What do you wear to conferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
The one I'm going to says business casual. T-shirt and jeans okay or what?
I'm not really sure because at my office it's just casual. We have no dress code.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Writers conferences? The ones I've been to were pretty laid back. A few people dressed in biz casual, but most just wore jeans, shorts, t-shirts--basically Jimmy Buffett's dress code...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I wore khakis and a collared shirt... it was considered business casual too... We, the organizers, decided we were not going to wear jeans... but I'm pretty sure I spotted jeans. We didn't throw anybody out, though.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
this is an agents and editors conference.... but it's also texas in the summer. so i doubt a lot of people will be too dressed up.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I'm not really sure because at my office it's just casual. We have no dress code.

In what capacity are you going to this conference? As an agent or editor? Or as a writer on the make looking for an agent or editor? If you're going as a writer, I'd suggest dressing respectably (shirt with a collar, pressed if appropriate, and some good khaki or equivalent pants, pressed if appropriate, and some good shoes (loafers will do)). Remember, if you're there to find an agent or publisher, you are essentially in "job interview" mode, so an important aspect of acting the part is dressing the part.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I wear a skirt with a nice top, or a dress, and heels... and I always always bring a cardigan just in case the hotel or convention center is cold. It usually is.

Mirrorkisses, I noticed from your profile that we're about the same age. When I go to conferences, I'm usually one of the youngest people there. I used to try to dress "older" because of that, but after a while I decided I was going to own my 20somethingness and dress accordingly. I don't wear a suit. (Some people do.) I try to wear something that stands out a little bit but that isn't overly flashy or distracting in any way (no low necklines or anything like that). Last time I wore a vintage-looking blue polka-dot dress, dark red heels, and I carried a red and blue tote bag. (Big bag: very important. You need somewhere to put all the folders, brochures, free magazines, and other stuff you'll pick up.)

The conference coordinators and the visiting editors and authors were at about the same level of dressiness as I was, so I felt comfortable about what I'd chosen to wear.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably NOT wear my cutoff jean shorts and T-shirt that says "Beer Drinkers Get More Head."

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I would probably NOT wear my cutoff jean shorts and T-shirt that says "Beer Drinkers Get More Head."

Crap.

Thing is I wear the same everywhere ( except possibly weddings and funerals) Jeans, t-shirt and leather jacket.

At least I'd stand out?

Seriously, I feel naked without my leather.

I suppose I'll have to dress up. *cries*

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

I knew you were somewhat wise, but this is extremely sage advice. You just moved up a notch.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Business casual means buttoned shirts and slacks/khakis for men, blouse, dress, or slacks for women. Men can wear sports jackets. No T-shirts, jeans, sneakers, or sandals.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably go with something like a dress or a skirt and fitted shirt if it says "business casual." Or summery pants, maybe a dark colored linen. No jeans. How about something:

like this

or this?

Along those lines (not necessarily those in particular.) Banana Republic does business casual well.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Also remember this isn't a business meeting, but rather you are an "artist". Of course keep the rules of business casual in mind, but dress how you as an author would like to sell yourself, your image. I am so with Satori. Whenever I go to these things I like to look nice and dress for my age (in my 20s too). So I'm not going to wear a suit or anything. Cute dresses, that sort of thing. However I would recommend comfy footwear. You will be on your feet a lot!

And don't forget to make some business cards! (I love making business cards, I usually make a new one for each conference . . .but I'm weird)

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I was a volunteer at the agent pitch room, and I wore jeans and a nice shirt. Comfortable shoes, too, since I was walking around a lot (I went around the room three times every fifteen minutes all day long). Most of the people who came through were dressed reasonably nice for casual--no cartoon t-shirts or sweats. Nothing sloppy. I wouldn't say it was business casual, so much as a higher level of casual. Sometimes when people say casual, they think flip flops, shorts, and tank tops (though last year, we did have an agent who wore shorts!).

It was funny, too, because I had to keep the gate crashers out of the pitch room--and I kept mistaking the agents for writers!

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I was at a conference in NY and everyone dressed up quite a bit, except the editors, who were in jeans. I just feel more confident when I'm dressed up a little. And I wore my highest heels, which brought me up to about 5'1"

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
To me, business casual equals casual slacks (think khakis or the equivalent), a button-down shirt, and loafers. Business casual is an intermediate step between jeans and what you'd wear to a formal job interview for a white collar job.

While, as others have indicated, you do not want to dress in something that you, as an individual, are not comfortable in, you also want to convey a professional image. In some circumstances, jeans can be considered business casual, but only in the right setting, worn by the right person, and combined with the proper shirt and shoes. In a business casual setting, a jeans/t-shirt/tennis shoes combination is a definite no.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
For men, jeans would work with sports jackets and button-down shirts. For women, I'm not sure if jeans would work -- it depends on the person and the combination, I suppose.

Definitely no sandals or sneakers, though. Yes, wear something that suits yourself and shows your personality, but a conference is a "business meeting" especially when there are editors and agents present. Be presentable and professional-looking.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
A couple years ago I began collecting comfortable black knit dresses that could easily be dressed up with jewelry and heels or down with sandals and a casual bag. I use these for all kinds of occasions, but they work well for conferences too. It's easy to look pulled together and polished without being overdressed, and feeling comfy helps put me at ease.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
For men, jeans would work with sports jackets and button-down shirts. For women, I'm not sure if jeans would work -- it depends on the person and the combination, I suppose.

Depends on the jeans too. Dark trouser jeans are dressier than typical jeans and could fit into a "sharp casual" look for women. My favorite sharp casual look is a simple top, trouser jeans, flats, and a scarf (yes, I love scarves).

Status
Not open for further replies.