Best feeling ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faolmor

My eyes! It burns!
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry, but I had to share this with other writers, since only you will know how this feels...

For the last few weeks, I've felt so completely down about writing. I thought I had a final edit for my WIP (after many, many rewrites, spanning many, many years), only to find that it was about 80,000 words too long for today's market.

I spent the past few weeks consoling myself with the fact that I would just have to have my own "director's cut" and the "publisher's cut." I got myself to the point where I could begin the billionth rewrite without feeling too jaded and bludgeoned and just plain worn down and disillusioned by the whole "publishing rollercoaster ride from hell...and how did the industry ever evolve to end up like this...woe is me etc..."

(Aka, I needed time to get over having my considerable ego bruised...)

I went through the, "Is my writing really any good?" thing. I went through the, "Maybe I just suck and I don't know it?" thing. I even considered the "Just give up on it," thing. (Luckily, my characters are handy with swords, and my mind soft and unarmed, so I didn't linger there too long...)

Then...cold reality struck me. I realised I would have to completely alter my plot, if I was going to cut out 80,000 words and make it work. This was surprisingly gut-wrenching for me, since I really was happy with the edit as I had just finished it.

I held my breath and ploughed in. I cut 20,000 words pretty easily. Then I wrote myself into a corner. I reached that moment of, "If I complete this paragraph, I'm going to have to rewrite the entire thing from scratch, and not just do some sort of cut-and-paste miracle-of-plastic-surgery thing and hope that no one sees the bandaids."

But then...a few minutes ago...rapture!! My brain (and yes, I'm as shocked as you to discover that I have one) just figured out another way!!

I can't even begin to describe this feeling. It's just...utter joy. I feel like I have my world back again! I was so lost without it. It's like this huge weight just lifted off my shoulders. (Now, if I could only work out how to move it off my ass...)

Anyway...sorry for my entirely self-centred little post...but I knew you guys would understand!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, we totally get it. I'm delighted to bring you either a drink or some chocolate, to celebrate.

Maryn, glad for you

Faolmor

My eyes! It burns!
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, we totally get it. I'm delighted to bring you either a drink or some chocolate, to celebrate.

Maryn, glad for you

Why, thank you!

I'll take the chocolate. Then the drink. Then some more chocolate LOL

*timtams all round*

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of reducing a 132,000 word first draft to between 90,000 and 100,000 words, so I know where you're coming from. Fortunately I write long, so I routinely have no problem reducing MSS 30-33% with only minor plot changes.

You might be surprised how much verbiage you could cut without losing content. I know I was!

CGs, by the way, on the epiphany! Those are indeed shining moments in the life of the artist.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why, thank you!

I'll take the chocolate. Then the drink. Then some more chocolate LOL

*timtams all round*
Obviously, you're going to fit in here better than you imagined.

Maryn, who's not really much of a chocolate freak (what else might she fake?)

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
:D:snoopy::PartySmil

I think most of us here do understand the elation you are feeling. Congratulations. Pass it around.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Faolmor, we're happy for you. I cut over 17k words from my ms, but I didn't do it alone like you did - I had the help of two very good beta readers.

:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil

Faolmor

My eyes! It burns!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone :)

I've now cut 35,000...with an easy 40,000 more that I think I could cut. Yay!! I'm going to come in smack on the "desired" word limit :)

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Hey, if it's just a long fiction book, couldn't you have made it a two-parter? :D

-Travis

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

I've had that beautiful feeling, too, where I've giggled aloud in the car and, to my husband's confused stare, said something like, "I just now figured out how to get Jean out of that volcano!" and gone on to cackle like a hyena.

No one else understands...but it's like a nice lightning bolt to the brain. Your fingers itch to get to it, whatever realization you just had. Love it.

--Q

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not self-centered at all. There are things only another writer would understand.

Kudos and snoopies! :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

Faolmor

My eyes! It burns!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Hey, if it's just a long fiction book, couldn't you have made it a two-parter? :D

-Travis

The irony is - it was two books...I decided to make it into one. (This is how much extra story there is.)

I'm actually cutting down 10 into 3 (well possibly 5...but I wouldn't dare pitch 5 to an agent).

The main story is a triology. Then, there will be a one book prequel and a one book sequel...if everything goes to plan!

Thanks again, all!

*passes around more timtams*

Status
Not open for further replies.