PDA

View Full Version : What script editing software do you use?

Jon-Luke
06-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi just a fun poll to see what other members are using to write their scrips on. If you have any comments on the program you are using please post them here.

I've been using Final Draft since version 5 and I find it easy and intuitive - I had some issued when I moved from a PC to Mac (Missed having the buttons where you could select CHARACTER, ACTION, SCENE HEADING etc... But I've learnt to use the mac shortcut keys instead). The older versions of Final Draft certainly had some issues; compatibility between Mac & PC, hick ups when converting from US Letter to A4 paper, etc... But now it seems to be quite a stable program if used correctly.

coneflower2001
06-14-2008, 08:25 PM
CeltX ...I was using and paying for ScriptBuddy...but then I found out about Celtx on AW, and loved it.

dpaterso
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I "won" a copy of MM2000 in a ScriptPIMP contest free draw a few years ago, which was rather nice. I've tried the others but still prefer MM for its robustness and user preference flexibility. Each to their own personal choice; they all do the biz. As always it's not the tool that counts, it's the writer. :)

-Derek

alleycat
06-15-2008, 05:29 PM
I use MM mostly, but I have also have a copy of SceneWriter Pro (which I don't care much for). I also find some of the free BBC scripts programs helpful. I use them on my office computer (only during my lunch hour, you understand) because I don't want to load MM on that computer.

WriteKnight
06-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Started on "Scriptware" back in the early nineties... which I'm pretty sure was one of the first. Had great market penetration, but then FD took off. Still use it, fast, easy, flexible.

Meh, you go with what you got.

odocoileus
06-16-2008, 12:52 AM
MM6 on my main computer.

Celtx or Scriptsmart if I'm using some other computer. Celtx in particular comes in handy b/c I can download it to wherever I'm working.

stuckupmyownera
06-16-2008, 04:01 AM
I've always used Screenforge and it's great. I've discovered Celtx recently and although it has some really useful features, it lacks a lot of auto-correction and auto-formatting stuff I've become used to, which is a pain! The page count works out slightly higher in Celtx too.

Jon-Luke
06-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm surprised Final Draft seems to be the least used and yet it seems to be marketed the most and the most readily available...

dpaterso
06-16-2008, 10:37 PM
You really can't go by what 10 voters say. :) While Celtx is finding fans among new aspiring screenwriters, FD and MM are well-established tools favored and endorsed by many pros and long-time aspiring screenwriters, who aren't going to change their habits on a whim.

-Derek

icerose
06-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I use FD because a friend gave me their copy after only having it a couple of weeks and decided not to go into script writing. I love it, it's easy to use, but expensive, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Steven Howard
06-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Celtx is free and it runs on Linux, which is also free. That's a big draw for amateurs like me.

Jon-Luke
07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I've been looking a Celtx, as an AD I find the story boarding option to be quite interesting, does anyone know if you can change the fonts and the layout of the storyboards?

Shaun P. Spratling
12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
I found CeltX while I was trying to avoid spending 200 bucks on Final Draft, and while it's a very good program, it's open source. And while open source can be good, it always lacks in a lot of areas, especially documentation. And I found that I just didn't need all of the other pre-production features, which rendered it kind of pointless. I broke down and bought Final Draft 7 for the Mac, and it is expensive as hell, but it was worth it. It is easily the easiest and strongest screenwriting program on the market. I guess I could have just pirated it, but I prefer the software people get paid for their work.

scan2001
01-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Final Draft is the way to go. It is expensive, but it worth every cent.

slm22186
01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm using Final Draft. I like it. You still have to format a bit but overall it's a good program :).

bbsan
01-15-2009, 02:59 AM
Final Draft was given to me by an author who thought I showed promise and talent.

I'm still hoping he was right.

sekime
11-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Fade In Pro

MyBrainReallyHurts
11-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Scrivener for the research/outline/treatment. Celtx to write the actual script. Maybe one Christmas I will treat myself to Final Draft.

aikigypsy
11-18-2012, 11:29 PM
CeltX because it's free, and I'm just trying out screenwriting (I mostly write novels and short non-fiction).

Barking Tree
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Scrivener for research/treatment/planning and Fade In Pro for the script.

Summonere
11-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Open Office. Yeah. I format everything manually, same way I did with Microsoft Word.

lefty23
01-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Movie magic for me. Used to have final draft but took an online class at UCLA and MM was required. I guess i've just gotten used to it because i still use it.

KarmaHead
02-08-2013, 04:16 AM
I use Celtx for a first draft or for short scripts I plan to use, and FD for feature scripts and any final scripts.

I prefer Celtx out of the two, though.

thorjansen
02-08-2013, 04:35 AM
I futzed around with Fade In (http://www.fadeinpro.com/) for a bit, just out of curiosity really. Not free, but pretty cheap. I have no idea how people rate this software, I have MM too (though it only works on my PPC until I upgrade).

juniper
04-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Anyone use "Save the Cat" software, based on the book by Blake Snyder?

https://www.writersstore.com/save-the-cat-screeenplay-structure-software/?et_mid=614065&rid=233816951

cbenoi1
04-26-2013, 04:34 AM
Blake died in 2009, leaving the software in a state of limbo as nobody is actively promoting it. I have my doubt about support & upgrades.

-cb

Arcana
07-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Celt-x was free, which is a big plus for me, and really easy to learn and use. Before I downloaded it, I did a lot of 'industry' research and it was still pretty respectable.

Robert Elisberg
07-21-2013, 09:17 AM
I've written the tech review column for the Writers Guild of America going back about 15 years at this point. Last year, I did a review of screenwriting software -- though it wasn't posted on the WGA website, but rather in my column for the Huffington Post. (The Writers Guild didn't want to be seen endorsing on piece of software over another.)

My preference is Movie Magic Screenwriter. To be clear, as I say in the article, both it and Final Draft -- the two Industry leading software -- are wonderful, and a lot is personal choice. But there are specific reasons that I prefer MMS. You can see the full article by clicking here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-j-elisberg/the-writers-workbench-scr_b_1341785.html).

One important point: unless you're working in the film and TV industry and need software that's compatible with others in the office, there's no real need to use something just because it's used in Hollywood. If something works for you, and it's free or cheap, then it's worth using. You can always just save the file as a PDF and send that out to people.

It's also my observation that most people will defend to the death the software they use, claiming it the best and a gift from God. But usually, they haven't used others.

Screenwriting
09-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Great poll. I find the results unsurprising as to Final Draft being the leader, but it is an interesting surprise that CeltX has overtaken Movie Magic Screenwriter.

I was the editor of Creative Screenwriting Magazine for five years, and I remember when Celtx came on the scene. How its use has grown!

I am doing a poll of my own -- not of screenwriting software , but of several other services screenwriters use (pitchfests, contests, books, consultants, etc.). I plan to publish the results in an e-book, which I will offer for sale. However, anyone who takes my survey gets a free copy. If you want to take the survey, go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/screenwritingratings

Saul Rothman
10-05-2013, 11:45 PM
FD is the only software I've tried, but I love it.

Saulisa

D-N-K
10-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Final Draft.

I like it, it's easy.

zebedee
10-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Celtx. Started using it because it was free, paid for the upgrade to support the software.

Wanted to try FD but couldn't afford it.

D-N-K
10-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Wanted to try FD but couldn't afford it.

The price for a software such as FD is too high. I think it goes for about 180 dollars.

Celtx is a much better alternative. I wouldn't recommend to anyone paying so much money for FD when there is free software out there.