Atonement

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS

i feel like crying right now.

one of the saddest movies ever.

but that old lady at the end kind of ruined it for me.

suddenly i thought i was watching the titanic and she was going to weep about a pearl necklace.

Buddikins

Registered
Reaction score
Mm the old lady didnt ruin it for me... She was the one that actually made me cry. I was close to losing it, and then she came up... and what do you know, I did.
I thought it was a great, the whole way though.
James McEvoy was brilliant.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I did not like the old lady.

It's a cheap trick, like waking up and it's a dream ending.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I did not like the old lady.

It's a cheap trick, like waking up and it's a dream ending.

No, it's not like a dream thing (and I hate the dream thing). It's really appropriate for the story, which is about WRITER and WRITING, the consequences of lies, and less about the romance.

It's brilliant, both the ending and Vanessa Redgrave's performance.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with maestro. The ending was brilliant and devastating. I knew what was coming. About halfway through, I just knew. And I still cried copiously. The word that just keeps coming to mind about that movie is devastating. I was, as the english say, gutted after that movie. I'm afraid to read the book. I have it and it looks at me every day, daring me to read it. But I'm afraid. Maybe one day.

I should watch that movie today. I feel like watching many movies today.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
After watching the movie I was just glad that both the people died. I mean it would be horrible if one had lived and had to go on living without the other. At least in the movie world.

Why in movies like this do they make dead bodies floating underwater so beautiful? They did the same with Titanic. I see it and I'm like that would make a cool poster for my wall.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sorry, can't get over the "old lady" comment. Not so much what people thought of her in the film, that's a matter of taste, but that, I mean . . .it's Vanessa Redgrave! One of the top actresses of our time. Not just some random little old lady!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's not like a dream thing (and I hate the dream thing). It's really appropriate for the story, which is about WRITER and WRITING, the consequences of lies, and less about the romance.

It's brilliant, both the ending and Vanessa Redgrave's performance.

Well said.

I love the ending. I could tell something like it was coming. I wasn't sure what, exactly, or how, but when I saw them still alive and happy, somewhere in the back of my mind I know something was up. Then the ending came and I had to hold back my manly, testosterone-filled tears of doom.

My girlfriend and I convinced my parents to come with up, and when we came out, my mother was still crying.

I thought it was excellent, and it's one of those endings that just makes sense, where nothing else would work, and that's always the best kind.