PDA

View Full Version : Beta Reader request...

tshanerogers
06-21-2008, 03:53 AM
Hey gang,

I'm a newbie to the forum and as such have absolutely no right to ask for favors, but desperate times call for...well, you get the idea.

Here's the situation: I've written a thriller, currently approx. 80,000 words. A couple days after penning the two most important words of all ("The End"), I promptly fired off a few query letters to agents, assuming I'd have plenty time to polish the manuscript while I collected rejection slips and/or my queries lounged in the slush pile.

Oops. To date, three agents from reputable outfits have requested sample chapters, and one wants the entire manuscript.

I realize my whining over this fortuitous occurance may raise some hackles, but please understand, I am fully aware that the situation I find myself in is a product of my own poor planning and will most likely end badly. Rest assured: the karma gods will be appeased.

Still, I'm not going down without a fight. Obviously I can't stall on sending the entire manuscript (so there's one likely casualty of my stupidity right off the bat), but I've whipped the first couple chapters into what I feel is presentable shape. If I'm lucky, sending those to the agents that requested samples should buy me some time to work on the rest.

I'm hoping someone will agree to give a good portion of the manuscript a read-through and provide some basic feedback. You could read until you got bored, for instance, and then let me know where that happened and why. Edits and/or specific suggestions would be optional.

Once again, I realize I'm asking a lot here, but I'd be more than happy to return the favor after the inevitable rejections leave me with an excess of free time...

-Shane

Matera the Mad
06-21-2008, 07:33 AM
It sounds to me like you should be handing out advice in the query letter forum :D

Hope you get some bites here. I can only wave howdy and holler welcome until I finish what's on my plate (and my eyes are always bigger than my stomach).

GJB
06-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Shane,

See PM. g.