I'm a girl

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
For some reason lately, more than usual, I have been mistaken for a boy, or people aren't sure so they put he/she. I really don't have a problem with this, but I thought I would set the record straight, that I am, indeed, a girl, because sometimes people get embarrassed when they realise they made a mistake.

I am a girl.

Here are my actor headshots to help prove my thesis: http://adriennekress.com/photos.html

And many more pics of me at BEA last year in my blog post entry on the subject: http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2007/06/guess-whos-back-back-again.html

Also.

I'm a girl.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Here are my actor headshots to help prove my

Where are your butt shots? :tongue

You are definitely a girl, not androgenous or ANYthing LOL

Buuuut, you DO have a dude in your avatar, and he has his shirt on. And your book's apparent MC is named Alex.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Thank you Melanie. It's Sean Bean and the reason he's in my avatar is so I can admire his beauty.

And my book's MC is called Alex, but she too is a girl.

Maybe I have to start a thread now about Alex's gender.

My butt shots are on a different website Captshady.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get mistaken for a guy a lot too. Some people even call me "David."

Doesn't the heroine in your novel also get mistaken for a guy?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me also join the club. Funny, ain't it?

Here's the double funny part: when I ran my prose through one of those gender analyzer thingys, it told me a guy wrote it.

*checks*

Yup, still a girl. *shrug*

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
David... hush up.

Toothpaste... it's the avatar. It screams boy. Just who do not know you assume you picked a representation, not a crush. (-;

David... more to add... I so expected to see the lead singer of Pearl Jam walking around in the hotel lobby. You look nothing like him. Nothing.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
Some people mistake me for the famous Tinkerbell but, really, I am just your average, everday, ordinary fairy...:D

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
David... hush up.

Toothpaste... it's the avatar. It screams boy. Just who do not know you assume you picked a representation, not a crush. (-;

David... more to add... I so expected to see the lead singer of Pearl Jam walking around in the hotel lobby. You look nothing like him. Nothing.
I know. He's way purtier than I am.

edavatar55.jpg

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I have an avatar on another forum with a female fantasy creature on it. I've told the people there I'm male several times.

The resulting comments make me less than enthusiastic, let's just say. :rolleyes:

I know you're a girl though, dude. :D

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ooh ladies, maybe we should start a "we are girls" club. Though it's odd, because when I was little in the club making years, I would do everything to disassociate myself from other girls. One would offer me makeup and I'd say, "No!" like they had offered me drugs!

Now though I like being a girl. It's fun. Except in the acting world. In the acting world I wish I was a boy.

Devil - you are right, she does! Wow, talk about writing about what I know . . .

Tink - you . . . you mean . . . you're not?

Queen - Freud away. Could be very interesting. Then again it could just be because a lot of people mistake my last name for a brand of toothpaste . . .

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
did you think maybe your parents wanted a boy ?? Adrienne could be confused with Adrian ;)

I find it hard to believe anyone could ever confuse you with a guy. An actor and a writer - a winning combination for one talented gal

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I used to live in the West Village in NYC and there they might mistake you for a male but that would only be if they thought you were a drag queen :).

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I am also a girl!!! :)

Whenever I make a post that makes my gender obvious, I invariably have someone rep me with, "Oh! Whoops! I thought you were a guy!"

I'm not bothered by it, though. I love confounding traditional gender stereotypes. :)

Oh, but if you saw me in person? Yeah, you'd know 100% I was a girl.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
I am also a girl!!! :)

Whenever I make a post that makes my gender obvious, I invariably have someone rep me with, "Oh! Whoops! I thought you were a guy!"

I'm not bothered by it, though. I love confounding traditional gender stereotypes. :)

Oh, but if you saw me in person? Yeah, you'd know 100% I was a girl.
and i thought it was just me:)

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, DLHegel just has stripes on her butt she's cleverly trying to hide under all that hair...

When in doubt I check 'personal profile' before transgendering AWers :}

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

It is interesting actually how people can make assumptions on the internet. I wonder what it means. Is it simply because my avatar is a guy, and my forum name is asexual? Or is there something in the writing as well. Cranky mentioned that when she put her writing through that gender thingy it told her she was a guy. Same thing happened to me too.

I wonder what makes writing more masculine than feminine?

(Also I'm not bothered by people mistaking me for a guy, I've always considered myself a "person" first, "girl" second. So no worries, in case anyone is feeling guilty! Just thought it was interesting and worth a mention!)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Just to clear up another bit of confusion -- everyone who's calling me Schweta, I'm not German :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It is interesting actually how people can make assumptions on the internet. I wonder what it means. Is it simply because my avatar is a guy, and my forum name is asexual? Or is there something in the writing as well. Cranky mentioned that when she put her writing through that gender thingy it told her she was a guy. Same thing happened to me too.

I wonder what makes writing more masculine than feminine?

At least in my case, I think it has to do, yes, with the avatar and somewhat asexual forum name (although I've always considered "Jo" to be the female and "Joe" the male...)-- but I think it also has to do with my personality and writing style. I tend to be very direct, straightforward, and I don't try to soften my words to make my opinion sound nicer. If I want to say something, I say it. I think this comes off as more "male" because in general, females tend to be the sex with more awareness of others' feelings. (No offense guys, not saying you don't care - it's just that women tend to be hyper-alert more than dudes.)

I also suck at joining in all the silly stuff around here. You'll notice I never come up in "Who is the ____est AWer" threads or similar stuff. It's not that I'm not friendly, it's just that I have a hard time relating unless there's a clear objective in a conversation. I need structure. But I think people tend to assume that more of a guy thing.