WEEK ONE: RESULTS

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
The votes have been tallied (thanks, Hero Melina!), and one finalist has been eliminated. That writer is...

hapsburg

Sorry to lose you, hapsburg. I thought your entry was original and memorable.

Our top 9 finalists for Absolute Write Idol are (in alphabetical order so no one gets paranoid!):

Blue Texas
DJP
firehorse
jdkiggins
pepperlandgirl
Rhush
rhymegirl
trumancoyote
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=123781&postcount=42William Haskins

Well done, writers! See you in a minute in the new sub-forum above, where I'll be announcing this week's theme and deadline.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=133048&postcount=235

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Yeah, it's really too bad that anyone has to be eliminated. A bunch of people said when they voted that it was really tough for them to choose only one.

Hapsburg, congratulations on making it to the finals! That in itself was an incredible feat, and something of which to be very proud!

Looking forward to next week! Good luck to all who remain!

Melina

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if this will make people paranoid about voting last. In one of the other threads someone mentioned voting for Pepper because her entry was first (or rather that being the deciding thing when they couldn't decide between two).

But haps, your work is very good, no doubt!

But I didn't receive a check from you like I did from the two finalists I couldn't choose between. I guess you missed out on that memo =)

Just a reminder to the finalists -- I can be bought.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congratulations to all! And Haps...I enjoyed your piece...you were a pro among pros.

I feel I can say now who I voted for. And having read all the entries my reason is just this, that it touched me, at the time, the most. I voted for Pepperlandgirl. At another time I could have read all ten and voted for another. They were all great and it was a hard decision to make. I'm enjoying this competition and the chance to read such varied entries. Keep up the good work, contestants!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh...one more thing. I have no need to see the numbers broken down, but I was wondering if you could tell us exactly how many total votes were cast? Just curious...

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
zeprosnepsid said:
I wonder if this will make people paranoid about voting last. In one of the other threads someone mentioned voting for Pepper because her entry was first (or rather that being the deciding thing when they couldn't decide between two).
I can honestly say that where the entry fell in line had nothing to do with my decision. For the heck of it, for week two, I'll read #9 first and work my way up to #1.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, everyone.

Hapsburg...I thought your entry was excellent. I'm glad I had the chance to read it.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Haps, I'm sorry. :Hug2: Can't triple the size of the hugs, but if I could, I would.

Congratulations to other finalists. I see we have our work cut out for us this week.

Thank you to all who cast a vote my way. I didn't send checks or chocolate :) but I'm honored by your votes. :thankyou:

Joanne

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
zeprosnepsid said:

dragonjax said:
I can honestly say that where the entry fell in line had nothing to do with my decision. For the heck of it, for week two, I'll read #9 first and work my way up to #1.

Plus, some people set it up so that the last item posted is the one that appears at the top of all the posts (I do that), and others set it up vice versa. Maybe this nugget of information will alleviate a little paranoia...?

These options can be set in User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Thread Display Mode > Choose "Linear - Newest First" or "Linear - Oldest First"

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
KTC said:
I was wondering if you could tell us exactly how many total votes were cast? Just curious...

Which means I'll be bothering the heck out of the rest of the site's members to vote in upcoming rounds. We can do better than that. Let's rock the vote, good citizens of Absolute Write! ;)

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I concur! Let's really get out there and vote, people! I'd love to be a martyr and say it took me hours and hours to count the votes, but it wasn't the case.
All of you who did vote, thank you and congratulations! I'm sure the finalists appreciated your effort.

Counting on a bigger turnout for Week 2!

Melina

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
What if we (uh, you) set up a polling station at the top of the entries? All us civic-minded AV members didn't mind having to click the link for Melina's PM, and then type our choice in the subject line...but maybe making voting even easier would encourage the others to chime in.

And, how about a rep point for everyone who votes!

Just a thought.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to Melina for counting (the votes, of course) and thanks to everyone who voted. Hapsburg, sorry someone had to go, your piece really made me laugh.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Just wishing congrats to the ten for making it tough. I prefer to keep my vote secret but I will say that it came down to eliminating entries with the most "nope, wouldn't do that" or mistakes or whatever. In other words, I started from the position that they were all stories that grabbed me - hands down, every one of them. So it got to the point of determining which ONE had the FEWEST flaws, again - just in my opinion. Kind of a strange way to describe it, but in the end, that was the only way I could make a choice, since they were all so strong.

Because as a nit-picky sour grape honorable mention, of course I'm looking for all the flaws in the finalists!!! ;) (wait - I should put that in the whining thread right!? JUST KIDDING! Thanks for giving me great bedtime reading - keep it up)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hapsburg -- sorry to see you go. All the entries were good. It's only going to get tougher picking a favorite each round.

And I echo the call for votes! Let 'em know you love 'em! Congrats to the nine moving on to the next round. Good luck, and continue to wow us, folks!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I'm surprised at so few votes and a little disappointed :(

Hapsburg, great competing, man! So glad we had the chance to read your work.:Hail:

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
Jeez. 101 votes out of 1600 members. Good gollly, Miss Molly, people! 308 entries, 101 votes, do the math, where the heck are the other 197 people that entered? Sore losers? Don't make me come in here! :box:

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Tough Decision

Congratulations to all who squeaked through to week 2. :Cheers:

Condolences to Hapsburg who wrote a wonderful piece. :cry:

Competition is tough at this point and it was no small feat to make it to the top ten. Talent abounds in this group!

I was one of those who had a difficult time choosing the top one. I wish that we could vote for the top three, at least, just to ease my mind that those who deserve to be in the top three won't get voted off just b/c not enough people logged a vote. :scared:

But, alas, the rules are set. What I will definitely do is keep track of those who I feel have excelled throughout the competition so that I can give them much-deserved kudos at the end of the contest.

*ding*ding* Round Two!

:Fairydust Good luck everyone!

And happy writing!

Kim

Selina Sills

Haps!

Listen up, I have to tell you this.. It was between you and Pepperlandgirl for me. Something just pulled me a littttttle more to her... But I loved your entry. Wish I could've voted for two. Keep it up; you're awesome. I wish I could write half as well as you. Hugs!!! :Hug2:

Oh and yeah, where are the others who entered? Why aren't they voting?? That's not very nice. :Soapbox:

Hee hee. Bye for now, everyone.. Going to Corpus Christie for the weekend to play at the beach, see the town again and swim in the pools. :partyguy: I need the break; it's been a wild year so far. :crazy:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay...I'm changing my signature to rock the vote!