Great Research Sources

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Any serious writer needs reference material. There is a huge amount of it online and I continually find Wikipedia to be an excellent site.
However, sometimes the truly good stuff was published before the advent of the Internet - you know, back when everything was done with a quill pen and an ink bottle.
I recently dusted two off from a closet shelf -
What's What by Ballantine Books
and
How Things Work by Simon & Schuster (I think it's the same as a similar online reference)

And, then today, while my wife and I were eating at our favorite local diner (I'm not going to tell you what or where because it's already hard enough to get a seat there) when I saw two books that blew me away. Both are published by Reader's Digest"

Stories Behind Everyday Things
and
When, Where, Why and How It Happened.

You can bet I'll search 'til I find both for my reference library. Found the first on Amazon.com!

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I have that "How things Work" I aquired it when my bother in law passed away along with a few other things that only a writer could love :)

Aragon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I cannot say I have a few books like that. I own probably 2000 books on a variety of subjects. For my WIP book set in Farmille, Va, I have about 5 books specifically on the subject. Then, I spent a few hours in the Longwood University library researching through microfilm. Ohh and I use research I find on the internet. Most of what I find in books cannot be found online and several times, what I have found online have led to book purchases.
So, I kind of have an addiction.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a list of internet sites of value to my historical writing. I also keep looking at the ABE Books site. There are hard-to-find books available with translations of old documents not available on the internet, yet.