poetry and the passage of time(?)

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
<<Okay, this might come across as controversial, not intended and it shouldn’t if you’re willing to discuss, I’m not trying to piss anyone off. That said, I’ll proceed>>

I was watching a documentary about the poetry of Dylan Thomas the other day and how it has survived the passage of time and is still as powerful today as it was when written…this, I believe, is crap! I know, shock horror. I don’t think it’s true to say that any poetry lasts forever. Although, relatively speaking, a fairly modern poet, Thomas was a child of his time, and his time was still very different to now. His influences were different, the world he saw was different. This is all apparent in his poetry. The imagery, sights, sounds and smells of Dylan Thomas’ work are by large industrial and very much significant to the time, and where those influences are not automatically identifiable, the course away from them, in retraction will always lead back. The nature within his poetry is symbolic for how his mind worked and processed his environment, as should be the case for every poet, but our understanding of not only the world around us but also of self has shifted to a new area. Although we could argue that human emotion, love, fear etc., etc. are relative to any time, I’d have to counter by saying that while that may be true, the drive is different. Such poetry as that of Dylan Thomas and others (Poe, for example) are so out of context when injected into today’s climate. The essence of the poetry is still, perhaps, there, but do we really see it now that almost every piece of that work has been dissected and analysed? We read the poetry of the greats as if doing an autopsy – and this has killed the original intent. Even those of us who have no academic concern with relation to the poetry don’t really ‘get’ the perspective because our society, values and personal identity have evolved beyond what is on the sheet. And look at today’s ever popular über-reactive poetry, will that withstand the passage of time?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Passages and sections are, as you say, indeed the parts that withstand and continue onward, but is it for the reason that it was back when written? And, let's take Poe for a second; Poe was never really accepted into the literary community...but now he's dead he's suddenly a master? If it was mediocre then, why is it good now?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Poetry will stand the test of time if you read it blindly. Not poets, but poems. If you get wrapped up in the trash that comes at the front of these books of poetry... the work of pompous asses who like every tom dick and harry to feel their wind... you might not see the words of the poets.

Here, Here!!

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This is entirely my point. I believe that the only reason Dylan Thomas had a documentary dedicated to him, and soon a biopic, is because of his name and not his work...which is contradictory reall when you consider that his name came from his work. anyway, must people who know of poets do not or have not read their work. So how can you say it withstands?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. I enjoy Thomas' work and he's one of my favourite, even named my son after him, but as you said, his work is antiquated...and very visibly so.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
We could turn it around and ask what "passing the test of time" actually means. Ignoring my own personal feelings towards Thomas - as it happens, I'm neutral about his work - perhaps we could consider reframing the question as "does Dylan Thomas still sell?" Looking at the shelves of my local bookshop, I'd say the answer is "yes, he does". In Britain at least, people are still buying his work. That's one test of time he's passed.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
KTC had a phase for deleting his posts a while back.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm...

As I was saying - with regards to sales of the greats -- some poets will always sell, forever or as near as to forever is possible. That's not my point - whether Thomas, Poe, Shakespeare, Keats, Tennyson, Shelly, Byron, Boroughs or anyone else of the past and present will sell in the future is irrelevant, my point is are they selling for the same reasons? Are we still in tune with the poetry or are the classics selling as academic status symbols, the early 20ths selling as marks of our intellect and ability to think outside the box - is the artiness and intellectual the overtone that sells - or do we still get what is written, do they still emote in a way we understand?

Every poet is a child of their time - even in universal thematic terms, unrequited love, sorrow, grief etc. -- the way we respond and react nowadays is somewhat different from the Victorian era for example because of social and cultural evolutions that effect us as individuals.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I've never bought any book as an academic status symbol. I buy them because I want to read them.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
dylan sometimes gets a (often unconscious) pass because his work was an early indicator of some of what would become hallmarks of modern poetry, both in terms of form and content.

thomas' fragmented, often dissociated narratives, his abstractions of imagery and the psychological exploration implicit in much of his work is foundational for many subsequent poets, whether they acknowledged it or not (and, in fairness, whether they arrived at it independently or not).

so, he's somewhat dated much in the way that chuck berry is dated, but we still (should) give chuck berry his due when we hear rock music, though in a side by side comparison, they might often not even appear, at first blush, to be related.

my opinion anyway.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Fair comment William and one I agree with fully - but Chuck Berry and indeed all 50's RnR is also no longer in touch with modern times - stylisation and musical value perhaps, but lyrically - no. Values change, perceptions change...as with poetry. I guess what I'm getting at more than anything else is whether my own poetry or that of anyone will be received for it's actual weight and original intention in years to come or merely for its poetic value of style, form and ultimately period.

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
P, I get what you're saying - but can you really connect with the attitudwe and intrinsict emotive value of Thomas' aesthetics and themes? With all our modern attitudes that lean away from faith and more toward the science of societal worth and monitary gain - our break from the human condition as a core part of our existense and motion toward a dissconnected and multi-facetted supposition? Do you understand the import of the force that through the green fuse grows? The welling mouth that sucks the mud and engulfs the heart? Do you realy believe that the glow and the passage are the mercy of your your soul in rippling ponds?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
there's a big difference between acknowledging roots and being bound by them.

True. So what you're saying is that for all his fame and accolade, Thomas no longer speaks to the modern world as he once did? Ergo, his poetry has stood the test of time, but his intentions and actual themes/content have not?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i believe his themes have stood the test of time, but his poems are a snapshot of a particular poet in a particular time.

i find this to be true of all poets, really.

and all film, music and painting as well.

i guess it depends on what one means by "standing the test of time."

if it is, "could i read this poem and believe that it was written in 2011?" then, no.

if it is, "can i see this poem as an advancement from a victorian worldview to a modern, post-freud, more experimental attitude?" then, absolutely.

and, as such, thomas' work has much more in common with most current poetry than does byron or even some of the later romantics.

so i think we ultimately agree that thomas has his place in time, but i just think it's also worth noting that some of his longevity has less to do with his work, in and of itself, and far more to do with the leap forward (in approach, regardless of what one might think of its quality) that it represents.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That's more or less my view William, I don't mean to keep picking on Thomas as he is one of my favourites - there is a great strength to all his work and a typical and unshakable Welshness - can I understand what he's saying? Yes. It's not that I feel no connection, but that the connection I do have is through modern eyes looking back. I concur that he was a transitional poet as were several of his period - but he is also a very urban poet in certain sense. I love the abstraction and psychological deployment of phrasing and - let's face it as I'm sure it's overwhelmingly clear to see, in all my surrealism and experimentalism, he has a prominent influence of voice in my works.

As I said, the content and themes do still stand, as you say, but the connection and value have devolved further today than to have the same weight. In 50 years this will be greater again -- what about in a few centuries' time? Will there still be poets as myself that feel the draw and influence?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it will echo still, i believe, but ever more faintly.

still, i appreciate such touchstones from the past.

william blake is little more than dust and teeth, and his language belongs to another age, his sentimentality and metaphysical yearning is somewhat foreign to me—and yet, he continues to inspire and inform my own work, and some of his poems can still give me chills.

appreciate the exchange and thanks for all you do to keep conversations going around here.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why must one be 'in touch with modern times'? Some art is temporally rooted, and that's great; the times need to have their voices.

But relevance to right now, in my view, isn't and shouldn't be the litmus test for artistic merit. In fact, I quail at the notion.

ETA: I think poetry, like all art, depends very heavily on the premise on concepts that transcend the contemporary. It relies on ideas being eternal (or at least enduring) and universal (or at least broadly recognized): love, heroism, betrayal, truth, beauty, death, sex, time, right and wrong. Otherwise, what does the artist have to share?

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<<Okay, this might come across as controversial, not intended and it shouldn’t if you’re willing to discuss, I’m not trying to piss anyone off. That said, I’ll proceed>>
I should hope a topic would be controversial; otherwise, what is there to discuss?

Glad you brought this one out again!

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Why must one be 'in touch with modern times'? Some art is temporally rooted, and that's great; the times need to have their voices.

Rob, that's true - but to a degree the intention should still be not only accepted as identifiable, but also to the original intention.

>>batting the ball to DT again...

This line 'the force that through the green fuse drives the flower' is beautiful beyond the meaning of the words - wonderfully identifiable despite metaphor and the overbearing abstract surrealism in it. Why does he write it this way when so many, if not all his period contemporaries would have written that exact same line as simply 'the force that drives the flower' or 'the flower's driven force'? It's the green fuse that equates to nature, the conceptualization of nature through industrial language while at the same time, within itself and the entirety of the piece is juxtaposed against inversions that were archaic even for the time this poem was penned. That's the academic beauty of Thomas' work - the perfect and seamless marriage between modern understanding and the ancient or classical ethos of (eternal/immortal) entity. This is the same beauty the peer reader read into the work, that marriage symbolised a cross-over in identities - the same identities that the world found themselves questioning. When we read Thomas now, we don't see that as they did then, we don't identify with the same lost social identity, the turbulence of a world rapidly evolving and passing past the immortal Earth Eden that it once was -- because we are there, where for them was still unknown, what they feared, anticipated and deliberated over. When we read Thomas, we read his words through intellectual empathy. The world today and society is also undergoing a similar transition into a less industrial and more technological and virtual era - we can identify with themes and concepts in a suitable way, but through reflection and not direct identification/connection.

If poetry or art doesn't stand the test of time and in future years becomes questionable to its purpose it becomes throw-away...whether we can immediately connect to it, find a direct perceivable reality that speaks to us as the poet originally intended is another matter. It can still speak to us, the poet can transcend time and let us feel or hear his/her words, but the effect diminishes with time and becomes something different until it eventually fades to a state somewhere above throw-away and submits to derivative academic deconstruction and description.

How long does it take for a poem to reach this point? Shakespeare is already the territory of the haughty for most - and academia loves a bit of Keats and Shelly between their bread. What causes a poet's work to last longer than others?

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
In regard to Dylan Thomas, I have his works handy on my desktop, often read a poem or two just to get me in a certain mood. Problem I have with him is that except, for a few poems like "Fern Hill", I just don't understand him, so I really don't know if he "survives the passgae of time' or not. I think "Fern Hill" does, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" and a few others. As for most the rest, you can't prove it by me.

There is something awfully compelling about his work though that keeps me going back to it.

A very good subject for descussion Kie.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
When we read Thomas now, we don't see that as they did then, we don't identify with the same lost social identity, the turbulence of a world rapidly evolving and passing past the immortal Earth Eden that it once was -- because we are there, where for them was still unknown, what they feared, anticipated and deliberated over. When we read Thomas, we read his words through intellectual empathy. The world today and society is also undergoing a similar transition into a less industrial and more technological and virtual era - we can identify with themes and concepts in a suitable way, but through reflection and not direct identification/connection.

You use 'we' way too much. Just because you don't identify with this or that and only connect intellectually, doesn't mean others don't.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You use 'we' way too much. Just because you don't identify with this or that and only connect intellectually, doesn't mean others don't.

DO you then? Please elucidate how you do...rather than snark at my comments and leave vague opposals - that's the point of discussion.

WE is a term to suggest generalisation - that's the point of it in this context - I'm sure if you'd read my posts properly you'd understand that I do feel a connection to the works of Dylan Thomas and others. I'm playing devil's advocate in order to progress the discussion beyond my own personal opinions -- again the actual intention of WE in this context.