in a quandry.... 5 days to a conference and I didn't finish my manuscript!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a 10 min pitch session for an agent. I'm not going to dig my own grave and tell her I'm done with my novel. I signed up initially thinking I could get it done by then, but I've only finished my first draft at about 200 pages.

Another thing is I really specifically wanted this agent because I sort-of have a connection to her; one of her clients participated in an anthology the publishing house I intern at created.

So... What I'm asking is what should I do? I feel bad that my novel isn't done, and my "upperhand" won't do any good... that I'll be utterly wasting her time (I read a snark post similar to my predicamate). Anyone have some suggestions? Should I just forget about pitching altogether? I'm completely unsure of what to do.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
You could always work your ass off, polish your ms as well as you can, and craft a good pitch.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've finished your rough draft or you still haven't finished your rough? It wasn't clear to me. I would work my fanny off for the next five days, but be honest with the agent when you pitch (Ms is finished, but still being polished).

Last edited:

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Based on an unofficial survey, I would say that about half the people who go to pitch meetings have not finished their novels. So I would devote the next five days to making the first fifty pages as good as can be, and then, when she asks to read it, you have something solid to send, and you can always say you'll send the rest later. But get to work.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Susan Breen. Use your time to really polish up the first three chapters/50 pages.

And be honest. You've finished your first draft and are in the process of revision (you DID polish those three chapters, right?) Oh, and make sure you have a killer 1-2 sentence summary of the novel and a more detailed half page pitch. Memorize the summary and practice it until you can reel it off quite naturally. Keep the half page handy to refer to, as necessary.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Susan Breen. Use your time to really polish up the first three chapters/50 pages.

And be honest. You've finished your first draft and are in the process of revision (you DID polish those three chapters, right?) Oh, and make sure you have a killer 1-2 sentence summary of the novel and a more detailed half page pitch. Memorize the summary and practice it until you can reel it off quite naturally. Keep the half page handy to refer to, as necessary.

the first 20 pages are completely polished. I can definitely get the 30 other pages ready to go. I'm going to drink a lot of caffeine and do a lot of typing in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
People have written ENTIRE NOVELS in less time than this.

Get to work.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I made the mistake of submitting my story to an agent before it was finished. The next day I got a request for a full. I spent the following three days writing 20 000 words, and polishing up the rest of the MS.

It is doable.

It's painful, and you feel like killing yourself at the end, but it is doable.

Good luck!

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
I just spent the last three hours, which I intended to use as writing time, fixing a webpage I've programmed/designed (for free, mind you) for the place that I intern at. Ahhhhh! I'm going to use the next two hours writing my ass off.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
If they have, I'm sure they weren't very good.

You'd be surprised at just how "good" your writing can be written at intense speeds like that.

Second guessing your writing and editting before you are finished can hurt you more than help you sometimes.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
As long as you're within a week or so of finishing even after a mad five-day writing dash, I would not hesitate to go ahead and pitch, even if it isn't absolutely complete. After all, once you've pitched, they'll give you a bit of a chance to get home, catch your breath, and write the query letter mentioning the pitch session before you send it in. HOWEVER, remember that you don't want it to go too long before you send in requested pages.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
I read in multiple places that this agent likes to take the first five pages, so I'm going to take these with me on my pitch. I have a feeling this will really help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.