Details of a murder.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
At the beginning of one of my WiPs, my MC's fiance is murdered. How much would the police tell him about the circumstances of her death? She died slowly from her wounds, and I want him to find this out so he's good and angry. I assume they wouldn't tell him outright - kind of insensitive - but what if he pressed them? Would he have more right to the information if they were married?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
How soon after the murder does he find out?
Spouses and significant others are often at the top of the suspect list--so they may even question him.
A marriage document will often get you farther than 'we were friends with benefits' though if off the bat it's know he's not guilty, a sympathetic detective could tell him more. Also if married, hubby would see the CoD after the body was released from the ME and know the extend of the damage: number of wounds, defensive wounds, need closed casket, etc.

Aragon

Registered
Reaction score
There might be questions as to certain bits of evidence, because he would be one of the first suspects. That would anger me in it of itself. The slow bit might be told to him to try to get him to talk.

If the police officer knows him, the more likely the officer would tell.

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
He wouldn't be suspended as such, but he would be urged to take leave, primarily because his fiance has just died so he's going to be a little mixed up and I wouldn't trust him with a gun. There is a name for the type of leave that people get when someone close has died, I just can't put my finger on the name. I'll edit this post if I remember. I think it may be grievance leave, though I'm not sure.

Anyway, he would definately not be involved in the case, although if he knew someone on the case (but they weren't close friends and he didn't know the fiance) then that person might stay on the case. If they did, it's possible they may accidentally mention details of the case, if he begs him to tell him.

Also, when the case goes to court he'll be allowed to go and he'll hear all the details then.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
There is a name for the type of leave that people get when someone close has died, I just can't put my finger on the name. I'll edit this post if I remember. I think it may be grievance leave, though I'm not sure.

The term you want is bereavement leave, but I'm not sure if a fiancee would qualify for that.

Also, making him a police officer wouldn't make him any less likely to be a suspect.

Last edited:

Bayley

Happiness is underrated
Registered
Reaction score
The term you want is bereavement leave, but I'm not sure if a fiancee would qualify for that.

Also, making him a police officer wouldn't make him any less likely to be a suspect.

Thank you for the term and I'm not sure myself, but if you've known someone for years, they're the love of your life and you cannot imagine life without them, then I would hope they would qualify. Also, if they are a suspect they can't work with the police force (for obvious reasons) and it would be a way of the police getting rid of him for a while.

And I forget to mention the suspect bit, but that is true, police officers are still suspects. I remember someone in the police force recently killed his wife and got arrested for it, then he got bail and commited suicide, but I digress.