recipe deja vu

Will the lemon tomato jelly be fit for human consumption?

• Of course, it will be fabulous (and I can't wait to try it myself)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What are you crazy? Jello & tomatos, gross.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Are you channeling my grandmother?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I just heard a new/old recipe on CBC (reportedly popular in the 60s).

I've bought the stuff to make it but am not sure if it's going to be disgusting or one of those really strange combinations that are fabulous.

Here's the recipe:

1 package lemon Jello (Jelly here in Canada)
1 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes

Before I make it, let's take a poll on how you think it's going to go.....

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I am in the "What? Are you crazy?" camp. Funny how with the thousands of ingredients and recipes out there, people become nostalgic for the worst ones.Oh and if you throw some diced up canned shrimp and some green onions you will have the recipe for a great aunt's aspic which she proudly brought to every Xmas dinner and which I stealthily hid under some mashed potatoes before I slid all of it's shining, shivery glory straight into the garbage.

If you are interested this site is a scream - "Lilek's Gallery of Regrettable Food" http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer berry jams, or marmalades but you can 'jelly' anything :} I also adore chutney--does that count as a jam/jelly thingy?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
If you used those two ingredients and a bunch more to build a tomato aspic (puree the tomatoes first), maybe you could get away with it.

Here's one method:
http://www.slashfood.com/2006/01/31/retro-recipe-tomato-aspic-ring/

But just mixing the Jello with tomato chunks--nah.

Our family always does a Thanksgiving salad with strawberry or any red Jello, fresh orange and pineapple bits, chopped peeled apples, cooked sweetened cranberries, walnuts, minced celery and orange zest.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Anything suspended in Jello gives me the heebie-jeebies.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, it's good but not great. Since I didn't have a recipe, I used 1 cup of hot water and then the juice/tomatoes from a regular size can (16 oz??).

The combination of sweet and tart is good. The texture is very nice, I served it with mashed potatoes and a chicken cutlet for dinner last night.

Not a complete failure but not a "too good to be true" combination.

Judy

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Does Bella like Jell-o?

Bella's middle name is Hoover. I've never owned a dog who will eat anything and everything she comes across. She plucked a Q-Tip out of my bathroom waste bin and was happily chewing away on it yesterday. She also eats butterflies, lemongrass, cardboard, a rather expensive pillow from my living room sofa, tomatoes, and bird poop. But she'll never discover if she likes Jell-o. Not in this house.

But thank you for asking. :D

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bella's middle name is Hoover. I've never owned a dog who will eat anything and everything she comes across. :D

One of 3dogs doggies eats Q-tips too. She also loves cooked broccoli and butter. If you are lucky she won't discover the tp roll (a combination of fun and eating).

Judy

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
You used canned tomatoes? Ouch. I would have gone for some local tomatoes, preferably something close (support your local food, right?) and found something that was just a touch over ripe. concasse them and let them "confit" in the hot jello water. The lemon and tomato are not bad ideas. . . if you like jello in the first place.

Also, this is not something I would serve as a side dish, but rather a palate cleanser between courses.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
sweet Tomato preserves 1:1 by weight sugar and tomatoes, with a cinnamon stick and a sliced lemon (including the peel) per quart cooked down to jam consistency was one good childhood memory. It was great on toast in the morning. Nobody unfamiliar with it was ever able to guess it was tomato. They all thought it was some different variety of strawberry.