PDA

View Full Version : Editing the book?

ShannonC_77
06-15-2008, 11:27 AM
This is probably a very beginner question, but I'm just wondering, is editing a non-fiction book (say after you've gotten an agent and it's been accepted by a publisher) strictly up to you? Or does the agent or publisher help with editing?

I'm getting stronger with grammar, but I still am not sure I could fully do it on my own. Is getting the editing done something I would be expected to do all on my own?

Snowstorm
06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
More experienced writers can correct me, but I don't believe an agent or publisher would have your book edited/facts verified. My interpretation of your message is you don't have an agent/publisher. If that's the case, I strongly recommend you have a professional editor or friend with a very strong editing experience edit your book. The more experienced editing eyes you have review your book, the better it'll be, IMHO, before submitting it.

steveg144
06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
It's your job to make it publication-ready. The agent and/or publisher will undoubtedly come back to you with changes they want to see (most of which you will hate having to make), but no, it's not their job to line-edit your work. That's your job.

June Casagrande
06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
My publisher edited and copy-edited my book. They found plenty of typos and made plenty of good suggestions, too. They did not, however, do fact-checking.

None of the traditionally published authors I know of has ever been required to turn in a manuscript publication-ready. (That's for traditional publishing. On demand and self-publishing are different.)

That said, if you want to go the extra mile, you might want to check out a book written by a friend of mine: "The Frugal Editor" at http://www.amazon.com/Editor%253a-Forward-Humiliation-Success-Frugally/dp/B0011EK6VC.

Hope that helps.

scope
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes, yes, yes to what steveq144 said. When you turn in your "final" manuscript YOU must think it is publication-ready, although you will undoubtedly be asked to make changes.

tombookpub
06-16-2008, 05:38 AM
You really want to minimize the chances that an editor will recommend corrections/enhancemensts that may require you to turnaround your entire manuscript, with all these changes, during a short window of time. The better the quality, the less directions you'll receive from the editor for change.

veinglory
06-16-2008, 06:00 AM
I doubt there is a single answer to this, non-fic is a pretty broad field and expectations vary.

tombookpub
06-16-2008, 06:55 AM
I think most editors, across the board, would welcome a well-prepared manuscript. It's less work for them and, in turn, the author who is faced with revisions during often short time frames.

ShannonC_77
06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Perfect, thanks for the responses on this. It definitely answers my question. I know a few people who have done some editorial work, or who are English teachers, so hopefully I can get some help with it.

steveg144
06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes, yes, yes to what steveq144 said. When you turn in your "final" manuscript YOU must think it is publication-ready, although you will undoubtedly be asked to make changes.

Exactly, that was the point I was trying to make. I wanted to wave off anyone who thought they could turn in half-formed crap and expect the publisher to "clean it up" for them. You should believe it is 100% ready to go as-is; that way, the publisher can drill down to the (hopefully) few bits that need cleaning up.

talkwrite
06-26-2008, 12:54 AM
As the series editor I do edit the book for content and our in house editors do their read through magic too. You have to have it with the content as agreed to in our contract and as per the proposal But if you send me something that needs spell check and permissions and the like- I will send it back to you to fix and I won't be happy that you let me down.