is it logical to assume...

Status
Not open for further replies.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
that any established, civilized group of people or creatures will have some sort of sports? in particular, 'violent' sports such as boxing or football? it might have some literary bearing on a story, eh? (besides, not all SF/F has to be about saving the universe, eh?)

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Since a number of (more-or-less) civilized groups never invented writing, and the Incas invented roads without managing to come up with the wheel, I think it is rash to assume much of anything.

The Romans enjoyed watching slaves compete in violent contests, but Romans themselves had no interest in participating in sports.

I think every society will have some kind of recreational games, though.

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
I would say so. Looking back at ancient civilizations, there has been sport for as long as man has been upright.
If 'creatures' are intelligent enough to be civilized, I would assume they'd have sports.

I once asked Julie Czerneda, SciFi writer, how she came up with her 'civilizations' - how they thought, acted, etc. She said it was from the inside out - she started with a biological base, the body and the setting, and built the society around how they would have evolved and what allowances or abilities would stem from their physicality. I found that fascinating.

SeanDSchaffer

Well, look at the ancient Romans.

The ancient Romans were (and are still today) considered to be a very civilized people, but at the same time they had their blood-sport. The Collosseum (I think that's how it's spelled for that particular arena) was one of the most technologically advanced arenas ever built, and it was all for the purpose of killing for fun. That blood-sport kept Rome alive for centuries, even before the Collosseum was built.

And again, they were and are still considered one of the most civilized peoples of the Ancient Western World.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sports

preyer said:
that any established, civilized group of people or creatures will have some sort of sports? in particular, 'violent' sports such as boxing or football? it might have some literary bearing on a story, eh? (besides, not all SF/F has to be about saving the universe, eh?)

You're creating the world and the people/aliens on it. Whether or not they have sport is 100% up to you.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
true, but if it's earth in a hundred years it has to be plausible. that is, i think the mass psychology has to be realistic for most stories to work unless you're going out of your way for whatever reason.

the colosseum is the rome arena, but you'll see the variant 'coliseum' sometimes when referring to general arenas. interesting you point out the colosseum in its relation to rome's 'civilized' nature, as when i toured the place the guide pointed out the giant penis carved into a pillar as directions to the nearest brothels. can we then deduce that civilized people accept prostitution?

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Most cultures have had some sort of sports or games. I can think of examples of violent, combat-based, or simply dangerous sports springing up in many times and places: Anetsa (sp?) in eastern American Indian groups, Sumo in Japan, Roman chariot races, American Football, etc. Many people have aggressive urges, and it seems there is often a need in society for some acceptable entertainment that caters to this urge. Sometimes it is in sports, other times it may be through arts (movies) or other outlets. If there is no such violent entertainment in a science fiction world, you will need to have some explanation as to how aggression is handled in this world, and this is likely to be important enough to be a major plot point.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I wouldn't assume it. A lifeform with a culture could have evolved in a setting where aggression wasn't a viable strategy.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sports

preyer said:
true, but if it's earth in a hundred years it has to be plausible. that is, i think the mass psychology has to be realistic for most stories to work unless you're going out of your way for whatever reason.

the colosseum is the rome arena, but you'll see the variant 'coliseum' sometimes when referring to general arenas. interesting you point out the colosseum in its relation to rome's 'civilized' nature, as when i toured the place the guide pointed out the giant penis carved into a pillar as directions to the nearest brothels. can we then deduce that civilized people accept prostitution?

If it's earth in a hundred years, it would be completely implausible to think there wouldn't be sports. When something has been around since man was kicking around the heads of his victims for fun, when it's a part of every culture there is, when it's still not only popular but bigger than ever, it ain't gonna vanish in 100 years.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Jamesaritchie said:
If it's earth in a hundred years, it would be completely implausible to think there wouldn't be sports. When something has been around since man was kicking around the heads of his victims for fun, when it's a part of every culture there is, when it's still not only popular but bigger than ever, it ain't gonna vanish in 100 years.

Perhaps not, but the Romans didn't have to deal with insurance companies.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
good point, lol.

coincidentally, 'the running man' is on t.v. in the background.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Humans, and in the near future? Yeah, I'd say so. Heck, even in LOST, one of the castaways realizes that they all need something to unwind and destress, so he comes up with a make-shift golf course. Recreational activities -- whether contact sports, solitary activities, or group events -- are part of our wiring. My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.