What are the best books on Children's Writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane02

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theknittinglane.com
I tried to do a search on this but didn't find anything (so I apologize if I'm repeating a past topic :Smack: ).

I was wondering what are some of the better books on writing for children. I am currently reading Story Sparkers and A Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children. I'm curious what other ones people love.

Thank you!!

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
I like Writing books for Kids and Teens by Marion Crook. It's a fairly general guide to all types of books for kids (picture, YA ect.) including nonfic and the process of writing them from first ideas all the way to promotion.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
I like It's a Bunny-Eat-Bunny World mainly because it was written by someone who's seen the biz from 3 sides (author, editor, agent). Olga Litowinsky isn't afraid to tell you stuff about the biz that the rest of the books avoid, like the very real possibility that your rejected submission could turn up as someone else's work and you won't be able to do anything about it.

The wonderful world of children's books, eh? ;)

Be sure to scroll down to my review "Like Watership Down. Only bloodier."

Lane02

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theknittinglane.com
How important do you condiser the publishing date on books like this? I always hear how the market and publishing world change and I worry about how old a book can be before it is considered outdated (when it hasn't been revised.)

I suppose a key consideration is whether the book discusses actual writing vs. publishing.

I've added both of the above suggestions to my Wish List. Thank you for the input :thankyou: .

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
My favorite children's writing book, one I wish I had when I was starting out is
"Picture Writing" by Anastasia Suen.
I also greatly enjoyed "Take Joy" by Jane Yolen but it's not a craft book, it's more philosophical...for a technique book, Picture Writing is EXCELLENT. And it's not just for picture book writers -- it's about bringing immediacy and reality to scenes in novels and even poetry. Really excellent book.

gran

Lane02

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theknittinglane.com
cwgranny said:
My favorite children's writing book, one I wish I had when I was starting out is
"Picture Writing" by Anastasia Suen.
I also greatly enjoyed "Take Joy" by Jane Yolen but it's not a craft book, it's more philosophical...for a technique book, Picture Writing is EXCELLENT. And it's not just for picture book writers -- it's about bringing immediacy and reality to scenes in novels and even poetry. Really excellent book.

gran

Oh, I am so glad you answered. I remember seeing Picture Writing in Borders and really liking it - but I could not remember the name. When I read your post, it came back :D . Yes, this did look excellent!

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
The book I found most inspiring and most helpful practically was 'Writing for Young Adults' by Sherry Garland. Even if you write for younger children, I would highly recommend it, because there is so much amazing advice on the craft of writing in there. Her advice on finding a publisher is priceless - really detailed. She includes sample query, cover and proposal letters, and all kinds of other useful details.

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
Oh great, Zolah, now I have to go buy another book. My husband keeps giving my growing writing book collection the hairy eyeball...but heck, he collects sports memorabila...at least MINE is tax deductable.

Joe -- I LOVED BUNNY...wonderful book. I also like Underdown's book on children's book publishing but it's not nearly as gossipy.

gran

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Sorry, CwGranny. But honestly, you won't regret it. I credit that book with motivating me to finish my first ms - it really is inspiring. And heck, what's money for if not to buy books with (now if only we could convince the general public of that...)?

katiebug57

Registered
Reaction score
I recently took a free course from B&N Univ. and we used "You Can Write Children's Books." But, my very favorite is the one you've already read: Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories. I've corresponded some with the author of that book; she's really great!

The thing I like about it most is that it tells me all the "rules" that everyone kept saying you had to follow, but didn't tell me what they were!

Katiebug

Status
Not open for further replies.