The most internalized and polarizing political topics are definitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

cursedsillycause

working on it...
Registered
Reaction score
Abortion and the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict.

Hands down. Everything else can be discussed civilly, but these two items turn into blood baths. Literally.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Global warming.

Prayer in schools.

Intelligent design.

cursedsillycause

working on it...
Registered
Reaction score
Depends upon the emotional maturity of the one you may be dfiscussing topics with.

I think it has more to do with how attached one is to the issue. If you're the type of Protestant that believes in the rapture--that 2/3 of the Jewish population will get wiped out eventually if 'God's' land isn't 'divided'--then of course you don't want a broker like the US giving some filthy Maronite Catholic and Muslim Arabs, of all people, the land they "percieve" to have been banished from. But to a Pali who was uprooted from their home in 1948, like my mom's friend, the attachment is just as internalized, but framed differently.

As for abortion, to hardline reactionaries, you either value a zygote, or don't. To pro-abortionists, you either value the ability of a woman to decide if she wants to go through with a pregnancy, or you don't. Are you attached to the cell or the choice? And maybe you know someone who almost had an abortion and is so happy with their choice...or maybe you know someone who went through with an abortion, and is equally content with their choice.

Both topics are tough to discuss. You really have to walk on egg shells to not offend anyone. I think only the moderates, with little or no attachment to the subject can discuss them civily.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
actually, passionate people on both (and all) sides of these debates and many others have been discussing them civilly (for the most part) here for years.

my problem, philosophically, is that i tend to get a little heated every time i impregnate a palestinian and a jew in one of my "middle east threesomes", and only one of them carrying her baby to term and the other aborting.

this is usually further complicated by them wanting to marry each other.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
my problem, philosophically, is that i tend to get a little heated every time i impregnate a palestinian and a jew in one of my "middle east threesomes", and only one of them carrying her baby to term and the other aborting.

If I had a nickel for every time that happened to me...

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
actually, passionate people on both (and all) sides of these debates and many others have been discussing them civilly (for the most part) here for years.

Which one is the illegal immigrant?

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
To pro-abortionists, you either value the ability of a woman to decide if she wants to go through with a pregnancy, or you don't.

For the record, no one is really "pro-abortion". The appropriate term is pro-CHOICE. As in, we support ALL choices women make when it comes to reproduction, whether it's keeping the baby and putting it up for adoption, keeping the baby and raising it, terminating the pregnancy, or using precautions to prevent the pregnancy in the first place.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
For the record, no one is really "pro-abortion". The appropriate term is pro-CHOICE. As in, we support ALL choices women make when it comes to reproduction, whether it's keeping the baby and putting it up for adoption, keeping the baby and raising it, terminating the pregnancy, or using precautions to prevent the pregnancy in the first place.

Thank you.

I was going to clarify that it is pro-choice but you did it first, quite well.

cursedsillycause

working on it...
Registered
Reaction score

I know this. I called pro-lifers "hardline reactionaries" so I figured it was appropriate to call people who are pro-choice "pro-abortionists." It was meant to be funny.

Btw, I am pro-choice, too. Sheesh. Way to nitpick.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

my problem, philosophically, is that i tend to get a little heated every time i impregnate a palestinian and a jew in one of my "middle east threesomes", and only one of them carrying her baby to term and the other aborting. . . .

Did you finally get custody of the little tyke?

Oh yeah. And were they ever able to remove that 6-6-6 thing on his forehead?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i get him every other weekend. the sixes have been transformed into a shamrock through the magic of tattooing.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. I'm sure his little Irish eyes are smiling.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score

I wonder what the pro/anti numbers would be if men could get pregnant.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Hands down. Everything else can be discussed civilly, but these two items turn into blood baths. Literally.

Gay marriage.

GayBash+Brazil.jpg
hate.jpg

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Even the terms are "up for debate" in such heated discussions (but bear in mind this is Only A Theory...). I recall some abortion-issue-related thing many years ago with some group angry with the news media for calling them one thing when they wanted to be called something else. Thus instead of "pro abortion" and "anti choice" we have "pro choice" and "pro life." The media have settled on calling each group what it wants to be called, even though the name may inflame other groups.
As for abortion, to hardline reactionaries, you either value a zygote, or don't. To pro-abortionists, you either value the ability of a woman to decide if she wants to go through with a pregnancy, or you don't. Are you attached to the cell or the choice? And maybe you know someone who almost had an abortion and is so happy with their choice...or maybe you know someone who went through with an abortion, and is equally content with their choice.
:popcorn:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Another thing that could get you into trouble in debates is using outdated terminology.

Or changing that terminology because logic and observable conditions indicate your initial hypothesis is completely and utterly flawed.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Or changing that terminology because logic and observable conditions indicate your initial hypothesis is completely and utterly flawed.

Quite the contrary. "Climate change" is a direct effect of "global warming." The new term simply more accurately depicts the outward effects on the globe at large as being beyond simple "warming." Most people failed to understand the very simple concept that the massive melting of the arctic ice cap due to "warming" has much more complicated consequences on our oceans and ecosystems in general. Essentially, global warming is the cause. Climate change is the effect.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Okay. Time for a thread derail:

"Greenhouse Effect" was a term coined back in the late 1960's/early 1970's to describe the increase of CO2 in Earth's atmosphere. This buildup causes TWO things to happen:

FIRST) The increased CO2 causes a shifting of the complex mixture of which types of solar rays do and do not get permitted to penetrate all the way down to ground level -- this is a "solar interaction problem."

And then:

SECOND) The overall climate of the planet subsequently gets a tad bit warmer --this is a "temperature problem."

However, it has recently been realized that after 40 years of the terms "Greenhouse Effect" and "Global Warming" being used, most laymen kept getting hung up on the word "warming" and the word "greenhouse," and were mistakenly only fosusing on the problem of the heat (temperature problem) and ignoring the problem of CO2 buildup (solar interaction problem). But the truth is that BOTH problems are really really bad, and when left unchecked they eventually rammify each other exponentially.

So by changing the NAME of the entire issue from "global warming" to "climate change," the new term more properly includes the "solar interaction problem" of the gaseous shift, and it also very wisely umbrella's the OTHER (and still-not-yet-fully-realized-by-most-laymen) temperature phenomenon in which IF the escalating global temperatures are allowed to continue unchecked, the buildup --while causing an initial heating phenomenon-- can eventually trigger a series of atmospheric and geologic events that can lead to the very sudden onset of a full blown planet wide ice age. (Not as "sudden" as we saw in the movie The Day After Tomorrow, but more like over a 10 or 15 year period.)

The preference to change the name wasn't a form of back-peddling or back-to-the-drawing-board rethinking of the math. The math is fine as-is. Instead, the name change was an effort to refine the language to more fully and more precisely encapsulate ALLLLLL of the eco-system-altering consequences of runaway CO2 buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.