PDA

View Full Version : The rejections are spreading

mario_c
06-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Or, my life is a series of failures. In addition to no interest in my scripts whatsoever, I've had a record number of rejections for real jobs too. I had a half dozen internal applications for my current company alone, and every one came back this week and they are all NO. On the writer's tip, I got a NO from the big prodco that accepted my full after I applied through movieBytes.
Yeah, just one full. Obviously I suck at being rejected too.
Meanwhile I toil away at a horrible loser masochistic dayjob from hell, I have to move out of my housesitting place sometime in the near future, and I can't buy a condo because it would mean permanent enslavement with my job.
I feel like the biggest loser on earth, and the evidence is piling up that I am. Well thanks for listening to me complain.

Karen Duvall
06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm so sorry, Mario. Have faith things will look up eventually. We all go through a downturn now and again. My husband is fairly certain he'll be fired tomorrow, so I know what you're going through. I guess all I can say is, for the time being, write because you love it. Create because that's who you are. You'll be in my thoughts. Take care!

kuatolives
06-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Life is a numbers game. Submit enough, apply enough, and make a jackass of yourself enough times and good things will happen.

blacbird
06-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Life is a numbers game. Submit enough, apply enough, and make a jackass of yourself enough times and good things will happen.

I've tried this.

It hasn't worked very well. The good things part, I mean. The jackass part has gone okay.

caw

Sirion
06-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh come now, don't be so sad. :(

Tears and talking down to yourself won't get your work through.

"Just keep swimming."

-Travis

Disa
06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Do what I do, take the crap that goes on and use it for inspiration. I've turned two bad incidents into stories this year and it has really helped me to see them from a different perspective. Instead of agonizing over them(as I tend to do) I was able to step outside of it and make it seem less severe. Things will turn around, they always do. Just keep plugging away.

Best wishes to you,
D

Phaeal
06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
There's either a mouse or a FRICKING ENORMOUS CENTIPEDE in my kitchen. I hope it's the mouse. All I saw was a black blur moving at warp speed from under the stove to under the cabinets.

I need some cats.

Life is an untiring supplier of lemons. You know what to do with them, if that creature in the kitchen will let you get to the sugar.

mario_c
06-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks you guys. At least there's nowhere to go but up, right? It does help to know I'm not alone, but not one of the crowd either. Does that make sense?

Phaeal - cats are awesome. But sounds like you need a BB gun for that thing...

mario_c
01-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Going on 4 years since this thread started, and not much has changed. I'm being polite, dammit - nothing has changed. I'm pretty sure nothing ever will.
At least I have you guys to provide me some kind of company as I go down the spiral. Thank you for that.

Jamesaritchie
01-31-2012, 08:29 PM
You know the old saying. "Things look darkest just before they get totally black."

Anyway, though it's a cliche, I've always believed the old saying that happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you get.

But I also believe this. If one person says no, it's them. If two people say no, it's still them. If three people say no, it might be me. If everyone is saying no, it's definitely me, and I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and make some serious changes.

Maybe I need more education, maybe I need to walk away from a job, maybe I need to rethink the way I act, or maybe I need to dump everything I'm doing and start over in another activity, but I'm definitely doing something wrong, and I need to find out what it is and make changes.

Simply put,as Albert Einstein said, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity.

MsJudy
02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
You know the old saying. "Things look darkest just before they get totally black."

Anyway, though it's a cliche, I've always believed the old saying that happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you get.

But I also believe this. If one person says no, it's them. If two people say no, it's still them. If three people say no, it might be me. If everyone is saying no, it's definitely me, and I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and make some serious changes.

Maybe I need more education, maybe I need to walk away from a job, maybe I need to rethink the way I act, or maybe I need to dump everything I'm doing and start over in another activity, but I'm definitely doing something wrong, and I need to find out what it is and make changes.

Simply put,as Albert Einstein said, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity.

QFT.

mario_c
02-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Thank you for that.

Filigree
02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Mario, we've all been there. I don't know which is worse: not having a baseline and being ignorant about one's skill level and realistic prospects, or having decent publishing credits and an editor-blessed mms that *still* can't find a home.

Filigree in Trunksville

mario_c
02-02-2012, 04:03 AM
TY, Filigree.
And to James, yes, I'm applying for more classes. I wish I could walk off my job and move away today, but I need to be able to score more work first, and that is not happening without me being able to show more educational skills (and freelance work, which involves dealing with flakes and ripoff artists).