PDA

View Full Version : Boutique Agency?

leim
06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I was just wondering what a Boutique Agency meant? I have run into two agencies on the internet who list themselves as such and I hadn't seen that before.

Thanks

Toothpaste
06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Can't say for sure, but I think it means "small". As in maybe there are only one or two agents involved, possibly out of their own apartment. This does not make them any less professional, just quite possible they don't rep as many authors and therefore have very particular tastes.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

GJB
06-19-2008, 08:20 PM
I've run into a few, nice people all. But each one had no backup; if sick or on a world cruise or distracted, their "clients" are toast. Each one had no real business address, only a P.O. box or residence address. According to all the usual sources, each had either no listed clients/recent sales or very few, maybe a cookbook or trade publication, or maybe one good client (who on a couple occasions turned out to be the agent's spouse). At a 4-day conference one of them said that when she got back to the office (read, the front door of her flat) she'd have to shovel away from the door all the submissions before she could get inside. I think she had a mail slot in the door. Boutiques can grow to world-wide stature--Mattel started making dolls in his garage--but I'd be careful before signing. g.

jennontheisland
06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
I think "boutique" is a new catch phrase. I've seen it applied to agencies, publishers, hotels, and even restaurants. It's used to imply small and intimate.

I'm glad people have stopped saying "synergy". Now if we could only get rid of "real time". What the hell is real time? the opposite of artifical time??