Airlines to Charge Extra for each checked bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
United Airlines and US Airways have joined American Airlines in charging passengers to check bags on certain flights.

Citing higher fuel prices, United Airlines said Thursday it would begin charging domestic passengers $15 each way for one checked bag.

The Chicago, Illinois-based airline said the fee to check a second bag would be $25 each way. The fee to check three or more bags, overweight bags or "items that require special handling" will increase from $100 to $125 or from $200 to $250, depending on the item, United said in a statement.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/06/13/airlines.bags/index.html

Okay, so it appears that the poor passenger is hit again for increasing fuel costs to the airlines.

Whoa, what do you call the major airlines that in fact have long-term fuel hedge contracts meaning they are not effected by the current increasing price of oil?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKN1144640420080313

The dirty buggers have added a fuel surcharge to the basic ticket price, now they are going to charge for each bag checked. Talk about price gouging!

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
As long as Northwest keeps holding out (that's where our frequent flyer miles are, for better or worse).

But yeah, it's crazy. I hardly ever check bags, because I'm an extremely light packer and I hate the hassle of waiting around after my flight and wondering if my bag made the journey with me (Ive only ever had them lost once though).

Now this means that everyone else will also be trying to cram their possessions into their carry-ons, which will translate into longer lines at security. And more crowded overhead compartments on planes. And more bitter airline passengers. They're sure bending over backwards to make traveling fun...

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
As long as Northwest keeps holding out (that's where our frequent flyer miles are, for better or worse).

But yeah, it's crazy. I hardly ever check bags, because I'm an extremely light packer and I hate the hassle of waiting around after my flight and wondering if my bag made the journey with me (Ive only ever had them lost once though).

Now this means that everyone else will also be trying to cram their possessions into their carry-ons, which will translate into longer lines at security. And more crowded overhead compartments on planes. And more bitter airline passengers. They're sure bending over backwards to make traveling fun...
NWA and the rest will follow suit...bet it happens before the end of the month.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they will start charging extra money for people whose personal body weight exceeds a certain amount. Like maybe anyone over 320 lbs. needs to pay more.
That is not a joke, the airlines are actively exploring charging extra for "over weight" passengers. Then we will truly become walk on cargo.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
That reminds me of when I flew out of Amsterdam last year. Apparently there were "high winds" over the north sea. It was such a concern that they changed the scheduled aircraft (though you'd think any of those transatlantic jets would be up for it). Then when we boarded, the flight crew went around and had people move seats- some who were, well, big. They then announced that our seats had been reassigned for "ballast reasons" and could we please stay where they put us (I hadn't been moved). And this is in a huge, two-level jetliner, not some tiny prop plane. At this point I'm thinking I would have been more comfortable if they'd just cancelled the flight. It was KLM, those brave Dutchmen...

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
That is not a joke, the airlines are actively exploring charging extra for "over weight" passengers. Then we will truly become walk on cargo.

This will lead to business executives making decision about who to send on the next company business trip and who to passover.

I used to work for a firm where the administrator job (a really big deal job) had to fly out to meet with clients no less than once a year. It was very very competitive to land that job. Candidates for the job had to be well-spoken, poised, diplomatic, and have a vibe with their clients.

But now, the additional factors of a person's body weight will come into play.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Some UK carriers have been charging for checked baggage for a while

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
The issue that gets up my nose is that they all have hedge fuel prices, well below the current open market rate. I don't understand how they can say that they have to increase fares, cut in flight services and now bag charges, based on the increasing fuel price.

Status
Not open for further replies.