Illustrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Seaking

Doing what I was born to do.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a children's book several years ago and have done nothing with it. For some reason, I was thinking I needed to have it illustrated before submitting and since I cannot draw a stick figure, I didn't do anything. Do I need to have the story illustrated before submitting or can I submit the story by itself.

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
You do not need illustrations before submitting a children's picture book, magazine story, or novel (you didn't mention what kind of children's story). In fact, having illustrations can lessen the chance of a sale since publishers assume you would not be willing to sell the text without the illustrations so they might reject a text they liked if they felt the illustrations weren't a good match for your story or their publishing line. Often publishers like matching newer authors with more well known illustrators to increase "name recognition" and therefore sales of the finished product.

gran

cwgranny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janfields.com
excuse me....where I wrote "magazine story," I should have written "early reader." I tried to simply edit but my computer is being petulant. Pretend I actually typed "early reader" and I promise to try to stay coherent throughout future typing.

gran

Sonya

Registered
Reaction score
CWGranny is correct

From what I understand, most editors prefer to work with established illustrators. Send that book out!

Sonya

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I agree that a books chances for being accepted is to send it without illustrations on the usumption that your book must be solid enough to stand alone. Alas most publishers perfer their own in house or free lance illustrators to illustrate the books. After they accept the mss. is where I would have questions on how solidly do they stand by using their own illustrators....they want you to be a professional artist if you want to use your own work (or photographer), or if you have a friend that does great illustrations you then send them in seperate submission package to see if they are willing to accept the illustrations or go with their own illustrators. The main thing is to not submit the art with the manuscript unless you are a professional artist and it is vitally needed. Follow their submission guidelines down to the last sentence. I have one book that I needed an illustrationist for and although I'm an artist I do not do illustrations at all. I took a stab at it and was sorely disappointed so I had Dawn Landrum do them for me. She like to dabble in illustrations, she's wonderful to work will, and an incredible artist. You can find her portfolio at www.artwanted.com and use her name on the artist search.

Status
Not open for further replies.