PDA

View Full Version : Request for best/worst diet advice

brc23
06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I have polled everyone on the internet ;) and didn't want to leave this group out since you are all by far the most supportive. I am writing a feature for my blog about what advice people are giving each other. The diet advice can be what you've read, heard or seen. I have things like, "Take the top bun off a double cheeseburger and you're on the Atkins diet." or "Park further away, take the stairs and don't order dessert" Judging by the 70 million obese people in the country...someone's GOT to be handing out bad advice. Let's hear it. Thanks!

What's the WORST diet advice you have ever received? Where did you
get the advice? Did you follow it? If so, what was the result?

What's the BEST diet advice you have ever received? Where did you
get the advice? Did you follow it? If so, what was the result? If
not, what stopped you?

Please email your response to multitaskyourworkout@gmail.com

Bayley
06-19-2008, 07:30 PM
On a TV show there were two diets that were terrible (I didn't follow any of them, they seem really unhealthy)

The apple diet. Only eat apples for a week

There was another diet which consisted of drinking these drinks and having no food. The drinks were made out of honey (or golden syrup, I don't remember which), sugar and boiling water. I think Beyonce used that diet.

There is quite a good diet where you don't eat after 5 or 7 pm. Stops you snacking in the evening and any food you eat before then you end up burning off.

Hypnosis is also meant to work.

Tish Davidson
06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Best practical advice came from a Weight Watcher's leader: When you eat out in a restaurant that serves giganto portions, ask for a take out box when your meal is served. Before you begin to eat, put half the meal in the take out box and take it home with you where either you can eat it another day or someone else in the family can eat it. This is practical in that it cuts down on the calories on your plate, it leaves the take out portion clean and appealing to eat later and the food doesn't go to waste.

Kitty Pryde
06-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Worst advice (from my buddy who I tried to talk out of trying it): The Master Cleanse Diet. I'd never do it in a million years cause it's redonkulous. My friend made it for 2 days and he felt like death so he quit.

Best advice (from my trainer): Eat a good breakfast because it's 'fuel for your fire.' I've been working on it and feeling good so far. I can eat more food without gaining weight because my metabolism gets revved up in the morning.

Best advice (from my partner): Cook dinner from scratch with delicious ingredients from the farmer's market. This works well because you actually want to eat your low-cal foods because it is tasty, rather than dreading your lean cuisine frozen slop, so you are more likely to stick to your goals.

Joycecwilliams
06-19-2008, 11:03 PM
My best advice also come from my Weight Watcher Leader. Portion control. If you look at what the portion should be on foods, it will shock you. A serving of rice is 1/4 cup, a portion of meat is the size of deck of cards. I lost 25 pounds on weight watchers it works, because it's not a diet but a life style.. I can eat anything. The sizes however are smaller...

TerzaRima
06-19-2008, 11:19 PM
The worst diet advice:

The whole school of thought that asserts that your body needs to be purged of so-called "toxins." When I was a teenager, my mom got this week long diet from her eating disordered best friend and she, my sisters and I all embarked on it. I folded after three days. It was basically roasted sweet potatoes, onions, beets, and a gallon of water a day. Of course everyone lost weight, just as you would lose weight (temporarily) if you mainlined stool softeners for a week. Bad dieting advice.

Good dieting advice:

Diets don't work. Only realistic eating and exercise habits that you can fit into your life on a regular basis will pay off.

Oh, and get enough sleep. Chronically sleep deprived people tend to gain weight for multiple reasons. There's a lot of interesting literature about weight and night workers, sleep deprived people, etc. When I was a resident working long hours, I was kind of a chub, and it wasn't easy for me to slim down until I got a job with more regular hours. 7-8 hours a night makes a huge difference.

brc23
06-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Great responses!

I have heard the WW advice more than once. It's works because it's real. The portions our society eats is unreal. You are absolutely right.

The cleansing or 'releasing your toxins' thing is such BS. It will of course help you lose weight. Water weight. You will be dehydrated, yep drinking too much water can dehydrate you, you get no nutrients and your hormone levels fall off the charts. If anyone sustains that for a period of time testing has shown decreased brain activity....among other organs shutting down. DO NOT DO THEM!

Ahh yes the Apple Diet...well if you eliminate any food group or cut your calories in 1/2 you will lose weight. So if it was the twinkie diet, yes you would lose weight at first, but oooooohhhhh suffer in the long run.

Thanks for the input! It's ongoing to feel free to add at anytime.

StephanieFox
06-20-2008, 02:23 AM
The worst I ever tried was the Atkins' diet circa 1973. NO carbs, NO vegetables, lots of meat and fat. You have to check your urine a couple of times a day. In three days, I got so spaced out on it, it lost my way to the bathroom in my one-bedroom apartment. I was craving salad.

The best, and one which I do most of the time, is portion control. I eat a lot of low cal foods and only a little of high cal foods. I do not deny myself any particular foods and can satisfy a craving with just a small bite or two.

Mom'sWrite
06-20-2008, 03:44 AM
I have polled everyone on the internet ;) and didn't want to leave this group out since you are all by far the most supportive. I am writing a feature for my blog about what advice people are giving each other. The diet advice can be what you've read, heard or seen. I have things like, "Take the top bun off a double cheeseburger and you're on the Atkins diet." or "Park further away, take the stairs and don't order dessert" Judging by the 70 million obese people in the country...someone's GOT to be handing out bad advice. Let's hear it. Thanks!

What's the WORST diet advice you have ever received? Where did you
get the advice? Did you follow it? If so, what was the result?

What's the BEST diet advice you have ever received? Where did you
get the advice? Did you follow it? If so, what was the result? If
not, what stopped you?

Please email your response to multitaskyourworkout@gmail.com

My mom has always been a yo-yo dieter since she discovered chocolate. When the US went ga-ga for the Scarsdale Diet, my mom went too. She lost 50 pounds but turned into the biggest bitch on the block. Starvation diets are the worst. She looked great but everyone had stopped speaking to her by the time she got to her target weight. I've heard the stories, but I think that the diet's inventor, Dr. Herman Tarnower was killed by his lover, Jean Harris, not because he was cheating on her but because she was just so damn hungry and he told her she couldn't have the jelly donut one time too many.

My mom kept the weight off for about 12 nanoseconds, then promptly gained 60 pounds.

The best diet is less calories/more exercise. More water and veggies/less processed foods. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

kuwisdelu
06-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Worst advice: Atkins.

Best advice: Vegetarian.

(Don't forget vitamins!!)

Scrawler
06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Excluding the basic eat less, move more, I think almost all diet advice is bad. Most of the diets I've seen in books and magazines don't seem to take basic human biology into account. It's nonsensical to eat protein-free, high fructose corn syrup-laden cereal and expect to be healthy.
Diet "food products" are basically chemical stew concoctions (disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate- mmmm!).
The worst advice involved the word "cleanse" again (as in, drink liquid for 4 days to cleanse the body of toxins) arrrcckk!

The best advice I found was with a program called Radiant Recovery "Your Last Diet". It's not a diet per se, it's incoporating lifestyle changes that are about healing the body and getting healthy.

Menyanthana
06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
The worst advice: Eat less fat, eat gummi bears instead of chocolate, they don't contain fat. :Headbang:

The best...cannot say if it is the best as I never needed a diet but I think "Only eat fresh fruit, vegetable and nuts" is okay. Sounds like it contains a lot of vitamins and so on.

I nearly got rid of a rather bad acne problem with the "No sugar, no white flour" diet advice, to that's a good one, too.

brc23
06-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Really great tips!

I think it's funny the amount of people who've said Atkins as the worst advice. LOL

FinbarReilly
06-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Best advice: Don't inflict your diet on other people. Sometimes the mother of a house will inflict her diet on the family, which is bad because not everyone in the house needs the diet, and the teenagers need more calories.

(Everyone else brought up the Atkins and detox diets...)

Worst Advice: Go Vegan! Even though the diet has less fat, it also has less vitamins. I'm not sure how healthy a diet is that requires you eat constantly and/or take supplements in order to keep up the same energy levels as others...

FR

FabulaScribe
06-21-2008, 12:38 AM
I did the Atkins Diet in 2003 and 2004 and I actually liked it, but I wonder if there have been big changes in the diet since the 70's, because of things I hear people say and something a previous poster said. I haven't read any of the previous books about it, so I don't know, but at the time I was on it, salads and low-carb vegetables (broccoli, green beans, etc.) were encouraged, not forbidden. There was also a section of the book that explained the different kinds of fats and which ones are good and which ones aren't, so that people didn't think they should just eat a steady diet of fatty steak and cheese or something. I hear a lot of people refer to Atkins as "no carbs, no vegetables," etc., so it must have changed by the time I tried it.

Someone I used to know used to make sure to brush her teeth after every meal, not only because that is what dentists recommend, but also because it helped keep her from snacking between meals. She didn't want to get her teeth all dirty again right after brushing them. I don't know that clean teeth have ever kept me from snacking when I really wanted to (I can always brush again), but it helped her. :)

Menyanthana
06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Worst Advice: Go Vegan! Even though the diet has less fat, it also has less vitamins. I'm not sure how healthy a diet is that requires you eat constantly and/or take supplements in order to keep up the same energy levels as others...

You don't have to take supplements as long as you live in a developing country... ;)

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

Human faeces can contain significant B12. A study has shown that a group of Iranian vegans obtained adequate B12 from unwashed vegetables which had been fertilised with human manure. Faecal contamination of vegetables and other plant foods can make a significant contribution to dietary needs, particularly in areas where hygiene standards may be low. This may be responsible for the lack of aneamia due to B12 deficiency in vegan communities in developing countries.

Okay, I admit, being vegetarian is easier. ;)

FinbarReilly
06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Although I appreciate that you don't need to (and shouldn't have to if you plan things well enough), too many vegans/vegetarians I know seem to take a lot of them.
Which has also seemed to amuse me...

FR

Libbie
06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
The cleansing or 'releasing your toxins' thing is such BS. It will of course help you lose weight. Water weight. You will be dehydrated, yep drinking too much water can dehydrate you, you get no nutrients and your hormone levels fall off the charts. If anyone sustains that for a period of time testing has shown decreased brain activity....among other organs shutting down. DO NOT DO THEM!

Yeah. My dad once had a grand mal seizure after drinking so much water in a single day that he desalinated himself. It was not a good thing.

Of course, not drinking enough water can be just as bad for you. I once ended up in the hospital because I got so badly dehydrated. It was not fun at all, but at least it was a short stay!

I've learned a simple way to determine how much water you should be drinking per day if you're moderately active or sedentary: Your weight in pounds divided by half. That number is the amount of water you should drink daily in ounces. So for me, at 170 pounds, I should be drinking 85 ounces of water per day. Sounds like a lot, until you consider that's only five average-sized water bottles per day. One with each meal and two in between. Easy!

Of course, if you're very active you'll need to drink more than that.

Talia
06-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Hi

I'll pop you an email as I run workshops on getting away from the diet mentality, and why diets don't work long-term for most people. I've got a free seminar coming up soon (you can listen online) and I can get you some other material if you think it's relevant

I look forward to reading your article when you're done.

WendyNYC
06-22-2008, 03:16 AM
If I need to drop a few pounds, the only thing I change is my evening eating habits. If I eat nothing after 6 pm, I'll lose weight.

Of course, this doesn't work as well when you eat out, but overall it seems to work for me. Being a late might snacker and all.

zeppelin123
06-22-2008, 07:57 AM
I've actually lost over 40 pounds and maintained my loss within a five-pound fluctuation radius for a year and a half so far. I was origionally 197 in June 2006. Now I fluctuate between 153 and 158. My body fat percentage is in the acceptable range but my BMI is still slightly high (I am 5 foot 4) My doctor says if I wish to lose more weight to do it very gradually.

The best advice I believe is changing your lifestyle rather than set rules.

What I did (and still do):
-make 2/3 of your plate veggies
-make meat small portions
-have low cal snacks and diet pop
-eat lots of fruit and foods filed with fiber
-exercise at least half an hour a day (sometimes I do urban rebounding, other days I will just go for a walk or swim)
-don't try to lose any more than a pound a week or you are likely cutting your calories too low and will make youself feel sluggish and lightheaded.
-allow treats in moderation, just don't make them an every day thing. (e.g. In the summer on our weekends we camp, I allow myself to eat all the junk I want but that's once every two weeks at the most amd we also do lots of swimming and hiking, I also don't restrict myself on special occasions or family dinners out).

The worst advice:
-rigid rules
-using the word "cheating"
-cutting calories low enough to make youself sluggish and cranky
-meal replacement shakes (they don't leave you satisfied and are often empty calories)
-forbidding certain foods
-trying to lose weigh by diet alone without exercise
-claims of rapid weight loss (both unhealthy and almost certain to gain it back and more)
-any "diet" (carbs, points, shakes etc.)

brc23
06-23-2008, 04:48 AM
WOW! You guys are really making it hard to pick my top ten list! LOL!

These are great answers...i'm going to have to do some thinking.....

zenwriter
06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
The best advice I ever got was just to eat more fresh fruits and veggies.

I think the worst idea is to eat only pre-packaged or fast-food meals. There's that guy who supposedly lost weight by eating only Subway and now there's this fellow: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080620/koddities/oddity_mcdonald_s_diet

EriRae
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Best advice: drop soda from your diet. Drink iced tea or water when you go out to eat. Have a cup of cofee or tea when you need a pick-me up (black--adding sugar and cream and etc. add extra calories).

Worst advice: starving yourself. If you're hungry, eat something. Just make sure you're really hungry, not dehydrated, and make a healthy decision, like a piece of fruit instead of a bag of chips.

PattiTheWicked
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Worst advice: Try Atkins. I didn't even bother -- I looked at the book and knew there was no way in hell I could do anything like that.

Best advice came on a poster a nutritionist friend of mine has in her office:

Exercise more.
Eat less.
Mostly green stuff.

Willowmound
06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Best advice: Vegetarian.

How come 80 percent of all the vegetarians I know are fat?

kikazaru
06-24-2008, 06:22 PM
How come 80 percent of all the vegetarians I know are fat?

Because being a vegetarian doesn't preclude eating chips, doughnuts and pop!

Best advice....

Eat breakfast.

Use a smaller plate - your plate still looks full but you are eating less.

Drink more water - and I include tea and coffee in this since your body needs the fluid and there are actually benefits to drinking them.

Don't deprive yourself. If you want that cookie or ice cream go ahead, just don't go overboard choose a smaller portion and don't beat yourself up about it.

Don't cut out fat. Fat (healthy fats ie olive oils etc) is what makes things taste good and besides being necessary for good health it also keeps us full longer when we include it.

Eat between meals and always include a protein with a carb - just a little something ie nuts, cheese and crackers, peanut butter and celery sticks etc. This way you aren't ravenous by the time your lunch/dinner rolls around and can keep your portions controlled.

Try not to eat foods with ingredients you can't pronounce. Simple, real foods are not only better for you but they are more delicious as well.

Don't eat in the evening.

Worst advice...

Those liquid diets in a can - blech!

brc23
07-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Best and Worst Diet Advice Top Ten lists are up! See if your advice got picked. There were some really good answers.

Mike Martyn
07-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Worst diet advice?

When I was about eight years old, my mother started referring to me as "painfully thin". I still cringe at the phrase.

My father reasoned that since beer drinkers tend to gain weight the best thing for their little boy would be to give him beer. So every evening at dinner time instead of milk, I got a six ounce glass of my father's home made beer which probably had twice as much alcohol as commercial beer. This went on for about six months.

I didn't gain any weight although I imagine I could have drunk any other third grader under the table!

If there had been a "Negligent Parent of the Year" award, it would have gone to my father.

yttar
07-03-2008, 03:27 AM
There used to be a dieting pill that used to advertise that as long as you took the pill you could eat whatever you wanted without gaining any weight.

What they didn't tell you was the the pill contained a parasite that would sit in your gut, and as parasites tend to do, it would eat off its host. So as long as you keep eating whatever you want, the parasite would be happy and have plenty of food. But since you were feeding the parasite and not yourself, and eventually the parasite would need more food than what you were eating, it would start eating away at your insides. Thus making it seem like you were losing weight.

Tapeworm anyone?

Yttar

Giant Baby
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Worst diet advice I can think of is not "diet advice" per se, but an unfortunate and odd commonality in the shelving of products in the supermarkets here in New England (not sure if it's a national... er... problem). I can't think why they insist upon it, but in the supermarkets where I live, you can be sure to find "Diet aids" followed by "Laxatives" on the overhead signs.

All of them. Every store.

It's not "advice" but it sticks in the subconscious. If your character's looking for incentive to bad dietary behavior, it's right there, midway between the produce section and the frozen foods.

Good grief.

Laurie Champion
07-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Best advice: diets don't work. Change your eating habits to those you can live with the rest of your life. Yes, you can eat a Snickers every now and then, which most "diets" prescribe, but you have to change your mindset to knowing you can't eat a Snickers every day.

scout
07-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Eat less of every food. Cutting your intake will cause your body to live off its own fat.

Willowmound
07-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Remove a leg. Right there it's pounds off, and afterward it's gonna be that much more difficult to reach the fridge.

Clair Dickson
07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I think some of the worst advice is "Vacations don't count" or insert any thing instead of vacations such as holiday gatherings or whatnot.

I understand the desire to enjoy all the different foods, but it can be done in moderation. Make a plate that samples a little of each one-- a taste.

Vacations, holidays, eating at restaurants, and other reasons do count. (My MIL uses these lines and it drives me nuts!)