P.O.D. & reprints

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
A wacky idea just occurred to me in the pool today and I wanted to get some opinions on its viability.

I have three books long out of print, whose rights all reverted to me. Each contains lots of fascinating interviews with famous people who signed releases. Looking over these interviews, I realized many of them would fit within one concept. So I could formulate a kind of "greatest hits" collection of my writing, but one that would also be a coherent overview of an era.

The market for revised reissues among commercial publishers is pretty limited. It's so small I'm sure my agent wouldn't even want to send this idea around. So I figured, maybe P.O.D. would be the way to go.

Then, while I'm waiting to work on my next book for a major publisher (or if and when a contract for another book comes through), I could promote my "collection" on my web site.

Aside from the normal questions, I'm also wondering if I'd have to go back to these people who gave me releases 20 years ago and ask them all over again?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Ken,
Assuming I can lay my hands on them at this juncture, if I recall, the releases said something like they gave me permission to use the interview in this and subsequent editions of the book. The question would be if my "revised reissue" is considered a subsequent edition of the book. The other question is if I'm remembering correctly.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Should you decide to go ahead, don't forget to first run the idea by your agent to make sure s/he isn't interested. Of course I don't know, but many agent contracts contain a clause whereby the agency has right of first refusal to anything one writes while they are under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.