Shotgunned Too Many Queries (What to do?)

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
So as the title says, I think I’ve sent out too many queries (over 100), exhausting my list of possible agencies. I realized I should have sent them out in batches, and tweaked each subsequent one, as is often the advice on here, because I am not exactly sure how enticing the query is. My mentor, a published novelist, ensures me the query is well written. Still I am not sure. Maybe I am just being obsessive and neurotic. In any case, the good news is that three agencies requested fulls and one a partial. Plus, it’s just been a little over a month since I began querying agencies altogether…Nonetheless, I am already growing impatient over waiting. I want to do something, even if it is only to distract myself from the wait. With that said, I was wondering if anyone could help with these questions:

-What are the pros and cons of querying agencies in the UK or Canada?

And for those who have successfully found an agent:

-How long did it take you to get signed to an agency? Can you tell me a little about the entire process? Do you have any advice? Was the wait as excruciating for you as it is for me?—Part of me feels I can’t embark upon my next novel until this business aspect is done…Did you ever feel the same way?

-Can you perhaps take a look at my cover letter? If yes, I’d prefer to PM it to you, as I don’t want to post personal information up on here.

[FONT=&quot] Thanks in advance! =][/FONT]

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Plus, it’s just been a little over a month since I began querying agencies altogether…Nonetheless, I am already growing impatient over waiting.

If a month makes you impatient, this does not bode well. A month is nothing when it comes to the publishing industry.

I want to do something, even if it is only to distract myself from the wait.

Start the next book.

How long did it take you to get signed to an agency?

For my manuscript (and it wasn't the first one I completed), I sent out about thirty queries in 2003 and got some good feedback from one agency. Revised. Real life intervened and I spent three years doing other things. In 2007 I reworked the query and sent it out again (20 queries in total). Rewriting the query turned out to be the right move, since I got five requests for partials and one for a full. The agent who asked for the full offered me representation.

Part of me feels I can’t embark upon my next novel until this business aspect is done…Did you ever feel the same way?

No. If I'd felt that way, I'd still have just the one manuscript. Worse still, I'd be desperate, because all my hopes would be pinned on that and that alone. Now, though, I'm reworking it on advice from editors and bearing in mind that even if it doesn't sell, I've got two other books which are even better and good to go. If you wait until you've exhausted every agency and publisher before you start writing again, you'll have wasted valuable time and your writing skills may go rusty from lack of use.

I didn't really have a choice about starting the next novel and the next, though. The stories were bursting to get out; it wasn't something I could suppress. Plus, when my agent heard that I'd written a sequel and had nearly completed an unrelated book, she said that was good - so they like that you've got other work in the pipeline.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to AW. I did not see you in the Newbie thread.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a month makes you impatient, this does not bode well. A month is nothing when it comes to the publishing industry.

Ah, but it's the first month, Queen of Swords.

HumbleWriter, QoS has given you excellent advice. Still, I recognize your pain. For the first few months of this process I couldn't do anything but query and check my email and mailbox. I am the most impatient person on the planet (so verifies the hubby), but that did settle down in time to a place where I could write. I just needed to adjust to this process a little.

I wouldn't recommend looking for other venues to query just yet. As you touched upon, the query could still need tweaking. If it's only been a month, you've still got some responses to wait for. Some of my best query advice came in the form of rejection letters (some of them with very specific feedback about the query itself). I suggest you let it sit for a bit. You've got some requests, that's great, and you don't want to deplete Canada and the UK this early in the game!

:welcome:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
HumbleWriter,

I know it's easy for me to say, but you have to slow yourself down. As everyone has said, its only been a month---that's about 30 seconds in publishing industry time. Most agents and publishers move excruciatingly slow, but a few do more relatively fast. The answers will come when they do, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it now. I don't expect this will make you any less anxious, but hearing the same basic thoughts from a bunch of people might put things into perspective. Definitely move on to your next work as you wait for relies. Doing so will be productive and to some degree alleviate the current situation.

I had offers from a few agents within a month or so, but it took me about another month to get answers to questions and meet with a couple of the agents before deciding upon the ONE.

I know nothing about UK or Canadian agents, sorry.

Good Luck.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
The Canadian publishing industry is small when compared to the UK and US. Adult novels tend to be literary (Margaret Attwood) and most publish YA coming-of-age type novels. Some Canadian publishers will publish only Canadians. Canadian agents often submit to US and UK publishers. That's if they even answer your query.

You can check out some here: http://everyonewhosanyone.com/aguk2.html

Good luck! Truly, a month of waiting is nothing at all in this industry.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think a month is pretty long so you should expect to get a rush of responses pretty soon. And if it has been requested by a few already, chances are it is going to be requested by a few more. I think sending queries out in small batches sometimes can make the process take longer. If the agent you are going to end up with did not get your query until the 8th batch, then you wasted time. So don't worry that you sent it out to so many. It's out there, really out there. However, I would not start contacting agents outside the US just yet. If you have some agents reading your stuff, you could get a call any day with an offer over here. Good luck.

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Start the next book.
Point taken, QOS. If I may ask--I don't know what the convention is on this, as does agency name count as personal information--who did you sign with?

How do you like your popcorn?
With lots of butter. =]

Ah, but it's the first month, Queen of Swords.

HumbleWriter, QoS has given you excellent advice. Still, I recognize your pain. For the first few months of this process I couldn't do anything but query and check my email and mailbox. I am the most impatient person on the planet (so verifies the hubby), but that did settle down in time to a place where I could write. I just needed to adjust to this process a little.

I think you nailed it on the head, GB. I'll probably forget about all the queries, partials, and fulls out once I immerse myself into my next work, which I hope to do soon.

As everyone has said, its only been a month---that's about 30 seconds in publishing industry time.

Scope, I quoted that exact sentence to all the people in my camp who are unaware that this business moves in slow motion. Perhaps saying it to them will bring me closer to fully realizing it. And, if I may ask, who did you sign with Scope?

The Canadian publishing industry is small when compared to the UK and US. Adult novels tend to be literary (Margaret Attwood) and most publish YA coming-of-age type novels. Some Canadian publishers will publish only Canadians. Canadian agents often submit to US and UK publishers. That's if they even answer your query.

You can check out some here: http://everyonewhosanyone.com/aguk2.html

Thanks for the information Carmy. Would you by any chance know of a database exclusively for Canadian or UK agencies?

However, I would not start contacting agents outside the US just yet. If you have some agents reading your stuff, you could get a call any day with an offer over here.

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off Gettingby, at least until this round of US queries is said and done.

Thank you everyone! Does anyone have any more thoughts on any of this?

madmumbler

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tymberdalton.com
In any case, the good news is that three agencies requested fulls and one a partial. Plus, it’s just been a little over a month since I began querying agencies altogether…Nonetheless, I am already growing impatient over waiting.

I've had replies to queries well over two months after sending the email. That's not uncommon.

Do you have any advice? Was the wait as excruciating for you as it is for me?—Part of me feels I can’t embark upon my next novel until this business aspect is done…Did you ever feel the same way?

Yes it's excruciating.

Advice - write the next book. I've got two other complete mss I'm in the process of querying, two more that are "done" but I want to go back one more time before I query them, and about...oh...TWENTY (at least) wip that I'm working on at any given time.

Mind you, I've been writing fiction for over 20 years, BUT, I didn't seriously start to try to market my fiction until the past six months. I was too busy with a "real job" and frankly, didn't have the time to put into marketing/querying. Then a few years ago I started writing software tutorials (self-publishing through Lulu and my own website) and my dh actively started nudging me to de-mothball the fiction and start trying to market it. And now that's where I'm at.

Last edited:

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
This is only going to work for you if your novel will work in the UK market

Aside from having British spelling or actually being set in the UK, what would this necessarily entail?

Thanks waylander :)

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Mind you, I've been writing fiction for over 20 years, BUT, I didn't seriously start to try to market my fiction until the past six months. I was too busy with a "real job" and frankly, didn't have the time to put into marketing/querying. Then a few years ago I started writing software tutorials (self-publishing through Lulu and my own website) and my dh actively started nudging me to de-mothball the fiction and start trying to market it. And now that's where I'm at.

Wow, you must have a lot of experience, madmumbler. How is the hunt for an agent going for you so far?

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind sharing. My agent is Ellen Pepus.

Ah! I got a form rejection from her. In any case, I'm curious whether people on AW get agent referrals from AW members. AW has been amazing so far, but that would seriously make this community awesome beyond belief :)

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Carmy. Would you by any chance know of a database exclusively for Canadian or UK agencies?

Apart from the one mentioned in my erlier reply, you could take a look at this site: http://www.writers.net/agents/country/39/

Don't be surprised if you never hear back from most of them.

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if you never hear back from most of them.

haha, that's not a problem. I'm getting used to it. Anyways, thanks for the information Carmy, I'm going to check it out soon. I owe ya one ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from having British spelling or actually being set in the UK, what would this necessarily entail?

Thanks waylander :)

It depends so much on what your novel is about. There are whole genres that sell well in the US that simply aren't published by the major UK publishing houses. Christian Inspirational and Military SF to name two.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Scope, I quoted that exact sentence to all the people in my camp who are unaware that this business moves in slow motion. Perhaps saying it to them will bring me closer to fully realizing it. And, if I may ask, who did you sign with Scope?

I signed with Folio Literary Management.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I'm with Folio also. Getting an agent does not guarantee instant sale - but it is the next step, and an important one, toward publication. It took me eleven years to get my agent, and the manuscript she has now was rewritten no less than 50 times.

As Scope said, the publishing industry moves at a snail's pace. Best to keep working on something else while you wait.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Ah! I got a form rejection from her. In any case, I'm curious whether people on AW get agent referrals from AW members. AW has been amazing so far, but that would seriously make this community awesome beyond belief :)

In my case I did get a referral from an AW member (and one from a friend outside AW) but ended up signing with someone else who I queried on my own (Chris Lotts from Ralph Vicinanza, since I know you'll ask ;)).

The thing about referrals is, you're putting yourself on the line in giving one. I don't know anyone who would simply refer someone to their agent without having read the book, without really, firmly believing the book would sell, without really firmly believing their agent would genuinely like and be excited by it. Asking for an agent referral is asking a LOT from someone; it's not like recommending a good dentist.

But if it makes you feel any better I had a hard time writing something new while doing my agent search; I always do. Once responses started coming in I calmed down a bit and was able to start thinking of other things, but I still didn't start a new project--I'd finished the second book in a published series and started the book I was querying the same night, plus worked on several smaller projects and cowritten projects during that time. In five months I'd written something like 250,000 words, and was ready to take a break. :)

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It took me eleven years to get my agent, and the manuscript she has now was rewritten no less than 50 times.

Wow. I need your patience and resilience. :)

HumbleWriter

Registered
Reaction score
In my case I did get a referral from an AW member (and one from a friend outside AW) but ended up signing with someone else who I queried on my own (Chris Lotts from Ralph Vicinanza, since I know you'll ask ).

So I guess some networking through AW is successful?

The thing about referrals is, you're putting yourself on the line in giving one. I don't know anyone who would simply refer someone to their agent without having read the book, without really, firmly believing the book would sell, without really firmly believing their agent would genuinely like and be excited by it. Asking for an agent referral is asking a LOT from someone; it's not like recommending a good dentist.

Nicely put.

But if it makes you feel any better I had a hard time writing something new while doing my agent search; I always do. Once responses started coming in I calmed down a bit and was able to start thinking of other things, but I still didn't start a new project--I'd finished the second book in a published series and started the book I was querying the same night, plus worked on several smaller projects and cowritten projects during that time. In five months I'd written something like 250,000 words, and was ready to take a break.

Curious: How long did it take from sending out queries to getting inked to your agency?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
So I guess some networking through AW is successful?

Well, it was successful in that I made a good friend from here--a regular email chat kind of friend, who actually visited me last fall--who read and loved my book and recommended it to her agent. But I didn't sign with her agent in the end.

Curious: How long did it take from sending out queries to getting inked to your agency?

From when I started querying it was a few weeks--I sent the referrals out before any others, so if those are included it was maybe seven weeks altogether. With my actual agent it was two days. I have the whole story here:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95970

But keep in mind that's unusual; I know of at least one writer here who queried for something like a year before getting an agent, and her book sold superfast.

Last edited: