TP... and then realizing that I couldn't possibly do so.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
After reading posts on AW, I now read PA as "PublishAmerica", not Pennsylvania.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BIC is Butt In Chair, also known as actually sitting down to write.

PA is PublishAmerica to me, too, forget Pennsylvania. POD, print on demand, and we, too, have POD storage. HOL is, of course, House of Love, never Hollister. (Hi, maestro!) WIP is work in progress, though I've been taken aback momentarily by cans of REDDI-WIP. (I only wish it were 'reddi'!)

I'm sure there are more. Let me think and come back later.

Maryn, putting on her thinking cap

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
it's BUM IN CHAIR. Pffft.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
An RPG is a role playing game, not a rocket propelled grenade.

Not quite what you're looking for, but a group I used to frequent used the maybe-acronym ABEND to mean, "I'm going to be away for a while, don't worry." It either meant Absent By Enforced Net Deprivation or it meant Abnormal End, which was something computers apparently used to spit out when they had a snit fit. I'm not sure anyone ever figured out which one came first . . .

Anyway, I took German in High School. So I always read it as "Evening," as in, "Good evening, everyone, I'm going home now."

Izunya

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
LOL and PA. As so many others indicated, PA is first and foremost PublishAmerica to me, not Pennsylvania.

The area I live in is has lots of Abraham Lincoln sites and is known as Land of Lincoln, which is sometimes abbreviated as LOL. I've found myself reading newspaper articles and having to remind myself each and every time that it is not the Laugh Out Loud <whatever it is> but the Land of Lincoln <whatever it is>.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, PITA - to me - is no longer a flat, tasty bread.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in high school, one of my teacher's gave us a bonus question... it was "What does TGIF mean?" Well everyone wrote Thank Goodness It's Friday... except for one kid.. he said it meant Thomas Goronski's Index Finger. (Thomas was in our class and had a broken index finger) the teacher gave him the bonus points..

So that is why I think of Thomas Goronski's Index Finger whenever I hear TGIF.. :)

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
AB is no longer Alberta: it's Auntybug ;)

AW used to be an expression, so now I use aww...

NaNo is no longer a tiny incriment of measurement.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
One of the local schools here had an unfortunate oversight for quite a few years. The school was Fairfield Union, and their mascot was the Charging Knights. No one managed to catch it (except for the kids of course) for about thirteen-fourteen years. THEN, one football and basketball season, their crosstown rival's cheerleading squad came up with cheers designed to point out the snafu to the adults by developing a whole repertoire around those initials.

You'd be surprised at how creative those kids can get with inspiration. Anyhoo, they are no longer the Charging Knights of F.U.C.K. fame. Originally, they thought that just dropping the 'c' would fix everything.

Errrrr.....no.

So now, they're the Thundering knights or some such absurdity, and everyone's sensibilities are spared.

For me personally, I'd have to say that acronyms don't really change for me much--except that a CD is now an outdated music disc whereas when I grew up it was a minor interest-bearing investment opportunity.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite as bad, but a new high school in our district is Byron Steele. Their letter jackets and such only have an 'S'.

A test I'm working on has an Alphabet Writing section...I'm always amused when I mark down an "AW" score.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly because of message boards, certain acronyms have become part of my automatic thinking, and when I see them in other contexts, it gets me all flustered.

For example, there is a giant POD storage unit next door, and of course, all I can think of is Print on Demand, though it means Portable on Demand storage.

What are yours?
There's another popular "POD" thing, the Podcast, a "broadcast" intended to be played back on the the now-ubiquitous iPod. The iPod is such a successful brand, probably more people know what it is than know what a generic "portable music player" is or even more obscure, "portable MP3 player" is.

Having worked in electronics engineering and computers, I know lots of technical acronyms. In enginneering school, VAR was Volt-Amps Reactive, but when I got out of college there were computer sellers who sold systems with specific software packages and the sellers had some alleged expertise in that software, and THEY were called VAR's or "Value Added Retailers."

That was the early 1980's. There was a semi-joke in the late '90's, a reporter asked a technical professional what the biggest challenge of Y2K would be, who responded "the running out of all Three-Letter Acronyms." But of course, as I demonstrated, that had already been happening.

Then there's AA (that's NOT American Airlines, folks!) which is chock full of acronyms, initialisms, slogans, pithy sayings and whatnot. It was always amusing (well, for the first few dozen times, anyway) to hear some old man say "Sorry, folks, but I have PMS today..." (Piss and Moan Syndrome)

Many of the most-used and important words in AA are acronyms, some with more than one "expansion": Group Of Drunks, Good Orderly Direction, False Expectations Appearing Real, F*** Everything And Run, Face Everything And Recover, Frantic Effort to Appear Recovered, Son Ofa B**** Everything's Real,... The ISM at the end of alcoholism is "I, Self and Me."

Before I got to AA, HP was Hewlett Packard, a test-equipment-and-calculator company (that also made a big killing on laser and inkjet printers), but then it became Higher Power.

[what were surely some of George Carlin's favorite acronyms snipped...]
Ok, Ok.

MC will never more be master of ceremonies

PC is no longer a policeman :(

BIC is no long a brand of cheap pen
In the '70's BIC was also a brand of turntable (remember LP's and 45's?) and stereo speakers. They don't even MAKE stereos anymore, they only make Home Theater (spelled Theatre if it's over $5,000) Sound Systems.

PC became Personal Computer when IBM made one with that name in 1981 - it had various names before, "home computer," "microcomputer," I forget what else, but IBM finally gave us the de facto standard name for it.

PC is also Politically Correct.

In engineering a PC board is a Printed Circuit Board, often abbreviated PCB. But then PCB's are those bad, cancer-causing things in the oil used to cool utility-pole mounted transformers.

I could go on and on. Perhaps you've heard of the 12-step program for people who talk too much - On-and-on-and-on-and-on-anon.