Cooking By State

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I love regional cuisine, but something I noticed is that many foods differ from state to state, heck street to street in some cases!

In North Carolina there are several distinct types of BBQ, though Lexington style is considered by many from outside of the area to be 'true NC Style BBQ'. The same with custards, pies, cakes, and so on. I know of at least 8 different ways to make 'wedding punch' !

So, I thought I'd start a thread where you can share your favorite recipes from your hometown/state/grandma. It doesn't matter if the same recipe is listed many times, it's all in how YOU make it!

Title your post your recipes' name (add state, please?), share the recipe, and please (PLEASE!) share the story behind it. Where it came from (town/county), who made it the most, and what it reminds you of when you eat it. (grandma's kitchen, 4th of july parties, christmas, a funeral, a wedding, or even a super sunset you saw)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Oklahoma Macaroni and Tomatoes ala Robbins Clan

Robbins Family Macaroni and Tomatoes

This is one of the staple foods of my side of the family... For those of you who aren't of The South, here's one of the reasons you need to save your bacon grease. This dish, along with Brown Beans and Fried Potatoes, almost defines the Robbins Family. We've all eaten it - some of us eat it weekly. Some of us could eat it every day. Here's my version:

Enough water to cook approximately 1 ½ C macaroni
Salt
2-3 Handfuls of Elbow Macaroni
1 14.5 oz can of Whole, Peeled Tomatoes, cored and crushed
Bacon Grease
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring water to boil, add macaroni and cook al dente - do not overcook. There's nothing worse than swollen pasta!

When done, do NOT drain. Add tomatoes, at least a couple tablespoons of bacon grease (or real butter, though that changes the taste), and add more salt, if needed, and pepper to taste.

(If you're envisioning that glop that's on some buffets, this ain't that. Once the macaroni swells up and soaks up all the juice - it's garbage.)