PDA

View Full Version : Meal ideas for the lactose intolerant

Adam Israel
06-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Let's try this again.*

Usually I can pop a couple Lactaid (http://www.lactaid.com/) before I eat, but recently it hasn't been as effective as I'd like and now I'm officially taking a week off of dairy** to get my system back in balance.

I love cheese. Blue, cheddar, swiss, you name it. I never met a cheese I didn't like. But my body has decided to stage a revolt against me. :rant:

My better half usually does the cooking and she's a bit at a loss for what to cook now. We both love cheese and love pots of pasta and melted cheesy gooey goodness.

The good:

Cheese! Well, I wish.
Pasta
Rice
Meat - Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork
Potato
Lactaid Milk
Tomato-based sauces
???The Bad:

Cheese :cry:
Butter
Tofu***
Cream
Chocolate :flag:
What other basic ingredients are non-dairy, not Bad™ and yummy?

Recipes, casseroles, food mash-ups and virtual chocolates accepted and appreciated!

* I hate it when I accidentally trigger the back button and lose my post.
** We do buy/use Lactaid milk, so that's a viable ingredient
*** Sorry Tofu lovers, it's just not our thing

MidnightMuse
06-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Lactose intolerance is NOT the end of life ! I've been completely unable to so much as glance at dairy for over 20 years, and they've made huge strides in soy substitutes.

Soy ice cream, soy milk, soy CHOCOLATE milk - now they make some soy yogurts that are to DIE for, along with soy whipped cream (the kind you squirt out from the can) and just recently soy PUDDING !

Soy cheese has come a long, long way from even 5 years ago, when it didn't melt. Now it's fantastic, melts perfectly, and tastes absolutely normal.

I used Lactaid for years, but you overcome that and it no longer works - so embrace the SOY bean and enjoy life! :D Oh, and you can eat any Kosher Parve foods, they're completely lactose free.

I have a great recipe for creamy potato soup, completly lactose free, if you're interested.

zenwriter
06-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Rice and almond milks (and other dairy-free products) are also a good substitute, I find.

shawkins
06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
This was pretty good (got it off of epicurious):

1/2 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
3 garlic cloves
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 pounds assorted fresh wild mushrooms (such as chanterelles, morels, boletes, portobellos, crimini, oyster and stemmed shiitakes), large mushrooms quartered, medium mushrooms halved
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Additional fresh Italian parsley

Preparation
Finely chop 1/2 cup parsley with 1 garlic clove; set parsley mixture aside. Finely chop remaining 2 garlic cloves. Whisk chopped garlic, 4 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend. Add mushrooms and toss to coat.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add mushroom mixture and saut
 until mushrooms are brown and just tender, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Mix in parsley mixture and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to bowl. Garnish with additional fresh parsley and serve.

kikazaru
06-21-2008, 05:58 AM
I often make a "Cream of Broccoli Soup" that has no cream whatsoever. Since I usually cook by feel I can't give you precise amounts.

1 big potato peeled and chopped
broccoli head - stems peeled and chopped, florets removed and chopped (setting aside aprox 1/2 cup of the florets)
chicken stock maybe 6-8 cups (start out with the lesser amount)
garlic 2 cloves
onion (1/2 a medium diced)
1 carrot peeled and diced fine
1/2 red pepper diced fine
tarragon - 1/2 tsp dried or more depending on your taste.
salt and pepper.

Saute onion and garlic til soft in a sm amount of oil. Add aprox 6 cups of stock, the potato and the broccoli. Bring to boil and then put lid on and simmer on low til very soft - adding the tarragon the last 10 minutes or so. With a hand immersion blender or your fav pureeing instrument, puree til smooth (this is where you can add more stock if you wish). If you are a purist you can pass this thru a strainer but I don't. Return to heat and add the reserved finely chopped florets, the carrots and the red pepper, adjust seasoning and cook for a few minutes more. This is surprisingly creamy and quite lo cal.

If you wish to thicken or make savoury dishes creamy without the cream, you could also try adding boxed instant mashed potatoes. Check for lactose content though.

kikazaru
06-21-2008, 06:01 AM
If you are craving ice cream, you could try freezing a ripe banana, and whirl it in the blender with a dash of vanilla, nutmeg and soy milk.

Voila a banana milkshake.

L M Ashton
06-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Out of curiousity, are you sure it's a lactose intolerance and not an allergy to another milk component? Have you had it checked out? (I've never had a lactose problem myself, but have, in the past, been allergic to other milk components...)

L M Ashton
06-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Oh, hey, you could also try coconut milk in at least some recipes as a substitute for animal milk. I've used coconut milk in a pasta sauce and it was quite good, but of course, you can't make it exactly the same way or necessarily with exactly the same ingredients.

I'd definitely make a pudding from scratch with coconut milk instead, and that would be great. Same with ice cream. But the other thing is that a lot of curries from all over South Asia are coconut milk based, so it really does go well with a lot of different ingredients. :)

threedogpeople
06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Tai Fried Rice

Bring 2 cups of salted water to boil. Add 1 cup of Jasmine or long grain white rice. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and let cook for 15 min. until barely tender (don't over cook & don't peek). Remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid and fluff with a fork or wooden spatula.

Prep:
Rough dice 1 medium yellow onion, set aside.
Dice 2 cloves of garlic, set aside.
Drain and dice a jar of fire roasted red sweet red peppers (6 +/- ounces), set aside.

In a large skillet or wok, brown 1 (plus or minus) lb. of lean beef, ground turkey or chicken with the onion. When the onion is almost done, add the garlic & sweet peppers. Continue to cook until everything is tender.

Add garlic salt and cayenne pepper to taste, 1 T of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of roasted sesame oil and 2 T of Fish Sauce. Stir then gently add cooked rice. Make a small well in the mixture & add two raw eggs, scramble lightly. Let them cook a bit then fold them into the rice.