PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the book - daily writing targets

BlueLucario
06-16-2008, 10:49 AM
I made a personal deadline for the book. My deadline is July 28, 2008. Ever since I started writing on October 29th, 2007, I have currently written about 43,852+ plus scenes I have written outside the book, which makes it an extra5-6k words. My goal is to reach 90k, without going over. Ao That means that I must write at least 1098 words per day, which is about 18 words per minute. I don't kno if I can reach that goal, I've never tried it before. I've known a lot of writers who've written twice as much, so I should have no problems with this.

Susie
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Much good luck, Blue. Bet you'll do it!

dpaterso
06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Calculating things down to "writing 18 words per minute" is just gettin' silly. Don't get fixated on false targets, people will think you're nuts if you go around saying stuff like this. You'll end up spending more time calculating how many words you wrote in the last 37 minutes than you'll spend actually writing!

Round the numbers off instead... you know 1,000 words a day is do-able... and maybe 1,200 on Saturdays & Sundays if you can squeeze it in? Some days you might fall slightly under the target, some days you might be slightly over, that's OK, it'll balance itself out. The more regularly you write, the easier the habit becomes.

Just a thought, 80,000 words is just as reasonable a target for a first novel as 90,000 words.

-Derek

Mumut
06-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I find it strange to consider how many words a book will be. I believe a story is as long as it takes to tell it. So to write more or less to conform to a personal thought on the length could damage the story, I believe.

dpaterso
06-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I find it strange to consider how many words a book will be. I believe a story is as long as it takes to tell it. So to write more or less to conform to a personal thought on the length could damage the story, I believe.
I fully agree, in spirit. :) But, given that publishers set wordcount limits, it's not wrong to have a target wordcount in mind when you set out to write your story. Just a brief glance at Ralan's collected list of specfic book publishers (http://www.ralan.com/publishr/index.htm) available on his most helpful website (http://www.ralan.com), for example, reveals absolute target ranges.

-Derek

BlueLucario
06-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not trying to make it to 90k, but rather keep myself from going over that limit. When I write short stories, I tend to make them too long and never finish.

astonwest
06-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Good luck to you!

scope
06-17-2008, 04:04 AM
When I start to write a manuscript for a target market and genre I have an idea of about how long the work should be at its very end. However, I never set goals of any sorts for myself when writing. I write as much or as little as I think is needed to ultimately produce a work I'm more than happy with. THEN, the rewrites start, and that's when I trim or add to get to the approximate word count needed. For me, to impose restrictions upon myself from the beginning just doesn't work. However, I realize that we all have different processes, and we each should do what works for us.

clara bow
06-17-2008, 06:25 AM
fingers crossed for you!