PDA

View Full Version : What Women Want (Maybe)

jst5150
06-13-2008, 09:51 PM
So say scientists at the frontiers of research on the eternal question of what women find erotic, the latest answer to which seems to be: not naked guys, or at least not simply naked guys.

“For heterosexual women,” a researcher, Meredith Chivers, says in a new documentary about bisexuality called “Bi the Way,” which was shown at the NewFest film festival in New York last Friday, “looking at a naked man walking on the beach is about as exciting as looking at landscapes.”

And there's even a photo of Lindsey Lohan to boot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/fashion/12bisex.html?_r=2&ref=fashion&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Any thoughts?

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
They're lying. I saw them gawking at my butt.

:)

jannawrites
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I'd say, for me, the bolded part above is a fair statement.

ETA: Women, as far as I know, don't get excited by merely looking, like men do.

jst5150
06-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Another reason to add credence to the litany of women I've heard say that they would rather wrinkle some sheets with Angelina Jolie instead of George Clooney. ;)

Jcomp
06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
At the same time, I've heard that every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man... coincidence?

tiny
06-13-2008, 10:02 PM
And there's even a photo of Lindsey Lohan to boot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/fashion/12bisex.html?_r=2&ref=fashion&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Any thoughts?

Maybe they just aren't looking at the right naked man. :D

jannawrites
06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Right on, KrystalR.

JoNightshade
06-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Same here. Naked men, meh. Man dressed in a perfectly tailored suit? Mmm.

jannawrites
06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Take my avatar, for instance. He's fully-clothed (and young) and looking good (and young), and I really like looking at that picture. Yeah, yeah. I know he's young.

;)

WendyNYC
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Take my avatar, for instance. He's fully-clothed (and young) and looking good (and young), and I really like looking at that picture. Yeah, yeah. I know he's young.

;)

Cradlerobber!

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
What really matters to women [snip] is not the gender of the actor, but the degree of sensuality.

I could pretty much agree with this. But if the man naked on the beach is really fine, it uh, qualifies as sensual to me.

Libbie
06-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Teller.

BEYOND HOT. (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eSYdXLgyf3w5/610x.jpg)

Seriously, ladies. Try to resist him. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_qQX-jayixQ) You can't. This man needs no naked-walking on any beaches.

qwerty
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
But, but, but - my husband of 40 years (no, I don't mean he's 40, we've been married for 40 years) still turns me on with a naked butt.

Oh sh***, what does that make me?

CACTUSWENDY
06-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Men can be so sexy when dressed right. Naked...naw. Men wonder why women laugh when they see a naked man. lol....(Will keep that data a secret.)

And why would a guy think a gal would like to see a naked man all sweaty? lol

Just my two cents.

jennifer75
06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Totally diggin these female threads.....TOTALLY LOVIN IT!!!!

I'd rather see a fireman leaned up against a pole, fully dressed, looking hott, than see him walking naked on the beach.

I don't look at playgirl. I'm not interested in seeing his "member". I'd rather see a GQ magazine than G-Cock. Hehe.

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I know I'm totally opposite of most women on this, but a fine naked guy steals my breath. I love the male form. I appreciate it, with or without clothing.

I've been told many times in my life that my brain is hardwired like a guy's. . .maybe it is true.

althrasher
06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Naked guys look silly to me. Sorry, but they do.

However, Daniel Craig in a tuxedo...oh yes.

JoNightshade
But, but, but - my husband of 40 years (no, I don't mean he's 40, we've been married for 40 years) still turns me on with a naked butt.

:ROFL:I think you're okay. I also enjoy my hubby's butt quite a bit. ;) But I think it's not so much that it's a butt as that it's HIS butt. (I never notice other guys' butts!)

jannawrites
...I'd rather see a GQ magazine...

Speaking of, I saw Shia LaBeouf on this month's cover at the newstand. Homina, homina, homina...

Cripes! What is with me and these younger fellas?

jennifer75
06-13-2008, 10:22 PM

Exactly, our partners/spouses, will look great to us naked, because we love them and we love being with them, and we love seeing them. They may not look how they looked when we first met them, but hey, most of us don't either. :P

RLB
06-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I always tell my husband I married him for his butt and his insurance. But the sight of him in a suit or even jeans and the right shirt can still take my breath away.

*goes to check how long until husband is home*

James81
06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
This is not new.

Women are more stimulated by touch. Men are visually stimulated. This has been know for years.

(this is not to say that a woman doesn't get turned on by looking at a hot guy or that a man doesn't get turned on by a woman's touch)

Sarita
06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Doesn't it depend of the man? If it's just some random guy, it's probably not going to trip my trigger. But if it's someone that I'm already turned on by... And he was doing yoga? On the beach? I mean. Yoga. Beach. Hot Guy. Naked. Yes, please.

jst5150
06-13-2008, 10:25 PM
And he was doing yoga? On the beach? I mean. Yoga. Beach. Hot Guy. Naked. Yes, please.
Wow. Talk about your needle in the haystack. :)

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Doesn't it depend of the man? If it's just some random guy, it's probably not going to trip my trigger. But if it's someone that I'm already turned on by... And he was doing yoga? On the beach? I mean. Yoga. Beach. Hot Guy. Naked. Yes, please.

Stop disturbing me. I'm doing yoga on the beach.

writerterri
06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
They're lying. I saw them gawking at my butt.

Oh, snap! I didn't think you'd recognise me in that hot dog suit.

Sarita
06-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow. Talk about your needle in the haystack. :)
Don't I know it. :)

jst5150
06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Don't I know it. :)
Well, there's always ...

http://media.iimageworld.com/share/pic/Movies/the-love-guru/normal_the-love-guru-1.jpg

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Naked men...definitely NOT a turn on for me. The male form is so (to quote Senfield here) utilitarian. Now if that guy has a sense of humor, can carry on a good conversation about a wide variety of subjects and a nicely clothed bod...well then I'll ponder not laughing at him when he gets naked.

Jcomp
06-13-2008, 10:29 PM

Yoga seems like it would put a naked guy in positions that even curious, alien scientists would be too frightened to look at...

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Naked men...definitely NOT a turn on for me. The male form is so (to quote Senfield here) utilitarian. Now if that guy has a sense of humor, can carry on a good conversation about a wide variety of subjects and a nicely clothed bod...well then I'll ponder not laughing at him when he gets naked.

Guess I won't be rolling around naked with you. ;)

James81
06-13-2008, 10:34 PM

See, I tend to think backwards with that logic when it comes to women.

A good naked woman will stoke my fire like nothing else, but put some clothes on her, give her some humor and some smarts, and I'll stop laughing at her when she tries to talk.

tjwriter
06-13-2008, 10:34 PM
What turns me on the most is coming home to find my husband did some housework, the dishes and washed a couple loads of laundry.

It'll really make me hot...

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
did your hubby do some housework a few months ago tj?
I'm just sayin'

RLB
06-13-2008, 10:37 PM
What turns me on the most is coming home to find my husband did some housework, the dishes and washed a couple loads of laundry.

It'll really make me hot...

That's a long-standing joke in our marriage. I always pounce on him when he's standing in front of the washer. I just can't resist.

NeuroFizz
06-13-2008, 10:38 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81/NeuroFizz/Engineers_View.jpg.

writerterri
06-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Yoga seems like it would put a naked guy in positions that even curious, alien scientists would be too frightened to look at...

Reminds me of limp noodles. Not as nice to look at as the stif... har... erec... uncooked type.

knowwhatimean?

Given you're female and all.

You know, I was okay before I entered this thread. Now, I'll have to put in a call for a nooner and make a trip to the store for fudge pops.

Thanks.

BTW

Watching a sharp dressed man undress is way better. I love presents. Especially when he stops at the shirt and crawls his way to me in the bed and....

:whip::e2seesaw::e2photo::e2heartbe:e2cloud9::e2fa iry::e2chain::e2brows::e2kissy::e2headban:e2thud:: e2tongue::Headbang::Hail::Clap::hat:

all in that order.

I'm very unstable right now. Someone hold me. :D

WendyNYC

Totally. I'm now picturing maestro in downward facing dog.

Watch out for the sand.

rhymegirl
Doesn't it depend on the man? If it's just some random guy, it's probably not going to trip my trigger. But if it's someone that I'm already turned on by... And he was doing yoga? On the beach? I mean. Yoga. Beach. Hot Guy. Naked. Yes, please.

Yes, it does depend on the man.

I don't like it when these studies or people try to generalize about women as a whole. For one thing, I think we're all individuals and get turned on by different things, different people, different scenarios.

Is a man going to be turned on by an overweight, flabby naked woman walking on the beach? I doubt it. And a woman isn't going to be turned on by an overweight, flabby guy walking on the beach. Or an old guy.

An attractive, in-shape naked guy walking on the beach? Yes, some of us will be watching. And some won't.

I don't think it's fair to say that women are not visual.

Kitrianna
ROFLMAO Nuero. Looks accurate...

tjwriter
06-13-2008, 10:41 PM
did your hubby do some housework a few months ago tj?
I'm just sayin'

Are you saying I look a little thick around the middle?

(He probably didn't. More likely I just felt sorry for him. I can't remember.)

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Exactly. Way too complicated. Just give us men a naked body, and we're set to go.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Some men don't even need said body to be naked...

TerzaRima
06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
So say scientists at the frontiers of research on the eternal question of what women find erotic

Now that's a grant proposal I'd like to see.

And we needed a study to learn that female ideas of eroticism are context-dependent? "In other news, the Center for Disease Control announced Monday that water is wet."

jst5150
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
I think for 8 out of 10 of us, if you just draw a stick figure with the half-circles and the letter 'V' in the right place, we're good.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
ROFLMFAO!

NeuroFizz
06-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Reminds me of limp noodles. Not as nice to look at as the stif... har... erec... uncooked type.
There is no way a guy can walk across the bedroom in full bloom, with that thing slapping against his tummy, without busting out laughing or feeling about as uncool as a guy can feel.

Of course, Ray will probably claim his takes so much blood there is no way he can stand up and walk, and so much skin he couldn't bend his knees anyway.

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I think for 8 out of 10 of us, if you just draw a stick figure with the half-circles and the letter 'V' in the right place, we're good.

I have standards!

The V can't be upside down.

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 10:47 PM
RG, I don't like being lumped in with a stereotype either, but it's there because it is mostly true. This one frustrates me because I can't wrap my head around NOT finding the male form completely and wonderfully intoxicating. Why is it that artists can see the beauty in the female form and not see the wonder and power and enchantment of the naked male? Why is it not just as provocative, just as precious?

I don't get it. I never will.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Have mercy guys! I'm trying to drink my Timmie's before it gets cold, not spray it all over the screen from laughing at y`all.

jst5150
06-13-2008, 10:49 PM
There is no way a guy can walk across the bedroom in full bloom, with that thing slapping against his tummy, without busting out laughing or feeling about as uncool as a guy can feel.
Fizz, it's difficult enough when the flag is not at full mast.

jennifer75
06-13-2008, 10:49 PM
with that thing slapping against his tummy,

Tummy?????????????????

tiny
06-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm with Story, wired like a guy. The right man is hot naked or clothed. Rather look at him than any old landscape any day of the week. And a suit does NOTHING for me, but stick him under the hood of a car with grease under his fingernails and I might just maul him.

writerterri

There's one, little, soft, warm, slippery button they forgot. That's our favorite one. Shuts us right up, mostly. Not towrds the end though. Inwhich we start bossing you around. In a good way.

jennifer75
Oh, I get it now.

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
RG, I don't like being lumped in with a stereotype either, but it's there because it is mostly true. This one frustrates me because I can't wrap my head around NOT finding the male form completely and wonderfully intoxicating. Why is it that artists can see the beauty in the female form and not see the wonder and power and enchantment of the naked male? Why is it not just as provocative, just as precious?

Judging from all the new advertising out there, I think they have [re]discovered the male nudity. And I hardly think their audiences are mostly gay men.

jannawrites
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM

That's fantastically funny!

And in hopes of balancing my stance a bit, I do like men who are older than me. Hugh Jackman, Mike Rowe and Sam Elliott to name a few. Grrr.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Younger guys = eye candy and I don't like candy (or anything else sweet really).
Older men = a well cultivated garden. Flowers, I like...a lot. and Teddy bears...big ole squishy teddy bears...like Kthrok.

Shadow_Ferret
06-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I thought we've known this for decades. Thus the analogies that women are like crockpots and men are like microwaves.

How much did someone pay to have this study done?

Maybe the scientists just wanted to look at naked pictures and used this trumped up study as an excuse.

cray
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
note to men reading this thread thinking they will learn something ~~~~

their answers will change tomorrow.
so, you know,...

writerterri
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM

Of course, Ray will probably claim his takes so much blood there is no way he can stand up and walk, and so much skin he couldn't bend his knees anyway.

I'd rather have that thing saluting me while coming at me than resting against his southern globes.

And that thing about Ray, :roll:

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
cray is disillusioned, don't listen to him. Our answers will change in an hour, not tomorrow...

rhymegirl
06-13-2008, 10:59 PM
My, your battery has gotten so much bigger lately, Mr. Cray.

jst5150
06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah but ya still need three to power a flashlight. :)

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM

That's the power of microscope.

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
note to men reading this thread thinking they will learn something ~~~~

their answers will change tomorrow.
so, you know,...

But for now, get naked.

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 11:02 PM
But for now, get naked.

Please rephrase this sentence with a dangling participle.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Ok, I'm too married for this thread...

jst5150
06-13-2008, 11:04 PM
WARNING: THREAD SPIRALING! THREAD SPIRALING! EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

http://aeweb.tamu.edu/aeroel/Gallery/Interest/eject0.jpg

maestrowork
06-13-2008, 11:05 PM
EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

A bit too premature, don't you think?

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Please rephrase this sentence with a dangling participle.

I don't have one, but you do. :hooray:

Go ahead, I'll wait...

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Ok, I'm too married for this thread...

Does that mean you'll be lurking only?

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 11:10 PM
ROFLMFAO @ Maestro! No...I'll just be watching. Lurking is rude...

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Looks like all the guys went for showers.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I think they need them after that premature *cough* ejection...

jst5150
06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I think they need them after that premature *cough* ejection...
No.

Something else just walked by with bigger half circles and smaller letter 'V's. ;)

Jcomp
06-13-2008, 11:17 PM
There's one, little, soft, warm, slippery button they forgot. That's our favorite one. Shuts us right up, mostly. Not towrds the end though. Inwhich we start bossing you around. In a good way.

Too much blood rushing from my brain... can't think of... clever innuendo...

qwerty
06-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Why is it that artists can see the beauty in the female form and not see the wonder and power and enchantment of the naked male? Why is it not just as provocative, just as precious?

Maybe artists have been on a nudie beach and seen guys playing frisbee. I mean, boobs bouncing around are one thing . . .

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Ummm, I thought men only used the lower head for all brain function :tongue...

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 11:22 PM
:D

(Took me forever to get this. I read it, oh, about five times)

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:23 PM
No.

Something else just walked by with bigger half circles and smaller letter 'V's. ;)

I told grandma to get in the house. Sorry.

Too much blood rushing from my brain... can't think of... clever innuendo...

Don't think, Mama's got this one...

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
:D

(Took me forever to get this. I read it, oh, about five times)

:ROFL:You dork!

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Play nice kids. I'll be back next week...

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
:ROFL:You dork!
In my defense, I was preoccupied with mental images of naked men.

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Play nice kids. I'll be back next week...

No way and see you then.

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
In my defense, I was preoccupied with mental images of naked men.

That coupon's expired, sorry. Dork still stands.

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Don't think, Mama's got this one...

:ROFL:
Terri, you're gonna give the poor man a heart attack (not that he'll complain).

writerterri
06-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Terri, you're gonna give the poor man a heart attack (not that he'll complain).

It's so what men want to hear, isn't it?

saps.

What a great ending to what women want to see.

Lock this filthy thang.

Red-Green
06-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Please, my answers changed in the 4 minutes it took me to skim the last 2 pages of posts.

Our answers will change in an hour, not tomorrow...

I do have to say, though, that "eye candy" doesn't do anything for me. Those perfect male bodies that one does see in advertising these days are just a little too perfect. I like to look at a naked man who looks a bit broken in and like he has other things to do besides abdominal crunches. Of course, as revealed in an earlier celebrity crush thread, I don't have the most conventional taste in men. Still, I like them naked.

Kitrianna
06-13-2008, 11:56 PM
And here I thought that I was going to get in trouble for revealing that little secret...oh wait, it's not one. Any guy in a relationship could tell them that...
Ok, now I really am off for the weekend. Kthrok is getting off of work in 5 minutes.
Adios!

StoryG27
06-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't have the most conventional taste in men. Still, I like them naked.
Join the club!

No really, here's the application, the new member goodie bag, and I'll teach you the secret handshake after initiation.

Red-Green
06-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Er...the secret "handshake" isn't going to make a mess, is it? :D

Join the club! No really, here's the application, the new member goodie bag, and I'll teach you the secret handshake after initiation.

KTC
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM

I am so much more complicated than that. You're forgetting about the Go Go Gadget... er, never mind.

HeronW
06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Recalling my days of visiting Chippendales with my friend who brought her mother & aunt one time.

"Oh those nice boys!" sez Auntie in her late 70ies.

Rock on Auntie!

StoryG27
06-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Er...the secret "handshake" isn't going to make a mess, is it? :D

pconsidine
06-14-2008, 01:47 AM
So wait – not only do I have to compete with other men to get a woman, I have to compete with other women, too?!

:rant:

Fergit it.

Silver King
06-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Strangely, when I posted a semi-nude photo of a younger version of myself some time ago, I received numerous comments, mostly from women, asking why I had cropped the shot in such a demure fashion, and if I didn't mind, could I please e-mail the original image to, IAmJustCuriousAndInNoWayWillThePhotoTurnMeOn @gmail.com (IAmJustCuriousAndInNoWayWillThePhotoTurnMeOn@gmai l.com).

A woman I once dated never wore clothes inside her apartment. She'd greet me at the door nude, and I felt obliged to remove my clothing upon entering. It was exciting at first, but after a while, it became routine as even the most mundane things, such as washing dishes or watching television, were experienced in the buff.

I suppose it's true that too much of a good thing gets old after a while, and the sight of her nude eventually had very little effect upon my libido.

Fraulein
06-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I like nudity. It eliminates almost all of the associations that people have with their social roles. If a cop gets naked, then he's hardly a cop anymore.

I don't get any complaints about nudity. Topless lunches are fun.

NeuroFizz
06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I like nudity. It eliminates almost all of the associations that people have with their social roles. If a cop gets naked, then he's hardly a cop anymore.

I don't get any complaints about nudity. Topless lunches are fun.
Tattoos violate this concept, though, particularly since quantity and artwork selection gives so much information about that naked but decorated person. In fact, tats could give more information than clothing in some individuals.

Fraulein
06-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Tattoos violate this concept, though, particularly since quantity and artwork selection gives so much information about that naked but decorated person. In fact, tats could give more information than clothing in some individuals.
Isn't that individualistic though? If someone really wants to live to work, then I guess they'll be "working" nude anyway. Oh well. I still like fantasying about someone stripping down to nothing and leaving all of the extra BS behind.

Are you thinking about the tattooed ID tags that soldiers, officers, and gang members "wear"?

qwerty
06-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by NeuroFizz http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2445484#post2445484)

Fizz, it's difficult enough when the flag is not at full mast.

I know a bloke who has a zip in the cuff bottom of his tracksuit trousers. Now that's what I call boasting.