Twenty Wishes

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read the novel Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber?

**********NO SPOILERS OF ANY KIND, PLEASE!************

I don't own a TV, but I was watching a clip from CNN about the author and she just seemed like a super nice lady and the idea of this novel struck me. I think I'd like to check it out - preferably at the library! But, I wanted to know if anyone's read it yet and if they liked it or disliked it. Again, please don't give too much away!

During her interview, she mentioned a website that had to do with making a wish and one wish will be granted, up to $10,000. The site is actually quite nice. Here it is. http://www.setyourwishfree.com/

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
Really? What doesn't seem legit to you?
(I am notoriously naive)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
My bullshit sensor is flashing
I would agree if Debbie Macomber were an unknown author, or a famous author known to do flakey things on-line. But she is a very well known author with New York Times best-sellers to her name. She doesn't have to pull stunts like this. And I have never heard of her doing anything flakey on-line. Just to give you an idea of the number of books she has published:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Macomber

Also, CBumpkin has over one hundred posts to his name. Sure, I've seen many cases where people post spam for writers while pretending to be a fan, but those people are almost always new posters, not posters with a legitimate history of posting to the board. (CBumpkin has posted plenty of writing-related questions in the past.) Now it is possible CBumpkin is a fan who is doing this as a favor, but maybe he really did just want to know more about the book before buying it.

This thread probably does belong in The Absolute Write Book Club or something like that. But not every poster knows that forum exists.

Last edited:

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about? I asked a simple question, whether anyone or not has read this book. I was looking for recommendations, good or bad about the book. I have no affiliation with the author or the website.

I saw a clip on CNN with her being interviewed and, at the end of the interview, they gave a website and I checked it out. It's an interesting site so I shared it.

Your BS sensor needs new batteries, friend.:Shrug:

Here's a link to the interview.

Last edited:

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
I would agree if Debbie Macomber were an unknown author, or a famous author known to do flakey things on-line. But she is a very well known author with New York Times best-sellers to her name. She doesn't have to pull stunts like this. And I have never heard of her doing anything flakey on-line. Just to give you an idea of the number of books she has published:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Macomber

Also, CBumpkin has over one hundred posts to his name. Sure, I've seen many cases where people post spam for writers while pretending to be a fan, but those people are almost always new posters, not posters with a legitimate history of posting to the board. (CBumpkin has posted plenty of writing-related questions in the past.) Now it is possible CBumpkin is a fan who is doing this as a favor, but maybe he really did just want to know more about the book before buying it.

This thread probably does belong in The Absolute Write Book Club or something like that. But not every poster knows that forum exists.

Thank you. And you're right. There are so many forums here, I didn't see this one. :eek:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Sorry, I meant the website. That sort of thing puts me so off, you couldn't pay me to read the book.
I'm more annoyed that they had to use Flash, and while the dandelion was cute, it slowed down my computer. :rolleyes: I had to close the page, so I couldn't check out the rules. I'm sure they have the legal side covered, with limits on the size of the prize, etc. (You can wish for the moon and the stars, but you can't win them.)

As far as parasitic and all that goes, I dunno. :Shrug: Is it really parasitic to ask readers what their wishes are and then "release" them into the ether or whatever? There might be some people who really believe that by typing their wish on a web site and clicking, they will be closer to getting their wish. They're already screwed up -- it's not the fault of the publisher, the author, or the book if they believe that. I don't think the publisher is "using" people's wishes, any more than a publisher of adventure books is "using" poeple's need for vicarious thrills. Besides, most people are going to say "How cute" and type in a generic wish in just to see the dandelion seeds blow away. I typed "Wish" just to see the dandelion seeds blow away.

I've seen plenty of publishers use themed contests to help promote their top-selling authors. Those contests often tie into the theme of the book, so if the title of the book is Twenty Wishes, it makes sense that someone in the PR department would think wishes would make a good idea for a contest. Other companies have tied contests into everything from winning your dream vacation to winning a honeymoon or a wedding. With the usual disclaimers to limit the cost of the prize, in case your dream vacation is a trip to Mercury or something. ;) It must be cool to be an author with such a strong fan base that the publisher can build a contest around your books. :D

Last edited:

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
I had never even heard of this author before, frankly. When I heard the author's concept for the book in the interview, it intrigued me. She didn't take the corny route of 20 wishes "before I die," so, I thought it would be interesting to see how she used the concept.

I just hope it's not a romance, as I've since learned she's known for writing. So, that' leaves out me being a fan or doing her any favors! LOL This will be a one-off book of hers that I read and then I'll donate it to the local senior citizen center.

I still don't understand the parasitical comment. How? I'm sure it's for the publicity of the novel, but which of us wouldn't want that? From what I saw, the first part with the dandelion (which worked just fine on my computer. Sorry to the rest of you it slowed things a bit), is just for anonymous fun. There's a link to click on to do it for the contest for your chance to win one of your wishes coming true. And yes, they have a $10,000 limit.