PDA

View Full Version : I'm a girl

Toothpaste
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
For some reason lately, more than usual, I have been mistaken for a boy, or people aren't sure so they put he/she. I really don't have a problem with this, but I thought I would set the record straight, that I am, indeed, a girl, because sometimes people get embarrassed when they realise they made a mistake.

I am a girl.

Here are my actor headshots to help prove my thesis: http://adriennekress.com/photos.html

And many more pics of me at BEA last year in my blog post entry on the subject: http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2007/06/guess-whos-back-back-again.html

Also.

I'm a girl.

Captshady
06-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Here are my actor headshots to help prove my

Where are your butt shots? :tongue

You are definitely a girl, not androgenous or ANYthing LOL

Buuuut, you DO have a dude in your avatar, and he has his shirt on. And your book's apparent MC is named Alex.

melaniehoo
06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes, but it's a famously HOT dude in her avatar. :D

Toothpaste
06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Thank you Melanie. It's Sean Bean and the reason he's in my avatar is so I can admire his beauty.

And my book's MC is called Alex, but she too is a girl.

Maybe I have to start a thread now about Alex's gender.

My butt shots are on a different website Captshady.

Haggis
06-21-2008, 08:04 PM
My butt shots are on a different website Captshady.

*waits patiently for URL*

:popcorn:

Devil Ledbetter
06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I get mistaken for a guy a lot too. Some people even call me "David."

Doesn't the heroine in your novel also get mistaken for a guy?

Cranky
06-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Let me also join the club. Funny, ain't it?

Here's the double funny part: when I ran my prose through one of those gender analyzer thingys, it told me a guy wrote it.

*checks*

Yup, still a girl. *shrug*

melaniehoo
06-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Here's the double funny part: when I ran my prose through one of those gender analyzer thingys, it told me a guy wrote it.

*checks*

Maybe it's the haircut?

(LOVE that the picture's back!!!)

KTC
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
David... hush up.

Toothpaste... it's the avatar. It screams boy. Just who do not know you assume you picked a representation, not a crush. (-;

David... more to add... I so expected to see the lead singer of Pearl Jam walking around in the hotel lobby. You look nothing like him. Nothing.

Tink
06-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Some people mistake me for the famous Tinkerbell but, really, I am just your average, everday, ordinary fairy...:D

Devil Ledbetter
06-21-2008, 08:19 PM
David... hush up.

Toothpaste... it's the avatar. It screams boy. Just who do not know you assume you picked a representation, not a crush. (-;

David... more to add... I so expected to see the lead singer of Pearl Jam walking around in the hotel lobby. You look nothing like him. Nothing.
I know. He's way purtier than I am.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/devilledbetter/edavatar55.jpg

Sean D. Schaffer
06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I have an avatar on another forum with a female fantasy creature on it. I've told the people there I'm male several times.

The resulting comments make me less than enthusiastic, let's just say. :rolleyes:

I know you're a girl though, dude. :D

Marian Perera
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm tempted to apply a Freudian analysis to the shape of a tube of toothpaste.

Toothpaste
06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Ooh ladies, maybe we should start a "we are girls" club. Though it's odd, because when I was little in the club making years, I would do everything to disassociate myself from other girls. One would offer me makeup and I'd say, "No!" like they had offered me drugs!

Now though I like being a girl. It's fun. Except in the acting world. In the acting world I wish I was a boy.

Devil - you are right, she does! Wow, talk about writing about what I know . . .

Tink - you . . . you mean . . . you're not?

Queen - Freud away. Could be very interesting. Then again it could just be because a lot of people mistake my last name for a brand of toothpaste . . .

John Paton
06-22-2008, 12:40 AM
did you think maybe your parents wanted a boy ?? Adrienne could be confused with Adrian ;)

I find it hard to believe anyone could ever confuse you with a guy. An actor and a writer - a winning combination for one talented gal

soleary
06-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I used to live in the West Village in NYC and there they might mistake you for a male but that would only be if they thought you were a drag queen :).

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 12:46 AM
I am also a girl!!! :)

Whenever I make a post that makes my gender obvious, I invariably have someone rep me with, "Oh! Whoops! I thought you were a guy!"

I'm not bothered by it, though. I love confounding traditional gender stereotypes. :)

Oh, but if you saw me in person? Yeah, you'd know 100% I was a girl.

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 12:47 AM
PS I just looked at Toothpaste's photos. Wow. Pretty lady.

DL Hegel
06-22-2008, 12:51 AM

Whenever I make a post that makes my gender obvious, I invariably have someone rep me with, "Oh! Whoops! I thought you were a guy!"

I'm not bothered by it, though. I love confounding traditional gender stereotypes. :)

and i thought it was just me:)

HeronW
06-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Nah, DLHegel just has stripes on her butt she's cleverly trying to hide under all that hair...

When in doubt I check 'personal profile' before transgendering AWers :}

Toothpaste
06-22-2008, 12:58 AM

It is interesting actually how people can make assumptions on the internet. I wonder what it means. Is it simply because my avatar is a guy, and my forum name is asexual? Or is there something in the writing as well. Cranky mentioned that when she put her writing through that gender thingy it told her she was a guy. Same thing happened to me too.

I wonder what makes writing more masculine than feminine?

(Also I'm not bothered by people mistaking me for a guy, I've always considered myself a "person" first, "girl" second. So no worries, in case anyone is feeling guilty! Just thought it was interesting and worth a mention!)

DL Hegel
06-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Nah, DLHegel just has stripes on her butt she's cleverly trying to hide under all that hair...

When in doubt I check 'personal profile' before transgendering AWers :}
Leave it to my favorite bird to come up with the common sense approach:D

Shweta
06-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Just to clear up another bit of confusion -- everyone who's calling me Schweta, I'm not German :D

melaniehoo
06-22-2008, 01:05 AM
PS I just looked at Toothpaste's photos. Wow. Pretty lady.

Yes she is. :)

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 01:07 AM
It is interesting actually how people can make assumptions on the internet. I wonder what it means. Is it simply because my avatar is a guy, and my forum name is asexual? Or is there something in the writing as well. Cranky mentioned that when she put her writing through that gender thingy it told her she was a guy. Same thing happened to me too.

I wonder what makes writing more masculine than feminine?

At least in my case, I think it has to do, yes, with the avatar and somewhat asexual forum name (although I've always considered "Jo" to be the female and "Joe" the male...)-- but I think it also has to do with my personality and writing style. I tend to be very direct, straightforward, and I don't try to soften my words to make my opinion sound nicer. If I want to say something, I say it. I think this comes off as more "male" because in general, females tend to be the sex with more awareness of others' feelings. (No offense guys, not saying you don't care - it's just that women tend to be hyper-alert more than dudes.)

I also suck at joining in all the silly stuff around here. You'll notice I never come up in "Who is the ____est AWer" threads or similar stuff. It's not that I'm not friendly, it's just that I have a hard time relating unless there's a clear objective in a conversation. I need structure. But I think people tend to assume that more of a guy thing.

MattW
06-22-2008, 01:36 AM
It's Sean Bean and the reason he's in my avatar is so I can admire his beauty.I suppose straight men are not allowed to admire SB in any way?

Not even a little?

My butt shots are on a different website:e2brows:

Joe270
06-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I have thought many AWers were men who turned out to be women.

Devil was one. Cranky another. There have been many. I think I erred with JoNight as well.

Bird of Prey, too, but she hits like a guy in P&CE, so I feel justified.

I never thought Toothpaste was a guy, though.

Still, it seems to me a good thing that gender isn't out in front here. It says something, for me at least, of the equality of the sexes, intellectually speaking.

Medievalist
06-22-2008, 02:00 AM
People think I'm a guy all the damn time, online. I've had my name in my sig since day 1.

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm finding it amusing how many other women get this. I have to say that for the most part, I knew most of you were women. I think I might have been up in the air about Cranky for a while. Although I confess I thought Toothpaste was a middle-aged woman, not a sexy young model. :)

Chumplet
06-22-2008, 02:25 AM
I always knew Toothpaste was a girl, but for a while I thought Ledbetter was a dude (sorry, Devil) because of the guy pics. Let's just say I was flattered by her lovely comments in one way, and then a different way. I still heart Devil!

I heart you too, Adrienne.

KTC
06-22-2008, 02:28 AM
I always knew Toothpaste was a girl, but for a while I thought Ledbetter was a dude (sorry, Devil) because of the guy pics. Let's just say I was flattered by her lovely comments in one way, and then a different way. I still heart Devil!

I heart you too, Adrienne.

It's D-A-V-I-D, you dweeb!

Polenth
06-22-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm an androgynous person with a gender-neutral name. It isn't a surprise that people sometimes think I'm male. I thought it was funny during the dialogue contest thing. Nathan called me she, but a number of the voters still thought I was a guy. There's no helping some people.

I can't tell other people apart, but as long as it's in their profile, I get by. If it's not in their profile, they only have themselves to blame.

Chumplet
06-22-2008, 03:59 AM
It's D-A-V-I-D, you dweeb!

Isn't David the guy with the lobsters?

I heart you too, Kevin.

Joe270
06-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Damn it, KTC, now I'm really confused.

Who the hell is what and what the hell is Devil?

stormie
06-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Nah, I always knew you were a girl. I dunno, I just don't think a guy would choose "toothpaste." (Love that username!)

Jo
06-22-2008, 04:34 AM
At least in my case, I think it has to do, yes, with the avatar and somewhat asexual forum name (although I've always considered "Jo" to be the female and "Joe" the male...)-- but I think it also has to do with my personality and writing style. I tend to be very direct, straightforward, and I don't try to soften my words to make my opinion sound nicer. If I want to say something, I say it. I think this comes off as more "male" because in general, females tend to be the sex with more awareness of others' feelings. (No offense guys, not saying you don't care - it's just that women tend to be hyper-alert more than dudes.)

I also suck at joining in all the silly stuff around here. You'll notice I never come up in "Who is the ____est AWer" threads or similar stuff. It's not that I'm not friendly, it's just that I have a hard time relating unless there's a clear objective in a conversation. I need structure. But I think people tend to assume that more of a guy thing.

No-one's confuddled my gender yet. It must be just you, JoN. :tongue

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 06:08 AM
No-one's confuddled my gender yet. It must be just you, JoN. :tongue

Really? Dang. Haha.

Pup
06-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Got a funny comment once when I met someone for the first time in real life, after he knew me only from posts on another forum where my real headshot is my avatar. So he already knew my age and sex (male, by the way). He stared at me and said, "I thought you'd be taller."

Huh? Was I using the wrong font size or something? :) I can see how one might have a preconceived idea about sex and age from someone's writing style. But how on earth can you tell height from a post?

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Got a funny comment once when I met someone for the first time in real life, after he knew me only from posts on another forum where my real headshot is my avatar. So he already knew my age and sex (male, by the way). He stared at me and said, "I thought you'd be taller."

Huh? Was I using the wrong font size or something? :) I can see how one might have a preconceived idea about sex and age from someone's writing style. But how on earth can you tell height from a post?

You got lucky. The one time (back in college) I met up with a dude I knew online, what did he say? "Your boobs are bigger than I expected."

Sometimes I wish I could travel back in time and slap him.

Cranky
06-22-2008, 06:45 AM
You got lucky. The one time (back in college) I met up with a dude I knew online, what did he say? "Your boobs are bigger than I expected."

Sometimes I wish I could travel back in time and slap him.

:eek:

Wowza. That's some nerve, that is.

Jo
06-22-2008, 06:51 AM

*checks*

But, but, but... we all know you're a sausage stasher. You've flaunted your snag a few times. :e2moon:

Cranky
06-22-2008, 06:53 AM
But, but, but... we all know you're a sausage stasher. You've flaunted your snag a few times. :e2moon:

*sigh*

My secret's out. I just tired of trying to maintain my harem. All those demanding women..they wore me out!

:roll:

Fraulein
06-22-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm here to join the girl club.

ErylRavenwell
06-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Nice headshots. You remind me of a Norwegian girl I once knew...'cept she's blonder. Both pretty anyway. ;)

MelodyO
06-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Nobody ever mistakes me for a guy, but I do get a few jokes about how my user name sounds like a hooker/stripper. To think I used my real name so it would sound more professional. :Shrug:

Michael Parks
06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Yup, the avatar + name made me think male.

But now, guess what?

You're a grrrrrrlll!!!! :D

Joe270
06-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, now this begs the question:

Why the heck hasn't anyone ever thought I was a woman?

The avatar (which gets changed quite frequently by giddy mods for some reason, once into a Hello Kitty), the macho, sculpted muscle vocabulary, the manly and strong sentence structure, or the vulnerable yet sexual alluring noun usage?

Or was it that no woman could possibly be as obnoxiously annoying?

Adam Israel
06-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I am not a piece of furniture. If you set your drink on me, it will either be returned a) empty or b) filled with something you don't want to drink.

:partyguy:

Shweta
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
People think I'm a guy all the damn time, online. I've had my name in my sig since day 1.

Well you know, "Lisa" is a very masculine name. :Huh:

He stared at me and said, "I thought you'd be taller."
Huh? Was I using the wrong font size or something? :)

Sean D. Schaffer
06-22-2008, 05:18 PM

On Day 1, God created the heavens and the ... oh, that's a different Day 1. :D

The first day I saw your username, I saw your old avatar with what looked like a young boy in it from, naturally, the Middle Ages. At the time, I was one of those unfortunate souls who figured everybody used an avatar the same as their own gender (never mind most of my avatars had a female character of some sort). I automatically assumed that you were a man, until I saw your first name in your signature line.

But even after that, I had trouble imagining you being a woman, because of the avatar. :( Only after having met you in person, and putting a face to both the name and the username, did I finally 'get it.'

But I did, by gum. :) Only took me -- what? -- about two years? ;)

ChaosTitan
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I am not a piece of furniture. If you set your drink on me, it will either be returned a) empty or b) filled with something you don't want to drink.

:ROFL:

I wanna join the "I'm a girl club," too. I've used variations of "ChaosTitan" as a username for years. Not to confuse people, mind you, it just happens like that. :D My real name doesn't help, either, since I've known both men and women with it.

melaniehoo
06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Is it wrong that I feel left out of the club? ;)

escritora
06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I sometimes get mistaken for a male (when my avatar isn't my pic). Someone said that my username reminds them of a scrotum. Scrotum...totally male.

Toothpaste
06-22-2008, 08:25 PM
lol! Glad to see I have excellent company, our club is going to totally rock!

TrainofThought
06-22-2008, 08:26 PM

*checks*

Yup, still a girl. *shrug*The gender analyzer says I write like a guy too. :D

I've mistaken others as men, but I knew you were a woman with a sharp tongue... er... that doesn't sound good coming from me, but you know what I mean.

*No mistake in identity here*

Cranky
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
The gender analyzer says I write like a guy too. :D

I've mistaken others as men, but I knew you were a woman with a sharp tongue... er... that doesn't sound good coming from me, but you know what I mean.

*high fives ToT*

Wait. That wasn't very girly of me, was it? :ROFL: And yeah, I'm a sharp tongued shrew, don't be afraid to say so.

I'd say the same things in real life I do on here, but something gets lost. A friendly expression on the face, plus tone tends to take a lot of the sting out, I think. Which is good, because I usually don't mean to be harsh at all...

Medievalist
06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
The first day I saw your username, I saw your old avatar with what looked like a young boy in it from, naturally, the Middle Ages.

Roger Carlson told me that the "old" avatar didn't "match" his impressions of me on meeting me (Roger if I'm misquoting you, I apologize in advance and invite correction).

The "old" avatar was from a Roman fresco from the wall of a house in Pompei; it's a young woman (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/roman_women_01.shtml) :D

melaniehoo
06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Roger Carlson told me that the "old" avatar didn't "match" his impressions of me on meeting me (Roger if I'm misquoting you, I apologize in advance and invite correction).

The "old" avatar was from a Roman fresco from the wall of a house in Pompei; it's a young woman (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/roman_women_01.shtml) :D

It always makes me think of the image from Adobe Illustrator. ;) Yes, I know they're the same, but that's where I see it the most.

And clearly female.

laurel29
06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
I never thought Toothpaste was a man, but at first I thought Train of Thought was one. Sorry :(.

TrainofThought
06-22-2008, 08:47 PM
*high fives ToT*

Wait. That wasn't very girly of me, was it? :ROFL: And yeah, I'm a sharp tongued shrew, don't be afraid to say so.

I'd say the same things in real life I do on here, but something gets lost. A friendly expression on the face, plus tone tends to take a lot of the sting out, I think. Which is good, because I usually don't mean to be harsh at all...You've never come across as harsh to me.

Too many times I come across harsh when it wasn't my intent. I've had big construction guys come into the bar I use to tend bar at, and after getting to know me said I was intimidating. :roll: Me! 5' 4". And people at my present job are afraid of me. :Shrug: So, I am surprised no one thought I was a guy... then again, maybe my past avatars gave it away. :)

ETA:
I never thought Toothpaste was a man, but at first I thought Train of Thought was one. Sorry .No biggie. I stand corrected.

Cranky
06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
You've never come across as harsh to me.

Too many times I come across harsh when it wasn't my intent. I've had big construction guys come into the bar I use to tend bar at, and after getting to know me said I was intimidating. :roll: Me! 5' 4". And people at my present job are afraid of me. :Shrug: So, I am surprised no one thought I was a guy... then again, maybe my past avatars gave it away. :)

ETA: No biggie. I stand corrected.

Intimidating? Wow. I thought your avatars were cool, personally. Very risque. *waggles eyebrows* LOL!

Funny how differently people perceive us from the way we perceive ourselves...

TrainofThought
06-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Intimidating? Wow. I thought your avatars were cool, personally. Very risque. *waggles eyebrows* LOL!

Funny how differently people perceive us from the way we perceive ourselves...Funny and true.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2470679&postcount=6

badducky
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I remain unconvinced of Haggis' gender, either way.

Also, I'm really okay with that.

If there's a club where all the smokin' hot ladies are joining, I >want to join that club<!

I'm willing to shave my beard and wear a kilt. (Someone will have to let me borrow a kilt.)

writerterri
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah, but you're all still dorks! :D

Medievalist
06-22-2008, 10:46 PM

The avatar (which gets changed quite frequently by giddy mods for some reason, once into a Hello Kitty), the macho, sculpted muscle vocabulary, the manly and strong sentence structure, or the vulnerable yet sexual alluring noun usage?

I do know people think I'm a guy online in part because I'm specific, use strong verbs, and assert authority :D

Comes from years of teaching online, I think...

JoNightshade
06-22-2008, 11:21 PM
So all of this begs the question: unless someone does something that pegs them as obviously FEMALE, is our automatic assumption that all people are MALE? Is this the default position?

Cranky
06-22-2008, 11:23 PM
So all of this begs the question: unless someone does something that pegs them as obviously FEMALE, is our automatic assumption that all people are MALE? Is this the default position?

Sure seems that way, doesn't it?

badducky
06-22-2008, 11:23 PM
In real life, I get called "Jim" and "Jeff" a lot. Names my bosses have called me (which I gave up trying to correct after months of being mis-named and corecting them) include "Gerald" and "Jim".

It isn't the same as being mistaken for a girl, but I wish it wasn't by people who have known me for 1+ years.

:6

KTC
06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
The gender analyzer says I write like a guy too. :D

I tried that gender analyzer thingy about 47 times... each time the bastard thingy said I was a female. hmph!

MrWrite
06-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Let's see some pics then Jo! :D

Mr Flibble
06-23-2008, 01:30 AM

I've been guilty of that -- mainly because my first forum experiences were on gaming forums where at least 95% of posters were male. They tended to think I was a guy too.

I've made a couple of boo boos here, but I never thought you were a guy Jo. I don't know why -- it just seemed obvious.

I tried that gender analyzer thingy about 47 times... each time the bastard thingy said I was a female. hmph!

I come up male every time.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-23-2008, 02:22 AM

Well, I'll be a son-of-a-gun! I honestly thought, all that time, it was a young man. :e2smack:

I've learned something new and cool today. Right on. :)

JoNightshade
06-23-2008, 02:43 AM
Let's see some pics then Jo! :D

Haha, you can see one if you click the myspace link in my sig. That's as far as I'm going. :tongue

Silver King
06-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Haha, you can see one if you click the myspace link in my sig. That's as far as I'm going. :tongue
Ha! You made me look. (VERY nice photo, by the way.)

Sometimes I get mistaken for a fish, then people realize I'm not that slimy. :)

alleycat
06-23-2008, 03:17 AM
People often assume I'm a woman since I usually have a cat avatar (except for the time I used a photo of my butt as an avatar . . . I was asked never to do that again ;-)

stormie
06-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Sometimes I get mistaken for a fish, then people realize I'm not that slimy. :)
And some people think I'm the latest hurricane. :D

Ziljon
06-23-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm a potato and onion pie!

Medievalist
06-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Online, yes, pretty much.

Shweta
06-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Online, yes, pretty much.
I've sort of started assuming that AWers are female unless proven otherwise. Unless they're acting in a way that pegs them as male to me.

I'm willing to shave my beard and wear a kilt. (Someone will have to let me borrow a kilt.)
You can borrow mine. Totally worth it to see a duck in a kilt :D

Project nachonaco
06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
They removed my 'I AM A GIRL' title. :(

Or did I do that?

Hm.

Or did I dream it?

Sean D. Schaffer
06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I just hope nobody mistakes me for a typewriter. I'm always talking about them, and about getting another one.

Then again, with all the confusion around here, I shouldn't be too insulted ... or surprised ... if someone did make that mistake. ;)

DamaNegra
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
I've only been mistaken for a guy once that I know of.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-23-2008, 10:02 AM

I remember that! What really gets me, is the poster INSISTED you were a guy even after you flat-out told him you were a girl.

People can be so hilarious sometimes! :ROFL:

Shweta
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I just hope nobody mistakes me for a typewriter. I'm always talking about them, and about getting another one.

Then again, with all the confusion around here, I shouldn't be too insulted ... or surprised ... if someone did make that mistake. ;)

You mean you're actually one of them newfangled computer things?

Sean D. Schaffer
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
You mean you're actually one of them newfangled computer things?

:e2smack:

Shweta
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
:e2smack:

:tongue

Apparently Sean and I are actually smiley-faces.

quickWit
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM

That's what III said. :)

nerds
06-23-2008, 08:40 PM

. . . the macho, sculpted muscle vocabulary, the manly and strong sentence structure, or the vulnerable yet sexual alluring noun usage? . . .

:D

It's the scent of your Old Spice wafting from the monitor.

:)

Plus the fact that you said you nearly bought this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/fortunehunters/blogimages/easyeating/hitormiss-burger.jpg

at the grocery store. Only a guy would ever do that.

:D

Jersey Chick
06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
I often get mistaken for a tiger. But no, I am not a tiger. I'm a girl. A chick to be exact. :D

Though, I've been accused of thinking like a guy on occasion.... hmm...

Shwebb
06-23-2008, 09:18 PM
I must write effeminately. Because I rarely get confused for a female, although I always thought my nickname is rather androgynous. It does happen on occasion, though, especially in the chat room. I think it's because I'm a chan op in the AW chat room (that's what mods are called in chat, I guess) and I'm betting that people are used to seeing guys doing that more often than females.

However, like my Shwiamese twinnie Shweta, I have often been mistaken for a German. Folks like to type my name as "Schwebb."

To be honest, if I really knew I was going to actually, um, participate in a forum instead of joining just so I could lurk a bit better, I might have chosen a different one.

But I can't do that now. Shwebb is me. :D

DamaNegra
06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I remember that! What really gets me, is the poster INSISTED you were a guy even after you flat-out told him you were a girl.

Maybe he knew something I didn't? :Shrug:

Sean D. Schaffer
06-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Maybe he knew something I didn't? :Shrug:

Sure he did. Just ask the guy; he'll tell you so. :rolleyes:

Or was the guy a gal?

Maybe a tiger, or a chick?

Perhaps a typewriter -- no, wait a minute! Now I'm confused. Crud! Where's a V8 when you need one? :e2smack:

DL Hegel
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Sure he did. Just ask the guy; he'll tell you so. :rolleyes:

Or was the guy a gal?

Maybe a tiger, or a chick?

Perhaps a typewriter -- no, wait a minute! Now I'm confused. Crud! Where's a V8 when you need one? :e2smack:tiger gals are the best:)

James81
06-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Would it be entirely inappropriate for me to say you have a "strong jaw"?

DL Hegel
06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Would it be entirely inappropriate for me to say you have a "strong jaw"?

not if you are an antelope:D

Stew21
06-24-2008, 01:16 AM
When I first came to AW the name Stew gave people the idea I was a guy. So I started using an avatar of me and my kids and put my first name in my sig to help them out.
I chose the screen name for its ambiguity and then got tired of correcting the ambiguity. Image that. :)

Stew, it's a girl name

KTC
06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Damn it, KTC, now I'm really confused.

Who the hell is what and what the hell is Devil?

I'm like Pigpen... only, instead of a cloud of dirt, it's a cloud of confusion (although, had you been paying attention for the last year you would have noticed that I've been calling DevilLedbetter David).

KTC
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
When I first came to AW the name Stew gave people the idea I was a guy. So I started using an avatar of me and my kids and put my first name in my sig to help them out.
I chose the screen name for its ambiguity and then got tired of correcting the ambiguity. Image that. :)

Stew, it's a girl name

It didn't speak of gender to me. It spoke to my empty tummy.

samgail
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I talk sports, drink whisky, smoke, swear like a sailor and my name is Sam-go figure people are surprised to find out it is short for Samantha.

DL Hegel
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
I talk sports, drink whisky, smoke, swear like a sailor and my name is Sam-go figure people are surprised to find out it is short for Samantha. Bad girl;)

MrWrite
06-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Bad girls are more fun ;) At least that's what I think!

StephanieFox
06-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Not only am I a girl, but my avitar is also a girl. Everyone calls her 'he' but that's just because she is a burly girlie.

Hillary
06-25-2008, 02:41 AM
I've been mistaken in chat rooms for a guy. I think it's because I'm snarky and I curse with gusto. Which is, apparently, male.

I've sort of started assuming that AWers are female unless proven otherwise. Unless they're acting in a way that pegs them as male to me.

I have a tendency to do that too. Except that I often ignore the proof otherwise and continue to assume decidedly male members of the board are female. I'm good like that.

I have not once been mistaken for a dude on here, and I'm 99% sure it's because my name is Hillary, I write in purpley-blue, and I use tildes to offset lyrics in my signature. How much more chick-like can it get?

DL Hegel
06-25-2008, 03:21 AM
i second that:)

rhymegirl
06-25-2008, 04:12 AM
All you need to do is have the word "girl" somewhere in your username.

Shweta
06-25-2008, 04:29 AM
All you need to do is have the word "girl" somewhere in your username.

So what if I change my username to boygirl? Would boygirl and girlboy get different results? Like blue-green and green-blue crayola crayons are different?

I have not once been mistaken for a dude on here, and I'm 99% sure it's because my name is Hillary, I write in purpley-blue, and I use tildes to offset lyrics in my signature. How much more chick-like can it get?

You missed the pretty stained-glass avatar. That's pretty girly too :)

Hillary
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
You missed the pretty stained-glass avatar. That's pretty girly too :)

Damn. And here I was thinking that was super butch. I fail at being male.

Kthrok
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM

i second that:)

I will third that!! :hooray:

Matera the Mad
07-19-2008, 05:11 AM
I was reminded of this thread after installing the newest version of IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/).

I've been pretty active in the IrfanView forums, taking part in discussions and problem-solving, and doing a bit of beta testing. So . . . I took a poke at the info button of my favorite IV plugin, and read in the credits:

Matera, who, from the other side of the world, let me make remote debugging via a VPN over a dial-up connection on his computer to track a bug; the attempt failed, but it has been quite epic.
It was indeed epic.

oswann
07-19-2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.worst-jobs.com/images/ugly-man-transvestite-fat-bitch-men-women.jpg

I hear you sister. People look at me funny too.

Os.

Matera the Mad
07-20-2008, 03:54 AM
Mind you, I'm not really complaining, it's just pretty funny. Hard to tell a person's sex over the Web, even on a hot debugging blind date :D

I'm still flattered to be mentioned in the IrfanView Paint plugin. It's going all over the world, my wee moment of hidden fame.

Clair Dickson
07-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Ooo-- I can play in this thread.

More than once I've been mistaken for a girl because of my name... which, okay, my spelling is the masculine form. But I still throw out all mail address to Mr. Clair Dickson.

And when I was growing up, my mum kept my hair cut short (little thing about me not wanting to brush it... :P) and on more than one occaision I was referred to as a little boy. =( Drove me nuts.

And (and!) there were a couple times at my retail job where people would mistake me for a "sir" instead of a "ma'am" in spite of the fact that my hair is always long (occaisionally reaching my waist). Maybe it was the XXL shirts I got in order to be more androgynous after learning that the then-store director was a boob-talker-- of the five people in my dept, he ONLY knew me, and I just happen to be the only girl. Coincidence my tailfeathers.

What gets me more irritated is when people assume that because I have long hair and boobies that I don't know about cars/home theatres/ computers/ something. Or that I can't kick their a$$ for stereotyping. ;-)

She_wulf
07-20-2008, 05:13 AM
Where is that gender analyzer thingy?

Oh, and can I play?

I'm a girl

I think the tip off would be: "She_wulf"

But my other nomen onlinus is artcase. You wouldn't believe how many penis enlargement emails I get.

Thank you kind spammer, but my penis is large enough. How is yours?

Amy

Matera the Mad
07-20-2008, 05:45 AM
I think this is the one (http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.html), but you can goog it and come up with more.

My writing has a masculine flavor :D

She_wulf
07-20-2008, 06:24 AM
I think this is the one (http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.html), but you can goog it and come up with more.

My writing has a masculine flavor :D

Hey thanks!!!

I'm a male(according to them). Who'd've thunk it?

*G*

SPMiller
07-20-2008, 08:56 AM
There's also this (http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php) one.

Simply writing a female first-person narrator will make just about anybody score overwhelmingly female. That said, it still identifies most of my male-narrated short stories as having been written by a female.

But I'm not a girl!

Mr Flibble
07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
But I'm not a girl!

It invariably tells me I'm a guy. Wanna play swapsies?

Nakhlasmoke
07-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Heh, that gender thing tells me I'm a guy when I write guys, and a girl when I write girls, and indeterminate when I write crazy people. Hmmm.

I don't think anyone's mistaken me for a guy, but I'll admit I thought Toothpaste and ToT were male.

Anyway, when I get tarted up I just look like a trannie with huge breasticles so I fail at being a chick in real life, which is worse than failing on the internet..

SpookyWriter
07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
...when I get tarted up ...:roll:

SPMiller
07-20-2008, 08:47 PM
It invariably tells me I'm a guy. Wanna play swapsies?I'm always up for a game.

CBeasy
07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
I know this has already been said but not only are you a girl, but you are hot! sorry but I couldn't resist

SpookyWriter
07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I know this has already been said but not only are you a girl, but you are hot! sorry but I couldn't resistRichard is a girl?

Seaclusion
07-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Richard is a girl?

Don't drag me into this conversation, you guys are the ones with gender dysmorphia.

Richard

Mr Flibble
07-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm always up for a game.

Strip tiddlywinks?

Tink
07-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Strip tiddlywinks?Strip what?

Mr Flibble
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
You know, tiddlywinks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiddlywinks). *nudge nudge, wink wink, SAY NO MORE!!!*

Tink
07-20-2008, 09:58 PM
You know, tiddlywinks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiddlywinks). *nudge nudge, wink wink, SAY NO MORE!!!*
Awh-ha... ':Thumbs::Ssh:'

Tink
07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
I am going back to bed ya. I am too sick to even think right now, I just thought that the AW would be a nice place to help me take my mind off of it...but unfortunately it isn't helping.

Ya all have a great Sunday. I am going away so I willnot spread my germs...Ha, ha.

I know, poor attempt at humor, see--its time ot go.

SPMiller
07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
You know, tiddlywinks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiddlywinks). *nudge nudge, wink wink, SAY NO MORE!!!*Yeah, um, sounds like fun ;)

SpookyWriter
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Don't drag me into this conversation, you guys are the ones with gender dysmorphia.

RichardRichard is in drag. neerie neerie...

Mr Flibble
07-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah, um, sounds like fun ;)

it is when you factor in the baby oil and try and get your wink in the other person's belly button

SpookyWriter
07-20-2008, 10:51 PM
it is when you factor in the baby oil and try and get your wink in the other person's belly buttonDo I want to know where this is going? ;)

Mr Flibble
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
the same way all my op posts go :)

SpookyWriter
07-20-2008, 10:54 PM
the same way all my op posts go :)Postal freaks.

Mr Flibble
07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
More baby-oil-covered-hot-men freak.

SPMiller
07-21-2008, 12:28 AM
it is when you factor in the baby oil and try and get your wink in the other person's belly buttonWell you've caught my attention.

Mr Flibble
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
You and me, behind the bike sheds in five minutes. I've got the winks, you bring the squidger. First one to squop wins :)

Seaclusion
07-21-2008, 12:49 AM
You and me, behind the bike sheds in five minutes. I've got the winks, you bring the squidger. First one to squop wins :)

The only thing I know in Australian is Fosters. That means beer. I don't understand that entire post.

Richard

Mr Flibble
07-21-2008, 12:52 AM
That's not Oz, that's Brit! Tiddlywinks is serious business.

Seaclusion
07-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry for putting you in the wrong hemisphere, but I still don't understand the terminology.

Richard

Mr Flibble
07-21-2008, 12:56 AM
A wink is the small bit of plastic that you 'flip' using the squidger. When you cover the opponents wink with yours, you squop it.

Clear as mud now ain't it?

And I want to cover SP's wink and squop him. Rawr.

Seaclusion
07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
A wink is the small bit of plastic that you 'flip' using the squidger. When you cover the opponents wink with yours, you squop it.

Clear as mud now ain't it?

And I want to cover SP's wink and squop him. Rawr.

Now that you've explained it that way, I am fearful for SP.

Richard

SPMiller
07-21-2008, 01:16 AM
You and me, behind the bike sheds in five minutes. I've got the winks, you bring the squidger. First one to squop wins :)Oh, don't worry, I'll bring the squidger. And I'll make sure you squop first.

Seaclusion
07-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Oh, don't worry, I'll bring the squidger. And I'll make sure you squop first.

Isn't it better when you squop together?

Richard

SPMiller
07-21-2008, 01:19 AM
Isn't it better when you squop together?

RichardOf course, but I'll let her squop a few times before that.

Mr Flibble
07-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Most generous of you my dear SP.

Now get behind them sheds and lets see what you're made of! I'll try my best not to break you, k?

SPMiller
07-21-2008, 01:28 AM
All right, guys. If I'm not back within an hour, pour one out in my memory.

darrtwish
07-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Well, on the positive side, at least it's better than having creepy pedophiles stalk you everywhere you go...I can't take the public transit system anymore, nor walk anywhere because of that. My dad has to drive me every where more than five blocks. If I leave my neighbourhood, I will get stalked by creepy pedophiles...so I guess it's better than that. ;)

SpookyWriter
07-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Well, on the positive side, at least it's better than having creepy pedophiles stalk you everywhere you go...I can't take the public transit system anymore, nor walk anywhere because of that. My dad has to drive me every where more than five blocks. If I leave my neighbourhood, I will get stalked by creepy pedophiles...so I guess it's better than that. ;)Better than a...

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/moonpie.jpg

Seaclusion
07-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Of course, but I'll let her squop a few times before that.

Multiple squops are always the best.

Richard

Silver King
07-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Well, on the positive side, at least it's better than having creepy pedophiles stalk you everywhere you go...I can't take the public transit system anymore, nor walk anywhere because of that. My dad has to drive me every where more than five blocks. If I leave my neighbourhood, I will get stalked by creepy pedophiles...so I guess it's better than that. ;)
Really? They stalk you every place you go? That is creepy. Just out of curiosity, how can you tell, exactly, that you're being stalked by pedophiles when you're out and about? Is it something they say, or the way they're dressed, or perhaps how they look at you that arouses your suspicions? I'd really like to know how you're capable of deducing the intent of strangers on the street with such accuracy.

SPMiller
07-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Squop squop squop.

She's worried they want to squop her.

Matera the Mad
07-21-2008, 07:00 AM
I think Quidditch is lots more fun & interesting than tiddlywinks :tongue

Seaclusion
07-21-2008, 07:03 AM
I'd pay to see a quidditch match.

Richard

SPMiller
07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
What about a quidditch match in which squopping is allowed?

That'd be a sight.

Mr Flibble
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Strip quidditch? Interesting idea.

Shadow_Ferret
07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I missed this thread until now.

I knew Toothpaste wasn't a girl. Not sure why, but I keep forgetting who she really is. Meaning, I know Ms. Kress from myspace and don't always associate the two.

I used to think Devil was a guy.

Didn't know until I just read this thread that Bird of Prey was a girl.

I always forget ChaosTitan is female.

And Cranky, I think I just learned wasn't a guy, too.

For some reason I keep thinking SPMiller is a girl.

And I"m still not sure what Silver King is.