Costco?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Okay Americans. Tell me about Costco.

Is it really good? Is it worth shopping at? Or is it a big deal over nothing?

There's one just about to open up in Melbourne, (not that I shop in Melbourne, mind you) and it seems bizarre to me that you can buy your meat and your jewellery in the same place!

Is there a minimum that you have to buy? Is it good quality? Will it be full of money-hungry people trying to get as much as they can for as little as they can?

What's the story?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like Aldi on steroids. Do we really need another one of these? What about the little guys?

JJ

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
We have them in Canada too. We had membership, but found it wasn't worth it. We'd go for two items and come out with $200 worth of stuff... every time. I guess it depends on how you use your membership. The dark side is alive and well and living in the Costco aisles.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many people here like Costco, and swear they can get great deals there. I don't really hear anything negative about the stores. Still, it might have the best deal on a particular item, or it might not. Here in the US there's also Sam's Club and Best Buys, which are somewhat similar . . . not to mention giant Wal-Marts.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah... we have giant WalMarts too. I find that Costco was better maybe 10 years ago. Now places like WalMart can blow anybody out of the water.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The super stores (warehouse clubs) - Costco, Sam's Club are good if you want to buy a case of canned peas. If you want to buy a single can of canned peas, you won't find it there.

Costco is just big tables of stuff (books included, at Sam's Club - clothes included). I'd never go in there with a shopping list because I don't think I'd find what I was looking for (I rarely go there anyway). Puma

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The one thing I remember is a vidalia onion salad dressing... best in the world. But you had to buy 2 bottles and each bottle would last you about 2 years. Yes... big big bulk purchases.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The super stores (warehouse clubs) - Costco, Sam's Club are good if you want to buy a case of canned peas. If you want to buy a single can of canned peas, you won't find it there.
What, you don't need the 24-pack of pork chops? Or the 55 gallon drum of tomato paste?

I find the whole "membership store" concept a bit annoying. It's such a marketing gimmick. The idea is if you pay to join, then you'll continue to shop there rather than looking anywhere else.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a large family and lots of money they are great. Like others have said, they sell in bulk and you always walk out with a bunch of stuff. If I had the family and the money I would like their stuff. Usually they carry top of the line stuff. Here they also have cheaper gas stations. A lot of times if you find a good item you have to buy it at that time because it may not be there next week.

My two cents.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I find the whole "membership store" concept a bit annoying. It's such a marketing gimmick. The idea is if you pay to join, then you'll continue to shop there rather than looking anywhere else.

That was always a problem I had with it too. My wife vetoed my argument, though.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Oh no, you mean you have to sign up and be a member? I hate that!

I did see something on our news report that said you could get toilet paper for some ridiculously low price, but you had to buy 7 packets or something!

Hmmm, not looking so good!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh no, you mean you have to sign up and be a member? I hate that!

I did see something on our news report that said you could get toilet paper for some ridiculously low price, but you had to buy 7 packets or something!

Hmmm, not looking so good!

Membership was $40 the last time we had it... I think it's gone up. You have to get your little picture taken and have a membership card. And only the card holder can pay at the till.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was always a problem I had with it too. My wife vetoed my argument, though.
Remember when Sam's Club first started? People was actually proud that they could get a Sam's Club membership, and would offer to take their less fortunate friends there.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Membership was $40 the last time we had it... I think it's gone up. You have to get your little picture taken and have a membership card. And only the card holder can pay at the till.
They're probably laughing their heads off at the corporate office. "We treat people like we're the DMV . . . and they like it!"

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
EXACTLY! Communist pricks.

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
Costco's okay for certain things. If you like to buy in bulk, then it's worth it, and here where I live at least, the fresh meat and sea food is really, really good. But if you don't have the cash to spend up front, then it's not worth it. And unless you have a huge family, the fresh fruits and veggies are no good b/c you'll never eat it all before it goes bad.

We only use Costco for a few things - the milk is cheaper (and still only comes in a gallon), we buy sparkling water for my husband (spoiled boy), and I get my photos developed there. We just don't have enough money to spend $200 on meat, even if it does last for months.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I had a job handing out food samples at a Costco a few years back.
Neat job, overall, giving me lots of time to write during lulls.
One lousy thing, though, was that the store scrimped on heating.
It was winter at the time so I was freezing, even with a coat and hat on.
Would've of worn gloves, too, but that would have made it difficult to spread the jam.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My parents and friends love Costco. I don't really shop there -- I have no needs to buy things in bulk, etc. My parents would buy everything in bulk (toilet paper, cooking oil, soap, etc.), mostly household goods. They also bought an HDTV there for $900 -- that's an outstanding price.

So it depends on what and how you shop. If you're single-item shopper like me, then it's really not worth it. But if you have a big family and/or you have specific things you need that Costco offers cheap alternatives or in bulk, etc. it may not worth the membership.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
They sell more than just bulk food. You can also find great deals on clothes, books, electronics, and other non-perishable merchandise. I don't use Costco, but a friend of mine is a manager there. If nothing else, they seem like a great company to work for.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Like others have said- it is good if you need to make large purchases or have a large family- I was watching that real life program about the family who have one set of twins and one set of sextuplets. They shop at Sam's club once a month and spend over a grand there- for families like that places like Costco and Sams club are worth the price of admission.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
The Costco here is okay - my mom and I split a membership (she literally lives right around the corner from me). They have the best deals on Vitamin water - which I buy by the case. And batteries - 600 batteries for $4.95 - can't possibly top that (okay - it wasn't 600 batteries, but something like 36 or 60 - but the price was great). I also have a can of coffee that will probably last me until my 7 year old leaves for college.

However, the drawbacks - the place is always a zoo, they don't take coupons other than their own, and they don't always carry the brands I use (and I'm picky about certain things, other things - not so much)

I go there maybe 6 times a year, so it wouldn't be worth it to have a membership on my own. Not yet, anyway.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
We shop at Cosco and for us it's definitely worth it. Their prices on frozen foods are unbeatable, provided you are willing to buy 8-10 pounds of frozen chicken breasts, 10-12 pounds of 1/4-pound sirloin burgers, double packs of family-size frozen lasagna, etc.

They are also great for buying presents for birthdays, Christmas, etc., provided you buy throughout the year. Their merchandise changes regularly--often what you bought last month won't be there this month.

It is difficult to come out without having spent $200-400, so we only go every couple of months. The also have very good prices on office supplies such as paper and printer cartridges, provided they have the ones you need; their selection can be limited.

Clothes are another good deal. I can buy brand-name dress shirts for $10-14 that even Wal-Mart sells for $19. Same with slacks and jeans.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
My pup gets his pigs ear and chicken strips treats at Costco. He gets an ear in the am and a strip at night for dessert.

I get swim suits there and socks, no, I don't wear sock to the beach!! Let's see, a new beach chair, last year. New glasses every 2 years, way worth it.

Fresh meats and chicken are excellent and can be cooked and or frozen and used later.

So, it really depends on how you shop and what your needs are.