Law and Order,

Surely, after a million episodes, it's time to hang up the hat

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Law and Order, CSI, and all the "clone" shows.

Reality TV.

Two and a Half Men. I watched it once. Not funny. Boring. The most annoying characters in the world.

ER, should have ended several years ago -- possibly soon after Dr. Greene died.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Simpsons.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
House really needs to go.

Now it just seems like a bunch of thriller writers locked in a room together and forced to create plots at gunpoint. I can't take it anymore.

Same with bones. They're both so stale and there's nothing they can do to fix it.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to think most drama / thriller series run too long. A great, innovative idea often doesn't lend itself to a long series. I loved the first season of Prison Break, but after they break out then get put into another prison just so the show can live up to its title, it's just ridiculous. A lot of shows could benefit from having a two-three year cap placed on the production schedule. But of course the networks have to milk a program for all of its profitability (not a knock, mind you, as if I was an exec I'd at least be tempted to do the same) which leads to shows overstaying their welcome.

Still, I wonder, if people were aware of a show having a "3-year-plan," would that positively or adversely affect viewership?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to think most drama / thriller series run too long. A great, innovative idea often doesn't lend itself to a long series. I loved the first season of Prison Break, but after they break out then get put into another prison just so the show can live up to its title, it's just ridiculous. A lot of shows could benefit from having a two-three year cap placed on the production schedule. But of course the networks have to milk a program for all of its profitability (not a knock, mind you, as if I was an exec I'd at least be tempted to do the same) which leads to shows overstaying their welcome.

Still, I wonder, if people were aware of a show having a "3-year-plan," would that positively or adversely affect viewership?

HBO does a decent job with this IMO.

ROME was an incredible series. Only had two seasons, the absolute perfect length for the story. Left you begging for more, but at the same time knowing that the end was fitting. Perfect.

They also let the Soprano's go at just about the right time.

The Wire, perfect length and storylines. Left me begging for more but concluded in a very satisfactory way that 'felt' right.

Mel...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
They also let the Soprano's go at just about the right time.
Debatable. If there weren't 3 years between seasons, the acclaim and buzz may have been worth it. As it was, interest lagged and never recovered.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

It didn't seem to affect the fan base of "Babylon Five." JM Strazinski (sorry if I butchered the spelling) had a specific five-year story arc in mind, and he ended it when he wanted. It doesn't happen often, that a TV producer is given the chance to write a story within the timeframe they plan on, but it worked well for what he wanted to tell.

In a way, I'm glad that Team Darlton gave us an endtime for "Lost." It means they know where they're going, and we'll get a conclusion. Hasn't affected my viewership. :)

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
All the Law % Order shows.

Buffy -- hate to say this, but the nerd trio killed it.

X-Files

Seinfeld

Alias -- 'cause after awhile it just starts to wander

7th Heaven -- not that there was much there, but when Ashlee Simpson's the most interesting thing about the show and they're stretching out the main character's heart attack storyline for the ten billionth time, it's time to hang it up. Plus that interminable Martin/Ruthie/pregnancy storyline...with Haylie Duff

Gilmore Girls.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see Friends on that list. I think they cut it at just the right time. They could have milked it for 2 or 3 more seasons.

The only thing coming to mind right now is SNL. They really need to lay it to rest. It's had it's hayday (and I am a huge SNL fan) but it is definately beyond it's prime.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing coming to mind right now is SNL. They really need to lay it to rest. It's had it's hayday (and I am a huge SNL fan) but it is definately beyond it's prime.
I agree at the moment, however every 3-5 years they reinvent the cast. The format holds nicely when they clean the slate pretty regularly.

This is the lull time between finding the next cast that really gels and has standout talent in most positions.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I agree at the moment, however every 3-5 years they reinvent the cast. The format holds nicely when they clean the slate pretty regularly.

This is the lull time between finding the next cast that really gels and has standout talent in most positions.

They haven't had a great cast like that since the Farley, Sandler, and crew cast back in the 90's.

Sure there have been standouts (like Will Ferrel), but the casts have been lacking for a LONG time now.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
They haven't had a great cast like that since the Farley, Sandler, and crew cast back in the 90's.

Sure there have been standouts (like Will Ferrel), but the casts have been lacking for a LONG time now.
If only Chris Farley had a less talented brother they could exploit!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the current SNL crop. They're not consistent, but when they hit they do a magnificent job.

And if they'd called it quits we'd have been deprived of seeing the Digital Shorts (hilarious) and MacGruber!!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

I wouldn't say that. Actually I couldn't stand Sandler. And I think Farley was okay. When they had Molly Shannon, Will Ferrell, Darrell Hammond, Ana Gasteyer, Tina Fey, et el, I think it was really funny. The current cast is not bad.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Law and Order: Criminal Intent. One of my friends calls it Law and Order: Head Tilt. For the first couple of years, it was fun to watch Vincent Donofrio do the offbeat genius thing, but after a while it became too much: "Eames...this piece of paper we found on the body...it's actually a note written in medieval French using the well known ancient technique of making invisible ink from angora goat semen."

The show has also jumped the shark by having Donofrio's character really bring the crazy. There is an almost embarrassing reality to those scenes which make me think that the man is not merely a good actor but in real life is not all that tightly packed.