Latest Newsweek Poll - Obama Leads by 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.newsweek.com/id/142465

As has been pointed out before, polls at this stage of the election don't necessarily mean much. But since people like to keep track of them, the latest Newsweek poll shows a big bounce for Obama, giving him a 51-36 lead over McCain.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The RealClearPolitics site, linked by Haskins, is by far the best source of polling info I know of on the net. Way thorough and straightforward. Plus a very well-designed site. It was the source of the Democratic delegate count info I was posting during the primaries. Newsweek's numbers do indeed look anomalous. Obama's generally been posting about a 4%-5% polling average margin over McCain ever since the issue with Clinton was settled.

Now, if in a few days some of the other polls show a similar uptick, then they become of interest. Meantime, I'll regard the Newsweek numbers as an anomaly.

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
How do you suppose the country would react were Obama to win the popular vote, but McCain were to capture the electoral vote and thus the presidency -- not a far-fetched possibility by any means.

In 2000, people were simply bemused. Would it be any different if it happens again?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It would depend to some extent on the margin of the popular vote, and certainly on any potential voting anomalies, such as we witnessed in 2000 in Florida. But if Obama should win the popular vote fairly large, and McCain should eke out a 1-vote electoral margin the way Bush did in 2000, I venture we'd be in for some real public anger, much more vigorous than in 2000. Not to mention what such a thing would do to our already low popularity abroad. It would hamstring any McCain Presidency in pretty severe ways, at least at the beginning, when we could least afford it. I really wouldn't want to see something like that. Let's really hope that doesn't happen.

caw

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
How do you suppose the country would react were Obama to win the popular vote, but McCain were to capture the electoral vote and thus the presidency -- not a far-fetched possibility by any means.

In 2000, people were simply bemused. Would it be any different if it happens again?

I'm still angry about 2000. I'd be...angry beyond belief if it happened again. As I've been saying, the electoral college is outdated and has got to go.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I don't take polls too seriously. It's too easy for pollsters to manipulate the results. Still, I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Obama truly is more popular than McCain if there existed some less-fudge-able way of measuring such a thing.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

I wasn't bemused nor were many other people.

With the current situations Americans are facing - high gas prices, soaring inflation, extreme weather events, and such - if a debacle like 2000 occurs again, I think people will be much less complacent and far more ready to rabble rouse.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
if a debacle like 2000 occurs again, I think people will be much less complacent and far more ready to rabble rouse.

r1883463487.jpg

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
interesting tidbit about this poll:

Democrats (including Democrats in the media) are unhappy the presidential race is within five points, so they're eager to find wider polling margins than that. Yahoo! readers saw this headline at the top of the news on Saturday morning: "Obama widens lead over McCain by 15 points in latest poll."

It was Reuters reporting on a Newsweek poll.

As the reader should suspect, the poll questioned more Democrats than Republicans: 231 Republicans to 324 Democrats, plus 307 independents.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2008/06/21/yahoo-hypes-newsweek-poll-15-point-obama-lead

i would say mccain did pretty damn well considering there were 100 fewer republicans polled than democrats.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
That can't right... the media is trying to keep Obama down, he's an underdog and an outsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.