PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... The stress, anxiety, and fear have disappeared.

Fraulein
06-18-2008, 07:30 AM
About a week ago, I had an epiphany... sort of. It happened at work while I was dealing with a customer who was trying to make a big fuss at the register. For whatever reason, his actions didn't bother me like they normally would. At that moment, I just didn't care, for lack of a better explanation. It felt very strange to let him rant and fuss without fueling the situation with my emotions.
During the episode, I was numb, but as odd as it may sound, that's what felt so good. The anxiety-induced pressure in my chest was deflected into my stomach, and I started breathing deeply. I didn't develop a headache or feelings of despair while the customer was desperately trying to get his way.

Honestly, I don't know how it happened, but I couldn't be more grateful. It's too bad that I can't explain this phenomenon, because if I could, my health would probably improve dramatically. Maybe it's inner strength. I don't know.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

MsK
06-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Well, it's been said that our own anger hurts us more than it does the one we are angry with.
Had you argued back, even internally, your emotions would have caused physical symptoms, but you just let the customers bad moment roll right off of you.
Years ago, I realized how my negative emotions took more of a toll on me than the person I was feeling negative about and I learned to let things go much easier.
It still takes work, at times, deep breathing, walking away from a bad situation rather than fighting just for the sake of being called the winner, but I feel great most of the time as I am the one in control of my emotions.
Good Luck to you. I hope you continue having that inner strength and ability to handle things in a less stressful manner.

Matera the Mad
06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Good one.

Write a self-help book about stress relief ;)

Mumut
06-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Well done. When I owned a store a young boy poked his fingers in a cake that was for sale. When his mother brought her goods to the counter I added the cake. She argued but then gave in to my calm explanation that she really did have to pay for it. When she said, 'but he's no worse than other children,' I just answered, 'I can assure you, madam, he is'. By being calm I felt so much better than if I'd been angry.

shakeysix
06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
i keep my life in compartments. so if something lousy is happening in the classroom i can say to myself--well, shakey, at least tonight you can thin out those lettuce plants and then take a long walk in the park. if something has eaten the eff out of my garden i can say-- but once i clean up this mess i can have a nice sandwich, read for an hour and go to bed early because the house is clean and the laundry caught up. if i get a turn down on a story i can say-- well, the kids all passed that test on the travel vocab, so at least they won't get stranded in a spanish speaking country. if someone bitches about something i have posted for crit, i think--wow--my students all laughed at that stupid joke i told them this morning!

but if i just concentrate on the negative then i don't have a tranquil, crap free place to mentally run to when the s*** comes up. 20 years ago i paid a counselor 65$ an hour for this advice. money well spent---s6

Fraulein
06-19-2008, 05:15 AM
Good one.

Write a self-help book about stress relief
I'll have to look into that. It sounds doable. :)

Well done. When I owned a store a young boy poked his fingers in a cake that was for sale. When his mother brought her goods to the counter I added the cake. She argued but then gave in to my calm explanation that she really did have to pay for it. When she said, 'but he's no worse than other children,' I just answered, 'I can assure you, madam, he is'. By being calm I felt so much better than if I'd been angry.
I would have loved to have been the kid. I like cake. He's sneaky yet smart, because he got the cake in the end.

i keep my life in compartments. so if something lousy is happening in the classroom i can say to myself--well, shakey, at least tonight you can thin out those lettuce plants and then take a long walk in the park. if something has eaten the eff out of my garden i can say-- but once i clean up this mess i can have a nice sandwich, read for an hour and go to bed early because the house is clean and the laundry caught up. if i get a turn down on a story i can say-- well, the kids all passed that test on the travel vocab, so at least they won't get stranded in a spanish speaking country. if someone bitches about something i have posted for crit, i think--wow--my students all laughed at that stupid joke i told them this morning!

but if i just concentrate on the negative then i don't have a tranquil, crap free place to mentally run to when the s*** comes up. 20 years ago i paid a counselor 65$ an hour for this advice. money well spent---s6
I had to compartmentalize a lot today. The pharmacist that I work under turns into an a**hole when he's stressed, so I have to play Ms. Manners until everything calms down or else the customers will bite my head off. I'm an underpaid liaison. It sucks. Oh well. ;)

ChaosTitan
06-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Congrats on reaching that level of customer service where the raves of an @$$hole can roll right off you. I've only just recently reached that plateau. It's a great place to be. :D

Fraulein
06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Congrats on reaching that level of customer service where the raves of an @$$hole can roll right off you. I've only just recently reached that plateau. It's a great place to be. :D
I know, huh? I never thought I'd get here. People would always talk about it, but it didn't click until now, after years of working retail. :Sun:
It's been a great week so far!