Absolute Write - a collage of memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to read about the really memorable times you've had on AW. I have more than I can count, but I'll start it off with this one from a couple of years ago, give or take:

I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to resize a photo for my avatar and Sara kindly offered to help. I gave her the pic and she worked her magic while I was logged out. What I saw when I logged back in was hilarious.

First, Sara posted the pic and said something to the effect of, "There you go, Carole." The next post was Robieaeaeaea's, if memory serves. He had stolen my pic and put it up as HIS avatar and said, "Why, thank you Sara!"

Well, that started a wave of Carole avatar thefts in the AW neighborhood. I could barely tell who was who and couldn't even find my own posts! This continued for a great while and much merriment was had by all.

Now tell me one of yours. :) Pretty please?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember feeling very unsure of whether I belonged when I arrived here.

Then Kevin mentioned that She's In Parties was one of his favorite songs.

Since then, I've been learning lines in the rain (special effects by lunatic and drinks).

You don't know your true power, K.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
WooHoo! Two of my favorite guys right here! Give me a minute. I'm savoring the moment. :)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
lol. I think I may have been Carol with an E for a short while???
Yes!

I am fond of the hatred I have for Robeieiaeiaieiaeieiaieaieiaeiaie, actually. Does that count?
Everything counts. :)

hehe...

Kevin, who remembers the first time he said, "Carol with an e".

Carole, who still considers that one of the coolest, probably unintentional terms of endearment evah!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'll give another.

Mr. Vagabond was sent with his crew down to work Hurricane Katrina relief, trying to restore phone service. I got a call from him that ended abruptly with a rash of sirens and him saying, "OMG, sweetie, I have to let you go."

Naturally I freaked out and naturally I came here to spout off and look for anyone to talk to me to get me through the waiting - which turned out to be hours - until I heard from him again telling me what happened and that he was ok. I was overwhelmed by everyone who posted in that thread. It was amazing and that was probably when I knew for sure that I was one of you.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I remember the big FRAP that happened with the previous host of the AW site and all the horror of not being to able to log in for days. It was awful! But then, all kinds of people started setting up base camps of AW refugees and started building connections to one another. It was so cool how as the various groups were found that we started relaying information to one another and hanging on to each one, guiding through a dark time in AW history.

There were many, many souls who sacrificially put themselves out to hang onto one another as the site was salvaged and put back together. It was so COOL.

Then, as the battle with the old host ensued, morale was kept up and civility was maintained by well wishes and comraderie.

I was new to AW and I thought the whole experience was incredible.

kid

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite, and one of my earliest memories, of AW, was a member calling himself Galoot. The guy just had a wonderful, sarcastic, in-your-face sense of humor that I truly have missed since he left. I think he stopped posting here about three or four months after I started, which was in March of 2005.

Then there's the story of my having my old account deleted and coming back as some fellow named Ian D. Mecantie, something I now wish I hadn't done. But that's water under the bridge ... I hope. :eek:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it seems like only last winter when there was voting on whether my avatar should be Abba or a Chia Pet...

Isn't there a whole subforum dedicated to AW history? Carole, if you haven't been here much recently, you probably missed it. Go see, I think you'll find it's a hoot. Actually, I think this thread really belongs over there.

A subforum might not even be enough for AW's wonderful and varied history... look at these sites:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/
http://www.liverpoolworldheritage.com/
http://www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/

Don't you think it's about time for an absolutewriteheritage.org site? ;)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here every day, but I don't do a lot of sub-forum surfing. Feeling sentimental yesterday, too. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember a whole slew of us using Fahim's avatar as our own one day.

I no longer have any idea why, but it was fun to be that smart, handsome, and married to Laurie for a day!

Maryn, who still has Fahim's pic in her avatar file

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i've grown a lot since i started here.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, I loved when we were all talking about our pink hair and posting pictures. Then Charlie got in on it and showed all of us his sweet tight pants from, like the 80's. Yeow! LOL. Great times. :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Can I move this lovely list to archive discussion? :D

please???

I love reading this stuff.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, I loved when we were all talking about our pink hair and posting pictures. Then Charlie got in on it and showed all of us his sweet tight pants from, like the 80's. Yeow! LOL. Great times. :)

OMG, I remember that! Jenna even showed up with pics of her with green hair, I think. Green or blue. At any rate, she was rockin it. And omg, the 80s pants. ~laughing~

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I have too many fond memories to recount. but for a few of them...

Dressing up as Haskins for Halloween. With five or six of us doing it, terror hovered over the boards like a black, skeletal fog.

The horrible days of Hello Kittiedom, where Dawno sharpened her jackboots on our heads and we never knew what sparkly pink concoction with whiskers we'd turn out to be next.

The day after the Ohio State-Michigan game, when I tortured a chihuahua for hours and never got in trouble with PETA.

I could list more, but I'll save them for later on. :)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
OH! And LOLCat warz...how could I forget those????

funny-pictures-infinite-lolcat.jpg

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
The time OFG auctioned off Mac's avatar to the highest bidder. I so enjoyed watching Mac waltz about the forums in that adorable pink frock. She shall always be my pink goddess. (There really ought to be an avatar Hall of Fame thread so that we can preserve the memorable ones for eternity.)

The Royalty for a Week thread. One could always count on spewing your coffee at least once when reading that thread. I miss that thread. It brought out the ‘best’ in everyone and the smell of yak permeating the halls of AW was so homey and comforting.

Status
Not open for further replies.