Band name suggestions

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
I'm needing a little help with deciding on a band name. I'm doing a little help for a band that's forming, such as PR, reviews, bookings, etc...

It's a great sounding band, but the name they chose is awful. The name they chose is "Smokin' Gun". I think it sounds total 80s. I cannot stand it. Their first show is in less than a month and I think they totally need a different band name before they start playing gigs.

The music they play is mostly originals. Their sound is a bluesy, classic rock, hard rock... Somewhere along the line of Led Zeppelin/The Black Crows.

Can any of you song writers help me out with any suggestions for a really cool band name? :Guitar:

I'd really appreciate your help, while I'm trying to brainstorm a name too.

Thanks!

celeste

Last edited:

Linoge

Registered
Reaction score
Daughter, perhaps. When I had aspirations of becoming a rockstar, that was gonna be the band's name. That, or The Cheesewillies.

>=)

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, we need more info. Stories! Something to help us personalize the band name. Why did they choose Smokin' Gun?

In six months, when the band makes it big, the story of how they got their name will be all over the music mags. I guess it'd actually be kind of cool if the lead singer said, "Well, the woman who did our media kit hated the name we picked. So, she asked people on her writer's board to come up with a better one. That's why we're called The Query Letter Quartet! You see, it's got good alliteration..."

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
On a more serious note, - having a lot of original music is good. Too many bands do cover with one or two originals. What if you took some of their lyrics and did some word play with those? Chances are, you'll spot an underlying 'theme' in their music, and can find a fitting name.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by RoseReifsnyder

...That's why we're called The Query Letter Quartet! You see, it's got good alliteration..."

LOL...That's funny! I asked them where they come up with the name they chose, but all they said was "It sounded kinda' cool!" But I think it sounds kinda' 'uncool'. I think it's cheesy.

They are a trio. Singer, who plays bass, a lead guitar player & a drummer.

I think what Ella suggested -- doing some word play with some of their lyrics -- is a good idea. Duh! Why didn't I think of that?! Lol...:Smack:

Thanks!

I'm going to pop in their cd and see what I can come up with.

celeste

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Rose,

I see you changed your dawg's pic in your avatar! He's so darn cute. I love those ears!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Linoge said:
Daughter, perhaps. When I had aspirations of becoming a rockstar, that was gonna be the band's name. That, or The Cheesewillies.

>=)

Although, I don't think it'd be the best band name, I think it does describe these three guys best! Lol...:Guitar:

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:poke: And then when the band is a big success Jenna will want to do the bio on them....(let her):D

poeboy

I've always thought a good name for a band is "Lost Marbles". Or "The Loose Screws", but I don't like the way the "S" sounds blend together in that one.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, i know a group of people whose last names were all Brunet, but they were all blonde. so whenever they talked about starting a band, they insisted it be called The Blonde Brunets.

that probably doesn't apply here though.
i like the lyric idea. and i agree that we need more info on the band. are they sushi obessed? obsessed with leather? blue with pink polka dots?

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
the poor elephants and hamsters! ::sniff:: you are cruel, cruel people! :mad:

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
...and i agree that we need more info on the band.

More info, huh? Lets see...

They're three long haired hippy looking guys, so I don't think polka dots they'd like. Lol...They're not into leather. I guess, just picture Woodstock. That's what they look like they've stepped out of. But without the bell-bottoms! ;)

They are influenced by classic rock musicians, such as Zeppelin, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Beatles, MC5, Iggy & the Stooges. They're also into blues, such as Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker...
(But definitely NOT Stevie Ray)

So, I think they're looking for of a vintage, hippy, rock & roll type name.

I'm still thinking...:idea:

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Jagged Eternity

or

<--Kitten's Tongue :tongue

Last edited:

ShadowGuide

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.votrevray.blogspot.com
Daughter is taken

Linoge said:

>=)

Linoge, Your idea is so good that another band has taken the name, and is doing well. My husband just bought one of their cd's.
So, kudos to you, but it can't help our pal here.

ShadowGuide

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.votrevray.blogspot.com
Celeste said:
More info, huh? Lets see...

They're three long haired hippy looking guys, so I don't think polka dots they'd like. Lol...They're not into leather. I guess, just picture Woodstock. That's what they look like they've stepped out of. But without the bell-bottoms! ;)

They are influenced by classic rock musicians, such as Zeppelin, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Beatles, MC5, Iggy & the Stooges. They're also into blues, such as Buddy Guy, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker...
(But definitely NOT Stevie Ray)

So, I think they're looking for of a vintage, hippy, rock & roll type name.

I'm still thinking...:idea:

What about their outlook on life or political stance?
My husband's band, The Edibles, got their name from an Ambrose Bierce writing, worms-in-worms out sort of sentiment. Likewise, Tool, got their name from not wanting to be a tool in the machine. (Related to a military thing, where if someone isn't doing the right thing, you can just wait for a tool/self-righteous sort to turn them in for being "bad" because they thought for themselves instead of acting for the team.)
They could be :
Down With That?
The Earth Muffins? (or another Granola-like term)
Love Machine?

How about a single word item they think they couldn't live without?
Amplifiers?
Tunes?

Or does an acronym from their initials get close to spelling a funky and familiar word?

Sorry, I'm not much help. I'll shut up now.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
sounds like my kind of band! How about:

Free for Friday (I don't know WHERE that came from)
Headbanging Hippies
For the Love of Rock

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got it! Hip. Call the band Hip!

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
What about their outlook on life or political stance?

Well, two of the three were in a band before that was being produced by Kenny Olson, the guitar player for Kid Rock, and had some big wigs take interest in them. But...Then they wanted them to change too much of their original sound to fit the image and sound of what the music industry thinks would sell. So, the two quit the band, not wanting to be 'sell outs' and go against what they believe their artistic vision to be. They believe in their talent, not what's going to make them famous. They play for the love of music, not to be a 'rock star' and would never sell out for fame. So, they left all that behind to start over.

Keep throwing those names out! I'm keeping a few in mind.

Thanks bunches!

celeste

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
which are you keeping in mind? so that we have an idea of what it is you want, that is.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Is someone stealing my posts? I posted a bunch of links to random band name generators this afternoon, and now... poof! :(

They was funny.

If Celeste is still undecided tomorrow, I'll re-post.